Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free double speed rolled out in my area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free double speed rolled out in my area

Old 18-04-2012, 18:57   #16
gumpy321
Inactive

Services: V.I.P 50
gumpy321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Free double speed rolled out in my area

Mine has "apparently" been upgraded here in Manchester. Well my upload hasn't gone to ten meg yet...
gumpy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2012, 20:15   #17
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

The upgrade initially is downstream only due to some issues with upstream bonding. Do love people complaining about only having their downstream doubled for nothing though, think you missed an 'r' out of your nickname poster above me
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 20:42   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

welcome back dude, long time no see
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 20:43   #19
gumpy321
Inactive

Services: V.I.P 50
gumpy321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
The upgrade initially is downstream only due to some issues with upstream bonding. Do love people complaining about only having their downstream doubled for nothing though, think you missed an 'r' out of your nickname poster above me
I didn't.

So when does the upstream get doubled? What's the time frame on that?
gumpy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 21:55   #20
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
customers never asked to be doubled in the first place, Virgin Media said they would double customers speeds, so its not really complaining when they themselves have told us they will double our speeds, yet not actually double our speeds funny.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 23:50   #21
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

So your TBB graph took a turn for the worse even though more load balancing is in effect, LOL! Got to love VM.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 04:34   #22
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
if they cant get bonding to work is it not a viable solution to just add the extra US's as seperate channels so reducing the users per channel? not ideal but better than no upgrade.

Or is the plan to just bond existing US channels?

Welcome back as well.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 13:45   #23
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Imho they should be adding extra upstreams AND bonding them. Bonding two already congested channels is lazy tbh.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 13:47   #24
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

I agree but I heard no confirmation of either way so no idea if its one or the other yet.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:59   #25
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I agree but I heard no confirmation of either way so no idea if its one or the other yet.
im not sure if they are adding extra but did see a post on the VM forum with someone locked onto a very low upstream frequency
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 14:11   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
Imho they should be adding extra upstreams AND bonding them. Bonding two already congested channels is lazy tbh.
I dont think there is a problem with the upstream which is why the stm is so relexed. They need to add a bucket load of capacity so everyone can hit 80% of their speed 80% of the time
Old 19-04-2012, 19:31   #27
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I dont think there is a problem with the upstream which is why the stm is so relexed. They need to add a bucket load of capacity so everyone can hit 80% of their speed 80% of the time
Nearly every VM graph I see shows upstream congestion and I believe the vast majority of VM congestion is upstream.

As to why the STM is so relaxed that has lost me. It probably just means VM arent so concerned about upstream performing well as downstream hence the looser limits.
Old 19-04-2012, 20:06   #28
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

ofcom etc dont help, always pushing downstream
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 21:52   #29
General Maximus
Ran Away

the weird thing is that I can honestly say i have never had a problem with upstream. I have tested it throughout the day everyday of the week and I have never have a problem achieving max speed, even on a Friday evening or during the weekend, whereas downstream can suck ass.
Old 19-04-2012, 22:45   #30
geordiechris
cf.addict

geordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to behold

I can honestly say since the upgrade my download speeds have been spot on.

I did upgrade towards the end of last year from my current 50Mb connection to the 100Mb service. After I upgraded to the 100Mb connnection I had such erratic speeds that I cancelled this service and went back down to the 50Mb service within 3 or 4 days of ordering the service. For example when I had the 100Mb connection, in the morning up until about midday I had the 100Mb connection I was paying for but come the afternoon I was lucky to get a quarter of that. Calling the faults team served no purpose at all which was why I went back to the 50Mb service and have had a consistent 50Mb connection ever since.
geordiechris is offline   Reply With Quote