Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2015 UK General Election Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sue Perkins quits Twitter over Top Gear death threats

Old 15-04-2015, 13:44   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Sue Perkins quits Twitter over Top Gear death threats

http://www.itv.com/news/london/updat...death-threats/

People don't have any brains, to do this
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2015, 13:47   #2
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Sur Perkins quits Twitter over Top Gear death threats

Changed the title to reflect story

I think whoever started this rumour knew they were stirring up trouble. You only need to look around Twitter and Newspaper's comment sections at the time Clarkson was fired to see to animosity behind the idea a woman might host the show (I forget the name that was mentioned at the time).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 13:57   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Sue Perkins quits Twitter over Top Gear death threats

Now I know why I can't be bothered with Twitter and the like.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 14:21   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Why can't some people behave like proper civilised human beings for once.
Old 15-04-2015, 14:36   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Why can't some people behave like proper civilised human beings for once.
Civilisation depends, to a great extent, on peer pressure and fear of negative consequences.

Remove those (as the Internet tends to do), and you soon find out what people are capable of.

Welcome to the human race.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 14:53   #6
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Death threats over a TV program - the person or persons want locking-up or see a shrink.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 14:56   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I stayed out of the 'Clarkson' thread as I realised my views would bring down a raft of testosterone fueled wrath but I think this whole mess has been about an ageing presenter wanting to leave the show that made him famous without being criticised by all his loyal groupies.

Had he just not signed a new Top Gear contract and walked away along with his side kicks he would have had to face the anger of the shows followers but it served his purpose to leave Top Gear and keep his 'naughty boy' image intact.

The furore following Clarkson's sacking has been pathetic and I feel sorry for people, such as Sue Perkins, who are now in the firing line of a brainless mob just because the BBC did the right thing and didn't treat Clarkson as a sacred cow.

I left Twitter some time ago on a matter of principal and this has reinforced my decision.
Old 15-04-2015, 15:17   #8
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

What is wrong with people today?
Old 15-04-2015, 15:19   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I stayed out of the 'Clarkson' thread as I realised my views would bring down a raft of testosterone fueled wrath but I think this whole mess has been about an ageing presenter wanting to leave the show that made him famous without being criticised by all his loyal groupies.

Had he just not signed a new Top Gear contract and walked away along with his side kicks he would have had to face the anger of the shows followers but it served his purpose to leave Top Gear and keep his 'naughty boy' image intact.

The furore following Clarkson's sacking has been pathetic and I feel sorry for people, such as Sue Perkins, who are now in the firing line of a brainless mob just because the BBC did the right thing and didn't treat Clarkson as a sacred cow.

I left Twitter some time ago on a matter of principal and this has reinforced my decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Now I know why I can't be bothered with Twitter and the like.
Twitter is just full of keyboard warriors and brainless idiots these days.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 15:48   #10
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The same as always was. Platforms like Twitter just make it easier for sad, dangerous and pathetic people to get noticed. It's so easy to spout hatred, bile and nonsense from behind closed doors - it makes small pathetic people feel big and important. The hyped up media reaction to these so called 'death threats' simply gives these idiots the attention they crave.
Old 15-04-2015, 15:52   #11
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
The same as always was. Platforms like Twitter just make it easier for sad, dangerous and pathetic people to get noticed. It's so easy to spout hatred, bile and nonsense from behind closed doors - it makes small pathetic people feel big and important. The hyped up media reaction to these so called 'death threats' simply gives these idiots the attention they crave.
Old 15-04-2015, 17:42   #12
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I think this whole mess has been about an ageing presenter wanting to leave the show that made him famous without being criticised by all his loyal groupies.

I thought that for a while now ,the last few series have been pretty bland and I thought Clarkson was on autopilot just waiting for a chance to escape.
Old 15-04-2015, 19:20   #13
Osem
Inactive

Well it has been rather samey for some time. That may be why they decided to go round insulting people in one place or another. No such thing as bad publicity...
Old 15-04-2015, 21:07   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's wrong, after all while I like Top Gear, it's just a TV show. It's not something important. Certainly not worth killing someone over.

However, while Twitter and Facebook have made it a lot easier for these people to threaten others over the most minor things, it's not a new phenomena.

My sister used to work for the DSS (as it was then) in the Social Fund. Part of her job was advising people on their claims and entering those claims into the computer, which then decided whether the claim would be accepted or not.

Despite the fact she had no control over whether the claim would be accepted or not, she regularly got threatened over the smallest amounts (even £10 or £20), and was advised by both the DSS and the Police to take the threats seriously.

The worst part about the Sue Perkins thing is that she has done *nothing* to deserve this. From what she said, she was never in the running to present it. This is based entirely on rumour.

Unfortunately, it's going to continue happening because while Facebook and Twitter can both act very quickly when they are aware of this kind of thing happening, their automated systems do not seem to pick this kind of thing up reliably, and it would not be feasible for them to employ anywhere near enough staff to vet their services thoroughly. Certainly not without them charging some sort of subscription, which they aren't going to do.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 21:23   #15
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I dislike that woman.
she's simply just not funny at all.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote