Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Firmware update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Firmware update

Old 15-08-2006, 17:09   #16
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Linksys Firmware update

Then you need to phone Linksys and they will advise you the correct firmware for your router.
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2006, 21:20   #17
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Why not enable to dmz on the router and put your pc outside the firewall, and opens up all ports, Not sure but it might help.
I have same router but version 2 running 4.3.5 and have no issues at all. My dmz is enabled.
This router contains a administration screen which enables you to ping certain sites and run a tracerout. see if that helps, also try restoring factory defaults, make sure the settings are all cleared.
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 08:20   #18
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Im on the UK version of the Linksys site, and there is no update for v5.1 of this router.

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...VisitorWrapper

There is however an updated fw on the american site, but this will limit your channel selection if my memory is correct.
Old 16-08-2006, 10:02   #19
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

The only difference I have had with previous versions of firmware (I have a v1.1 GS router) between US/UK is that you lose the high wireless channel Nos. It looks like a number of issues have been fixed in the US version. Linksys will eventually release a .9 for Europe/UK.

Code:
Linksys, A division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Product:                WRT54GS v.5

Classification:         Firmware Release History

Firmware  Date:		5/23/2006

Release Date:           5/30/2006

Last Firmware Version: 1.50.8 
- Resolves issue with using DNS server behind the router
- Resolves issue with loading configuration through HTTPS
- Resolves issue with PPPoE CHAP authentication
- Resolves issue with using Ping Plotter
- Resolves issue with SSH disconnects
- Resolves issue with DHCP WAN connection not acquiring the correct IP
- Resolves issue with UPnP
- Adds support for WRT54GS v.6
- Resolves issue with Access Restriction
- Resolves issue with incorrect time display
- Resolves issue with using subnets other than 255.255.255.0
- Resolves security issue when using IRC
- Resolves issue with WAN address being pingable when port forwarding is enabled
- Resolves issue with using Kultalinkki banking software
- Resolves issue where web GUI becomes unreachable if remote management is enabled on port 80 or 443
- Resolves issue with slow internal loopback, i.e., accessing a local server through the WAN IP address
- Resolves issue with accessing online game servers
- Resolves issue with AOL 9.0 client
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 12:09   #20
lordsi86
Inactive

Services: NTL 4 meg BB Cable tv and phone
lordsi86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61
Why not enable to dmz on the router and put your pc outside the firewall, and opens up all ports, Not sure but it might help.
I have same router but version 2 running 4.3.5 and have no issues at all. My dmz is enabled.
i dont think dmz will work with ntl cos they use dynamic ip's which is a pain in the ****. i have now got the firmware update and just testing to see if it works ok now.
lordsi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 12:12   #21
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsi86
i dont think dmz will work with ntl cos they use dynamic ip's which is a pain in the ****. i have now got the firmware update and just testing to see if it works ok now.

Did you phone Linksys like I said? Did they give you access to the beta firmware site?
Old 16-08-2006, 12:22   #22
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsi86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61
The dmz has nothing to do with whether the IP is dynamic or static. A machine in the dmz will have all it's ports open regardless of IP..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 14:02   #23
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

I think he means his LAN IP keeps changing because of DHCP, so he should change it to a static IP. That way it doesnt keep making his port forwarding rules invalid when it changes.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 19:51   #24
ameen
Inactive

ameen is an unknown quantity at this point

if i was you i will stick with the current firmware you have on your router
the v1.50.8 is for linksys wrt54gs U.S models the model you have are U.K
model so if you can,t find a upgrade on the linksys U.k website then there
isent any yet for the model you have if you still wish to upgrade it then this what you need to do

1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel. Double click on Network and Internet Connections then Network Connections.
2) Right click the local area connection that you are using then click properties.
3) Click the configure button then go to the Advanced tab.
4) After selecting one of the options above, change the Value from “Auto” to 10 Base-T, 10 half mode, 10 no duplex, or something similar
5. Click OK and then close.

1) Before you start, be sure you are using a PC that is connected to the WRT54G via a wired (Ethernet) connection.
2) Open your web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.)
3) In the Address bar, type in the IP address of your router. The default IP address is 192.168.1.1.
4) Leave the username blank and enter your password. The default password is "admin", all lower case.
5) Click on the Administration tab.
6) Click on Firmware Upgrade.
7) Browse for the firmware file that you have just extracted. The file name should end in .bin
8) Click the Upgrade button.
9) The router will begin its upgrade routine. Do not power off or unplug the router until the process is completed. This process may take up to 5 minutes to complete.
10) Press the reset button for 30 seconds after the upgrade and power down the router for 10 seconds.
11) Reconfigure the router.
ameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 15:35   #25
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

NTLs DCHP IPs don't change that often, especially when you have a router connected. Is your external NTL IP really changing with any frequency?

Internally the Linksys routers generally remember the MAC address / DCHP address allocation and keep reassigning it (my experience anyway - this may not be programmed), so my current hardware is allocated to 102, 106 and 108 even though the items allocated to the numbers in between have not been attached for months / years.

Are others using the connection when you get problems on C&C through the router, it may not be the router, but a lack of upstream bandwidth.

The router has packet prioritisation (brain fart means I cannot remember the technical name for this - AhHa Quality of Service QoS), you should enable this to your PC or to the ports that you have opened. That should help mean you get the bandwidth not the other users.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 14:23   #26
lordsi86
Inactive

Services: NTL 4 meg BB Cable tv and phone
lordsi86 is an unknown quantity at this point

the firmware is all sorted and updated. as far as i can tell the ip isnt changing all that much. i think mine is usually the same every time. i have tried to play C+C on my laptop thru the wiresless connection to the router but no luck there either. the problem with port forwarding is that it onyl forwards to one address.... same with the dmz (unless i've got it wrong) well my flatmate and I play C+C online together so this is going to be a problem. I'm really confused why is doesn't work. At home i play online with my brother... we have telewest 2meg BB and a linksys router (just a few versions behind) and it worked straight from the box? i've tried everything i can think of. can routers be made to not block any ports to start with?

cheers for all your help guys i'm a little over my head here cos i've never had to do it b4 which is why im so stumped.

simon
lordsi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 10:37   #27
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

Something ain't right here, let me explain

Hi, i brought just the oher day a Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster - WRT54GS from PC World and under the router it say revision 5.1 so its the same as the OP

anyway i regged the product on Linksys website as per the leaflet says www.linksys.com/registration and that automatically lists the right and latest firmware for the router BUT i didn't know it was for the USA model as nowhere in the readme does it say USA only or to goto the UK site for Uk firmware , so downloaded that one from the USA site - Firmware 1.50.8 updated my current firmware and all is ok, then i read this post, so checked on UK site and the firmware for mine list in the readme although my router is hardware version 5.1 (so choose version 5) that the latest firmware only compatible with hardware version 4?, lol

anyway all is OK using PC wireless, xbox360 hardwired and 2 DS connect wireless to play worldwide with no probs
mcmanic is offline   Reply With Quote