Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 25-06-2008, 19:29   #166
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough
Re: Application Throttling/Management

This is me now, obviously not STM but pretty poor d/l all the same...

That's my 20 meg, BT man is coming Friday to do the business.
AmAtoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2008, 19:42   #167
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandbug View Post
I am sure they will do so when they introduce the Nagra 3 system

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

That is not STM!
Want to explain why its now clear then

After my conversation with the famous tech support

Wonder if he reset something

Considering this is now at the peek time i should be just as bad as before if it was congestion.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:46   #168
xspeedyx

Maybe it was just alittle he-cup then sirius
Old 25-06-2008, 19:47   #169
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
Maybe it was just alittle he-cup then sirius
Well my modem did reboot all by its self about 20 mins ago.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:58   #170
xspeedyx

thats the reason why then maybe a software upgrade
Old 26-06-2008, 13:43   #171
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I doubt VM could afford Tony so they might have to settle for the bloke from the Mr Muscle ad. I think Trax can rest easy
Very good
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:17   #172
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

The problem here is no regulation is stopping this rubbish, it could be argued VM have been slow on doing this as already the majority of adsl isps traffic shape. Because they get away with it then it becomes a disadvantage to not traffic shape customers because you then have higher costs over your competitors. (which is cheaper buying capacity or throttling speeds).

So the uk broadband market, the highest speeds for sale but only for fast web browsing as anything that uses sustained bandwidth is tried to be throttled back. Sky is probably the only major isp currently not employing throttling.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:25   #173
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
The problem here is no regulation is stopping this rubbish, it could be argued VM have been slow on doing this as already the majority of adsl isps traffic shape. Because they get away with it then it becomes a disadvantage to not traffic shape customers because you then have higher costs over your competitors. (which is cheaper buying capacity or throttling speeds).
What you say makes sense, but the lack of throttling is also a competitive advantage - one that VM are still trumpeting about (albeit in a very carefully worded fashion!). While VMs new customer, discounted, prices are relatively competitive their standard prices are distinctly uncompetitive - something people have agreed to pay because of that previously mentioned competitive advantage.

Will VM be revising their pricing strategy in line with the revised service? Somehow I doubt it.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:32   #174
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
Games cause problems on sky as well, thus why they no longer let you keep interleaving on (i believe?)

They use more uplink bandwith than you think and believe it or not there is alot more gamers than there is p2p users online at the same time, each card is only 38mbit and uplinks soon get saturated (this is the main reason for slow speeds, rather than people downloading 24/7)
some honesty at last Downloaders have been the scapegoat for god knows how long, how this came about maybe isps planted people to start it off on forums, and isps themselves directly passing the blame on. But ultimately the cause of congestion is overselling of the product, over subscription, over contended what term people prefer the most.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
What you say makes sense, but the lack of throttling is also a competitive advantage - one that VM are still trumpeting about (albeit in a very carefully worded fashion!). While VMs new customer, discounted, prices are relatively competitive their standard prices are distinctly uncompetitive - something people have agreed to pay because of that previously mentioned competitive advantage.

Will VM be revising their pricing strategy in line with the revised service? Somehow I doubt it.
I dont know of any isps openly advertising they dont throttle other than aaisp and only on their own website. The biggest marketing tool in the uk at current is low price followed by high burst speed. Its why various adsl isps have no issue selling a 24mbit product for £10 that less than 1% of people will get that speed and is clearly oversold. I do know of isps saying that the fact they throttle as well is to improve your connection so they sometimes use it as a selling point. Throttling/shaping has infected the uk marketplace and is considered as normal practice now and is very worrying.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:32   #175
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Sky are using an automagic dynamic line management system but would have no trouble with interleave at all. Interleave actually saves Sky bandwidth.

There are no upload issues on Sky either, DSL being as it is there's equal bandwidth apart from at the customer's DSL line itself in both directions.

Think you're a bit confused somewhere on that one.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:35   #176
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Sky are using an automagic dynamic line management system but would have no trouble with interleave at all. Interleave actually saves Sky bandwidth.

There are no upload issues on Sky either, DSL being as it is there's equal bandwidth apart from at the customer's DSL line itself in both directions.

Think you're a bit confused somewhere on that one.

Sky stopped using interleaving due to it causing problems on the network, these days they wont let anyone use it.

Correct about the upload issues, i think it's fairly sad when ADSL manages to outdo cable.
Old 27-06-2008, 20:42   #177
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
Sky stopped using interleaving due to it causing problems on the network, these days they wont let anyone use it.

Correct about the upload issues, i think it's fairly sad when ADSL manages to outdo cable.
Who told you that? I'm sure the mass of people on interleaved profiles (the default) would be interested in that one.

The Sky DSL service is intended to be as reliable as possible rather than going for high bandwidth and low latency. Why? Because it's there as an upsell and potentially to carry VoD which really doesn't like the CRC errors that interleaving is there to mitigate.

I've never known the Lucent Stinger to have issues with interleave at all.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 21:19   #178
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
The Sky DSL service is intended to be as reliable as possible
Hmm. Based on my own experience of Sky Broadband, what was intended and what happens are two different things. I had a year of ranging from 16Mb down to 512Kb and back again, most of the time 6/7 times a day
Old 27-06-2008, 22:32   #179
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I dont know of any isps openly advertising they dont throttle other than aaisp and only on their own website. The biggest marketing tool in the uk at current is low price followed by high burst speed. Its why various adsl isps have no issue selling a 24mbit product for £10 that less than 1% of people will get that speed and is clearly oversold. I do know of isps saying that the fact they throttle as well is to improve your connection so they sometimes use it as a selling point. Throttling/shaping has infected the uk marketplace and is considered as normal practice now and is very worrying.
BE*, they have a FUP to cover themselves but i've never known them to actually contact anyone about their usage.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 02:36   #180
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

One of the worst things about Virgin Media is they keep the customers constantly in the dark. Like when the new STM times came in to effect I had to get make a formal complaint because I was being STM'd outside what I thought were the official times, only to be informed that it was new STM times. They hadn't even updated their traffic managment page. They only updated it quite a long time after they implemented it.

At the very least, they should inform the customers that there is going to be some changes say at least a week before bringing them in, and when they do make the changes AT LEAST inform them of the changes. Public relations is something they really need to get better at.
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote