Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 21-03-2013, 02:31   #3481
dwarven
Inactive

Services: 100mb
dwarven is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

And they still keep pushing back the fix for my problem, last month it was moved from mid feb to mid march, and I got this reply when asking for an update this month :

Quote:
Hi dwarven,

Issue ref: F001996558 is showing a target fix date for 19/06/2013.

My apologies for the longer than usual amount of time it is taking to rectify this. The original problem was with utilisation on the upstream channel. An additional upstream was implemented in the latter part of last year.

Once that work was completed, after careful monitoring, it was noted that utilisation was affecting the downstream channel.

The current planned upgrade works are to remedy this.

This does mean, however, that for you the date is being altered often. I am sorry about this, if it were at all possible we would get this resolved faster.

Please make sure you request your month-by-month credit, which, whilst not ideal should at least go some way towards making the wait a little less of an ordeal.
Another 3 months now just gets worse and worse
dwarven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2013, 02:37   #3482
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Lol.

VM capacity management SNAFU...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 02:50   #3483
dwarven
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Lol.

VM capacity management SNAFU...
Indeed you would think capacity would have been considered BEFORE doing the speed upgrades not after, I know naïve.

What really annoys me is I have to phone up to request a credit on my account because of their continual failures.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:04   #3484
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is very typical when dealing with capacity problems.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:35   #3485
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
Indeed you would think capacity would have been considered BEFORE doing the speed upgrades not after, I know naïve.

What really annoys me is I have to phone up to request a credit on my account because of their continual failures.
I hope that VM have added this to their lessons learned file. Release the upstream constraint and the downstream (that depends on upstream) demand rises significantly

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:55   #3486
dwarven
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I hope that VM have added this to their lessons learned file. Release the upstream constraint and the downstream (that depends on upstream) demand rises significantly
Would hope so but its more likely to end up in the bin
Old 21-03-2013, 18:57   #3487
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
Another 3 months now just gets worse and worse
The moving fix dates were the reason I left VM. The last one they gave me meant I would have waited a year for the fix in the end.

If they told you at the start that it would take 6 months or whatever to fix, customers would leave them. So the shorter moving resolution dates does retain customers.

The actual resolution date for my VM down/upstream issue still a month away lol
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 20:49   #3488
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Has the mid-evening bump returned?

Rubbish speed tests too.

Pingcraptic!

Here's the tracert:

Tracing route to speedtest4.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.107.197]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms REDDWARF [192.168.1.1]
2 11 ms 8 ms 7 ms 10.14.112.1
3 9 ms 10 ms 7 ms brhm-core-2a-ae3-1179.network.virginmedia.net [2
13.106.229.161]
4 37 ms 40 ms 39 ms brhm-bb-1c-ae17-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.174.73]
5 41 ms 42 ms 47 ms nrth-bb-1c-et-400-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.
253.174.226]
6 39 ms 39 ms 44 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.174.109]
7 41 ms 42 ms 41 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
174.18]
8 38 ms 39 ms 41 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
9 40 ms 41 ms 42 ms speedtest4.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.107.197]

Trace complete.

OK to the head end. Downhill from then on.

Any similar problems out there today?

PS Ignore the spikes. I have never figured those out!
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 20:56   #3489
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

'ps'.. samknows kit may be?

those humps are not on my tbb or f8lure monitors.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:03   #3490
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
samknows kit may be?

those humps are not on my tbb or f8lure monitors.
The spikes you mean. I had those before I had SamKnows. They aren't the main problem.
Old 21-03-2013, 21:07   #3491
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

your on shared network capacity. it can be someone else running it which is on the same connection channels as you.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:12   #3492
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
your on shared network capacity. it can be someone else running it which is on the same connection channels as you.
OK. That makes sense. The spikes don't affect my service particularly. They don't last long enough.

However the elephant in the room, yesterday's mid-evening bump and this evening's definitely do.
Old 21-03-2013, 22:09   #3493
dwarven
Inactive

Had the bump return as well yesterday and today :

Makes what is currently a bad service terrible
Old 21-03-2013, 22:36   #3494
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I think what TH meant to ask is during the humps, what were you doing? P2P; Uploading?

That would amplify on TBB whatever interference you get from others on your segment.

BTW, your traceroute - the first three hops take you past the Head End so I don't really understand your comment. The ping times from hop 4 onward are consistent and not at odds with peak times. I've seen much, much worse. But that consistency indicates that the bottleneck is at hop 4. I've confirmed that with my own tracert to your CMTS (at the local head end).

Tracing route to cove-cmts-12-ge130.network.virginmedia.net
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 27 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.153.156.1
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms winn-core-2a-ae7-1196.network.virginmedia.net [6
2.253.123.93]
4 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms brnt-bb-1c-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253
.96.169]
5 * 44 ms 13 ms brhm-bb-1c-ae8-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253
.174.126]
6 39 ms 38 ms 39 ms brhm-core-2a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.2
53.174.74]
7 39 ms 36 ms 34 ms cove-cmts-12-ge130.network.virginmedia.net

Trace complete.

Spo that's one for VM to answer.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 23:22   #3495
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Only affecting a handful of users, more likely to be a more localised issue than a national routing problem

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote