Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Motorola modem anf 3Com router woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't print now over network

Old 10-06-2008, 18:53   #1
Margaret
cf.member

Margaret is on a distinguished roadMargaret is on a distinguished road
Can't print now over network

I have had a wired network set up for a couple of years (Just 2 PCs) without any problems.
We have just upgraded our Virgin package and got a free Netgear router.
As we only have the 2 desktops and the cable is already in place and we have no wireless connections I have just let it continue through the wired network.
Main advantage is that 2nd PC can connect without the 1st being switched on but now no matter how I try the 2nd PC cannot print over the network.
The printer shows up in the options but we get the message that document failed to print.
It works in the opposite direction and I can print to the laser printer (black) attached to the 2nd PC but that one can't print to the coloured printer on the host.
I have set up the network again and it says it is all OK but still won't print
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2008, 19:00   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can't print now over network

Have you checked your firewall settings and that you have file and print sharing turned on.

Also, make sure all machines are part of the same domain.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 19:45   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Also check for permissions (security tab on the PC that hosts the priner in the printer properties)

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 20:56   #4
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

Assuming that you could print before the introduction of the router, is it possible that upon "installing" the router you are now using a different range of IP addresses and if so, is the 2nd machine looking at the old IP of the 1st machine instead of its name?
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 21:45   #5
Margaret
cf.member

That could be the answer.
On old network host was 192.168.0.1
On new network is 192.168.1.2
Where do I change the settings to the new one as the network wizard only mentions the host by name

Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 22:13   #6
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

Are all PCs and router using a 192.168.1.x address now? If not, that will be the first change to make as all will need to be on the same range.

Secondly, from Start -> Run, type the following

ping [HOST NAME] where [HOST NAME] is replaced by the name of the host pc - do you get 4 lines beginning "reply" or "timed out". Also note the IP address it is trying to contact. If it is the old one, type ipconfig /flushdns in Start -> Run and this will clear the local name/ip cache. Then try the ping again and see if you get a reply.

Hope that makes sense.
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:06   #7
Margaret
cf.member

Hi again
The client PC can ping the host by name OK and vice versa
I have just tried again this morning and under workgroup computers both can see the other one and all the printers etc but when I try to print from client under status it says "offline"
When I open the printers folder on the client machine and click on properties the printer is there OK but the sharing and advanced pages are greyed out even though they are ticked.
Old 11-06-2008, 13:55   #8
Bri_G
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP 20Mb bb V+ Talk Unlimited
Bri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the rough

Try navigating through windows explorer over the network to the printer then right click and select connect.
Bri_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 20:56   #9
Margaret
cf.member

Sorry but I have tried all these suggestions and it still doesn't work

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

I have finally got it sorted.
I had to delete the printer off the client machine and reinstall it.
i had been trying for over a week. Thanks for all the replies