Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Halogen bulb ban

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Halogen bulb ban

Old 02-08-2021, 15:24   #16
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Halogen bulb ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I don't think anyone has to strip out fluorescent tubes, they just can't sell them after a certain date so distributors and shops will just run down stocks before then.

But you will still need to replace fittings once they can't be sourced
Old 02-08-2021, 15:29   #17
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
But you will still need to replace fittings once they can't be sourced
You would just replace the existing fluorescent tube with its LED equivalent eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brite-Sourc...127KNP0W&psc=1

I appreciate you may not wish to mix and match bulb types but larger offices tend to replace bulbs one floor at a time ie preventative maintenance.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 15:44   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't think anyone has to strip out fluorescent tubes, they just can't sell them after a certain date so distributors and shops will just run down stocks before then.
Quote:
You would just replace the existing fluorescent tube with its LED equivalent eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brite-Sourc...127KNP0W&psc=1

I appreciate you may not wish to mix and match bulb types but larger offices tend to replace bulbs one floor at a time ie preventative maintenance.
It does depend on the fluorescent fitting though. My understanding is you need to do different things if you have a different starter/ballast setups

https://www.simplyled.co.uk/info/install-led-tubes/
Quote:
Fluorescent fixtures all contain ballasts, which will be one of two types: electronic or magnetic. If you're not sure which type of ballast is incorporated in a light fitting, listen for a faint buzzing, or look for a flickering in the light. If you can see or hear this, then it is likely to be a magnetic ballast. Alternatively, take a picture of the light (while it is on) with your smartphone. If the resulting image has black bars or stripes across it, then the light contains a magnetic ballast. If the image is clear, then it is an electronic ballast.

If the fitting contains an electronic ballast, you must remove it to prevent damage to the LED tube. Disconnect the wires from the ballast unit. Remove the unit and connect the loose wires to form a circuit. Ensure the connections are secure and insulated

Depending on the fixture and the tube, you will either need to remove or bypass a magnetic ballast entirely, or just remove the starter (a small unit within the fitting that looks a little like a cylindrical 9-volt battery). Many LED tubes are packaged with an LED starter to make installation easier. However, if you need or wish to bypass the ballast, we'd advise you to consult a professional electrician.
Old 02-08-2021, 16:25   #19
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Sorry but this does make me laugh.

Everyone must change to energy efficient light bulbs . . to conserve energy . . whilst having a 3 TV's in the house, routers, game consoles, computers, washing machines (with 3 hour wash cycles), dish washers, electric showers, blah blah.

We could save much much more by simply thinking about how we use what we already have
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:32   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Every little helps…

Modern TVs and other appliances are much more energy efficient than those from 10+ years ago, showers are more energy efficient than baths (and you can fit shower head aerators which save water), we use 30C washes in the washing machine which saves energy, and only do full loads, etc.

Just because we can’t do everything doesn’t mean we should do nothing…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:42   #21
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Every little helps…

Modern TVs and other appliances are much more energy efficient than those from 10+ years ago, showers are more energy efficient than baths (and you can fit shower head aerators which save water), we use 30C washes in the washing machine which saves energy, and only do full loads, etc.

Just because we can’t do everything doesn’t mean we should do nothing…
I'm not saying do nothing, I'm saying don't watch so much crap on TV, have your toast light brown instead of dark, use a push mower instead of an electric one, share a shower

What's the cost difference in running a standard bulb for a year compared to an LED one . . . and what's the production cost difference?
Old 02-08-2021, 16:50   #22
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Washing line perhaps .after all wind power is the way to go
Old 02-08-2021, 16:52   #23
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Sorry but this does make me laugh.

Everyone must change to energy efficient light bulbs . . to conserve energy . . whilst having a 3 TV's in the house, routers, game consoles, computers, washing machines (with 3 hour wash cycles), dish washers, electric showers, blah blah.

We could save much much more by simply thinking about how we use what we already have
You need to do both.

I recommend reducing CO2 by drinking local hand-pulled ales and popping down the pub to watch the match, rather than buying a 75" TV.
Old 02-08-2021, 17:56   #24
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I'm not saying do nothing, I'm saying don't watch so much crap on TV, have your toast light brown instead of dark, use a push mower instead of an electric one, share a shower

What's the cost difference in running a standard bulb for a year compared to an LED one . . . and what's the production cost difference?
https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk/...-running-costs

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 473D46B3-9192-41B5-BB60-9A8D4B9A4787.jpeg (112.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-08-2021, 18:10   #25
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

45 bulbs per house seems a tad more than the usual house.
Old 02-08-2021, 19:22   #26
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
£395 a year seems slightly over the top too, for a few (ha) bulbs on for 2 hrs a day.

Still, it's someones job to convince us they're better, so there we go
Old 02-08-2021, 20:02   #27
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You can always trust Hugh to come out with the extreme.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 20:07   #28
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

We’ve got 47…

Mind you, that includes 6 in the dining room (5 bulbs in the pendant lamp & 1 in the standard lamp), 4 in the lounge (4 in the pendant & 2 standard lamps), 5 inset roof lights in each of the bathrooms, 6 in the kitchen ceiling and 3 side lights over the cooker & work surfaces, all the bedrooms have a a ceiling light and two side lamps - they soon add up…

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You can always trust Hugh to come out with the extreme.
You appear to have me confused with
Quote:
Data from OVO Energy and CBS News.
Can always trust you to come out with a cheap pointless inaccurate jibe…
Old 02-08-2021, 20:08   #29
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
We’ve got 47…

Mind you, that includes 6 in the dining room (5 bulbs in the pendant lamp & 1 in the standard lamp), 4 in the lounge (4 in the pendant & 2 standard lamps), 5 inset roof lights in each of the bathrooms, 6 in the kitchen ceiling and 3 side lights over the cooker & work surfaces, all the bedrooms have a a ceiling light and two side lamps - they soon add up…
How many are on for 2 hours? Also having that many just shows you don't give a toss about cost.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 20:16   #30
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
How many are on for 2 hours? Also having that many just shows you don't give a toss about cost.
I don’t know, as I didn’t do the research…

You might want to tell my kids I didn’t give a toss, the amount amount of times I told them to switch lights/tech off when they left rooms…

I live in a 4 bedroom house - the number of lights we have is about average for this sort of house (we don’t have lamps and main lights on at the same time - they each are for different purposes…).