Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:33   #1741
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think newspapers should have a legal responsibility to report news in a neutral way, leaving any bias to seperate clearly marked editorial sections and commentary.

If there are regular or serious breaches of the code that would be needed to enforce this, the Government should be able to strip from them the right to call the publication a newspaper.

I know this would be difficult to enforce, but the blatant bias of most newspapers really has no place in a democracy, where people rely on what they read to inform them as to which way they are going to vote.

Brexit is a case in point - there are arguments for and against. If you bombast your readers with pro-EU or pro-Brexit propaganda, this will have an undue influence on most of the newspaper's readership and lead them to incorrect conclusions.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:12   #1742
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Most papers do have a bias but it used to be pretty well known and as private entities they are quite in their right to have that bias. People usually read the papers whose bias matches their. Where I do agree some care is needed is the more covert bias that can be present in actual news reporting using facts to present a different truth in each. But we don't want censorship nor the inability for papers to write editorials or comment. Overt bias is OK as the purchaser/reader can understand and see that the bias is present.

The BBC shouldn't have that bias in totality as it is paid more generally though individual programmes/presenters may have such a bias.
Old 06-06-2017, 20:48   #1743
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
The BBC shouldn't have that bias in totality as it is paid more generally though individual programmes/presenters may have such a bias.
Newspapers are optional. The BBC we're stuck with. I object to being made to pay for such a politically biased institution and this election has really shown up the BBC for what it is. Why should we have to fund this junk? You have to pay even if you never watch it.
Old 06-06-2017, 21:57   #1744
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think newspapers should have a legal responsibility to report news in a neutral way, leaving any bias to seperate clearly marked editorial sections and commentary.

If there are regular or serious breaches of the code that would be needed to enforce this, the Government should be able to strip from them the right to call the publication a newspaper.

I know this would be difficult to enforce, but the blatant bias of most newspapers really has no place in a democracy, where people rely on what they read to inform them as to which way they are going to vote.
Old 06-06-2017, 22:06   #1745
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

As much as I dislike the coverage that comes from some papers I am not sure it's wise for the government to intervene. A free press is a defence against government corruption and as such we need them to have as little authority over them as possible. They still have to obey the law obviously, although even then there can be exceptions, but otherwise they should be able to print and say what they want.

Also it's nearly impossible to rule out bias. We all view the world though a certain perspective and it's hard to rid ourselves of that. We all for example approach issues with a Western mindset. It's also in the news you cover too. The Mail and The Sun for example rarely lie but they might report only one minor part of something, they could focus on one finding of a report and ignore other findings with put it into context etc. Would you have to force them to report the rest of it? Gets tricky real quick.

Last edited by Damien; 06-06-2017 at 22:09.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:56   #1746
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Newspapers are optional. The BBC we're stuck with. I object to being made to pay for such a politically biased institution and this election has really shown up the BBC for what it is. Why should we have to fund this junk? You have to pay even if you never watch it.
Which is what I said. Individual programmes/presenters/editors etc on the BBC can have a bias but as a whole, being publicly funded it should be balanced and impartial.

And balance doesn't mean putting one "opinion" on for a couple of hours in the wee small hours to "balance" another view repeated in smaller chunks at peak time.
Old 07-06-2017, 13:21   #1747
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Individual programmes/presenters/editors etc on the BBC can have a bias.

I don't think they should. That's how BBC is propagating their bias. I suspect their time period coverage on both aspects of say the referendum was equal; it's the tone of specific reporters and commentators where the bias creeps in. Take for example Dateline London with a group of foreign journalists. The American is virtually always a Democrat who hates Trump and they are all pretty much anti Brexit.
Old 07-06-2017, 19:06   #1748
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Which is what I said.
Keep your drawers on feisty
Old 08-06-2017, 22:44   #1749
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Fingers crossed for a hung Parliament and a soft Brexit!
Old 09-06-2017, 02:39   #1750
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Fingers crossed for a hung Parliament and a soft Brexit!
According to Nigel he thinks a second referendum could happen.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:44   #1751
RizzyKing

Clearly the call for a second referendum is going to increase and a third and a fourth till we vote the right way.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:47   #1752
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Nope. If the Tories come short the DUP will prop them up if for no other reason than getting Brexit done. The Tories will form the next government, and Brexit will go ahead.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:58   #1753
RizzyKing

I hope so but i doubt theresa may is going to be pm for much longer and whoever takes over will face calls for an election.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:06   #1754
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I hope so but i doubt theresa may is going to be pm for much longer and whoever takes over will face calls for an election.
Not sure many want another election RK.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:12   #1755
RizzyKing

I don't think there will be a choice this mess is going to roll and roll.

Closed Thread