Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hacking the BT homehub!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Should I Have A Modem ?

Old 10-08-2007, 17:47   #1
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light
Should I Have A Modem ?

Well should my parents ? They have been having a lot of problems with there internet connection since they have had there v+ box installed. Before v+ they had a old pace box and was using a wired/wireless router since v + has been installed they have a router and cable modem. Can the internet not just come via the v+ box or am i missing something ?
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2007, 17:57   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Should I Have A Modem ?

no... they have to have a seperate cable modem.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 18:46   #3
paul11974
Inactive

paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

He has just spent 1hr on the phone to virgin and still no internet connection

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Does he have to register the modem and then configure the router ( linksys WRT45G ) to work with the modem ?
Old 10-08-2007, 18:52   #4
what?
Inactive

Services: vm tv xl, 20mb bb, and phoneline(tu 24)
what? will become famous soon enoughwhat? will become famous soon enoughwhat? will become famous soon enough

what equipment are you trying to use to get connected at the moment?
the router(access point) from the previous stb and the current modem?

if it is they do not support the router being used with the modem, only with the stb.
can u get connected directly from modem to pc?

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

sorry you added that part on after i'd came onto page and astarted writing my reply
virgin only support you on a direct connection
dont support the lynksis router at all.
as i asked before, cna u connect direct form modem to pc?
what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:09   #5
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by what? View Post
what equipment are you trying to use to get connected at the moment?
the router(access point) from the previous stb and the current modem?

if it is they do not support the router being used with the modem, only with the stb.
can u get connected directly from modem to pc?

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

sorry you added that part on after i'd came onto page and astarted writing my reply
virgin only support you on a direct connection
dont support the lynksis router at all.
as i asked before, cna u connect direct form modem to pc?
hi as it stands his current connection is modem to router model number E08C007 i don't think he has tried just connecting with the modem

p.s he also did have a internet connection when they set this up but in the past 2 days he has been unable to get on-line
Old 10-08-2007, 19:16   #6
what?
Inactive

what? will become famous soon enoughwhat? will become famous soon enoughwhat? will become famous soon enough

to find it out if the faults on the vm end or with the router connect the modem directly into the pc using the ethernet cable.
once you are plugged in restart the comp and while its doing this unplug the modem from the power socket for a few seconds. if this brings the connection up, fault with router, not vm. if its still off, fault on pc or vm network/modem

do you know what lights r on your modem at the moment?
Old 10-08-2007, 19:44   #7
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:

ready

connect

enet

sync

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Quote:
to find it out if the faults on the vm end or with the router connect the modem directly into the pc using the ethernet cable.
once you are plugged in restart the comp and while its doing this unplug the modem from the power socket for a few seconds. if this brings the connection up, fault with router, not vm. if its still off, fault on pc or vm network/modem

done this and no internet connection could it be that he has to register this modem ?
Old 10-08-2007, 20:27   #8
what?
Inactive

yeah, on the ntl modems i think you do need to register them
think there is a site you can do it through (its posted somwhere on this forum)
and if it doesnt work i believe its tech support who register it
(though im not 100% sure so id wait on confirmation from someone else more upto date on the ntl modems and procedures)
Old 10-08-2007, 22:25   #9
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
yeah, on the ntl modems i think you do need to register them
think there is a site you can do it through (its posted somwhere on this forum)
and if it doesnt work i believe its tech support who register it
(though im not 100% sure so id wait on confirmation from someone else more upto date on the ntl modems and procedures)
I thought that as you worked in broadband technical support you would know everything there was to know in order to support customer's broadband. How would you go on if the OP called on the premium rate support line and got you> Would you refund the cost of the call?
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 22:53   #10
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Let's stick to the topic in hand please.

the registration address is: https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ can't remember the serial number off the top of my head, but a letter should have been sent out with the serial number and pin number if the modem does indeed need registering.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 16:41   #11
paul11974
Inactive

ok quick update i visited the parents today and managed to register the modem and get the internet but now its as slow as dial up what the hell is going on ?
Old 12-08-2007, 19:10   #12
what?
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth View Post
I thought that as you worked in broadband technical support you would know everything there was to know in order to support customer's broadband. How would you go on if the OP called on the premium rate support line and got you> Would you refund the cost of the call?

i work for the telewest side my dear friend, so i wouldnt need to support this

glad u got ur prob sorted
Old 12-08-2007, 20:28   #13
paul11974
Inactive

could it be that they would need to reset there router to factory settings and run the install disc again as the modem is new to the router ?