Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home Plugs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Home Plugs

Old 21-03-2011, 21:49   #1
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
Home Plugs

I think the wireless on my PS3 is Fubared as you can see from the speed tests below, both PC and PS3 are in same room and on same wireless network.

So I was thinking about getting some Home Plugs.
Where the router is situated there is only one wall socket. From this I have a 4 way plugged in which has a DECT phone, Home Hub and modem. Can I plug a home plug into the spare socket on the 4 way and what sort of speed could i expect?

Quote:
PC Result

Date of Speed Test: 2011-03-21 21:37:19
Download Speed: 37148 kbps (4643.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5949 kbps (743.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Quote:
PS3 Result

Date of Speed Test: 2011-03-21 21:34:18
Download Speed: 1713kbps (214.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1577kbps (197.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2011, 21:54   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Home Plugs

I think that Home Plugs need to be plugged directly into a wall socket, rather than a strip, however I may be completely wrong.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 22:00   #3
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I think that Home Plugs need to be plugged directly into a wall socket, rather than a strip, however I may be completely wrong.
hmmm seems to be people saying you can and people saying you can't.

any ideas why the wireless on the ps3 is so pants?
Old 21-03-2011, 22:05   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Oh, & as for speeds... The HomePlug AV standard allows for speeds up to 200Mbps over the power line.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Hmm. Descriptions I've seen on actual products though say not to use surge protected strips, but yeah it seems to vary in actual use...

e.g. http://www.avforums.com/forums/netwo...lti-plugs.html

Quote:
Sorry, no idea. I've never used it on mine. Does seem odd though that the PS3's speed would be so different when both the PS3 & PC are in the same room on the same wireless network.
Old 21-03-2011, 22:08   #5
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:

You can but it cant be surge protected. Also some other devices cause major interference like remote controlled plug sockets and chargers (Even on different plugs or in different rooms).

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Quote:

It might not be that bad, could be a combination of the router you are using and the wireless chipset used in the ps3.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 22:09   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I'd already seen HomePlugs before with a single pass-through socket, but this takes it a step further: a combined HomePlug & power strip (filtered & surge protected):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-LAN-.../dp/B001NP5MAY

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/technology...wer-strip.html
Old 21-03-2011, 22:12   #7
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I'd already seen HomePlugs before with a single pass-through socket, but this takes it a step further: a combined HomePlug & power strip (filtered & surge protected):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desktop-LAN-.../dp/B001NP5MAY

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/technology...wer-strip.html
Not a bad price either since it has a few Ethernet sockets on it.
Old 21-03-2011, 22:15   #8
gazzae
Inactive

All I need is something like this isn't it? Then I can plug it in front of the 4way?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/200Mb-Homepl...ef=pd_sim_ce_1
Old 21-03-2011, 22:26   #9
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
All I need is something like this isn't it? Then I can plug it in front of the 4way?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/200Mb-Homepl...ef=pd_sim_ce_1
Yes, in theory. Though it is possible the 4way or devices connected to the 4 way could interfere.
Dont forget you will need two of them too.
Old 22-03-2011, 09:33   #10
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I got one of these, and it gives much better speeds via wireless than the homeplugs.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:20   #11
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
I got one of these, and it gives much better speeds via wireless than the homeplugs.
Good idea and a better price than most of the good quality homeplugs but if the OP is having wireless issues this may not remedy that.
Old 22-03-2011, 16:00   #12
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

To the OP, I,m sure I read somewhere that PS3's don't like complicated passphrase's, might be worth a punt before you hand over any hard earned.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 21:42   #13
gazzae
Inactive

Well I bought some Belkin home plugs today and the connection is far far better.
Old 22-03-2011, 21:51   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A question on Home Plugs.

A few years ago our house was rewired, and all our sockets go directly to the fuse box.

So would Home Plugs work for with this?
Old 22-03-2011, 22:00   #15
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
A question on Home Plugs.

A few years ago our house was rewired, and all our sockets go directly to the fuse box.

So would Home Plugs work for with this?

In my house they work great on any socket and get good throughput of upto 7MB/s on 200mb homeplugs (Some sockets are faster than others). Yet at my parents the plugs work fine and fast on the same floor but can't even see each other on different floors.
Best bet is to loan a set or buy them from somewhere you can return them if they don't work.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:
Well I bought some Belkin home plugs today and the connection is far far better.
Have you tried a speed test to see the difference?