Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 15-08-2016, 10:28   #316
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Perhaps Virgin haven`t announced the prices yet for their new boxes because they`re still testing the water to see how much they can get away with charging customers? As previous posters have said whatever the price is when it`s first launched it`s sure to come down within a few months just like the tivo box did. The key for me is don`t rush in to get it at launch because the fewer uptakes at the start will force down the price much quicker and perhaps lower.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2016, 10:33   #317
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Cindy's not done too badly for herself since leaving VM. After a spell at Vodafone she's now set to become Microsoft's UK CEO. http://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/2016...w3x93hguhlv76z
Perhaps she has learnt from those infamous comments as we all make comments which later in hindsight we might regret.
Old 15-08-2016, 10:48   #318
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Perhaps Virgin haven`t announced the prices yet for their new boxes because they`re still testing the water to see how much they can get away with charging customers? As previous posters have said whatever the price is when it`s first launched it`s sure to come down within a few months just like the tivo box did. The key for me is don`t rush in to get it at launch because the fewer uptakes at the start will force down the price much quicker and perhaps lower.
In my experience with technology there's little joy in the pain of being an early adopter - you pay a premium for living with the inevitable bugs and frustrations of new tech.
I'll wait - I'm used to waiting for things to happen, I've got a TiVo!
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 10:58   #319
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
If VM announced prices now then Sky would only alter theirs and VM would have to change theirs making their original prices meaningless. Far better to see how Sky Q is performing and then announce their prices in December. But even then, the number of special deals that VM and Sky do makes price lists irrelevant at times.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
In my experience with technology there's little joy in the pain of being an early adopter - you pay a premium for living with the inevitable bugs and frustrations of new tech.
I'll wait - I'm used to waiting for things to happen, I've got a TiVo!

Agreed. Early adopter = You pay the supplier extra for the privilege of testing their software for them!

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Perhaps she has learnt from those infamous comments as we all make comments which later in hindsight we might regret.
I think she went on to head up Vodafone's UK retail broadband and TV operations. More sign of those 100 apps than Vodafone TV!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 11:04   #320
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If VM announced prices now then Sky would only alter theirs and VM would have to change theirs making their original prices meaningless. Far better to see how Sky Q is performing and then announce their prices in December. But even then, the number of special deals that VM and Sky do makes price lists irrelevant at times.
Well there`s that too although Virgin will have to anounce the prices at some point and then Sky could still drop theirs to counter-act virgin!
---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Agreed. Early adopter = You pay the supplier extra for the privilege of testing their software for them!

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

I think she went on to head up Vodafone's UK retail broadband and TV operations. More sign of those 100 apps than Vodafone TV!
Old 15-08-2016, 11:05   #321
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

My Sony TV has over 100 Apps (Opera-based) - all but the usual suspects are crap. The only one worth having that's not on TiVo already is Amazon Video, which takes a while to load but is a nice complement to Netflix and iPlayer
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 11:08   #322
telegramsam
telegramsam

Sorry above didn`t come out very well! What I was saying was that virgin will have to announce their prices at some point and then sky could just reduce theirs to compete!
Old 15-08-2016, 12:43   #323
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
My Sony TV has over 100 Apps (Opera-based) - all but the usual suspects are crap. The only one worth having that's not on TiVo already is Amazon Video, which takes a while to load but is a nice complement to Netflix and iPlayer
That's the trouble with App Stores. Since Apple and Google made their own successful ones, it seems as though every manufacturer of any device with a CPU has to include an app store.

The trouble is, very few apps beyond games, streaming apps, fitness apps, social media apps and news apps are really any use. Your average smart TV doesn't have enough processing power to be a decent games machine, nor is it small enough to be worn or carried (so fitness apps are out). Social media is partly usable, but it's difficult to type on a remote control, so social media is almost read only, which sort of defeats the point. This just leaves News and streaming.

Both of which my own Samsung 2011 TV does well, but how many streaming apps do you need? Not enough to justify an App store, I'd wager.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:35   #324
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I remember Cindy Rose talking that Virgin had the contract for the Opera-based Apps.... it never happend though as she left....
Derekb108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:55   #325
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
Not true. Servicing and repairs/replacements are free with Sky Q.
Well thats Sky Q then, but the rest is what i said
Old 15-08-2016, 19:56   #326
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I'm hoping the apps "era" as far as tv goes will die a quick death soon.

I use three main ones: Plex (may it live forever), Netflix and Amazon.

There is the former Blinkbox (now TalkTalk) and Wuaki film/tv apps which are the main competition to Netflix and Amazon.

There's a few others like Curzon (films), Popcorn (old films), Digital theatre and the trailers app Cinetrailer and that's about all I look at on my tv beyond Iplayer/ITV/4/5 apps which I have to use as tivo is so slow and useless.

All VM need to do (hasn't happened yet in the history of cable tv..) is have a fast interface where you can access everything through one set of screens/menus/icons without having to go into separate apps. Surely it can't be that hard...?

Last edited by Horizon; 15-08-2016 at 20:21.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:56   #327
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
If they are following virgins model why are virgin wanting £200

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

In theory it's not a UHD fee, TiVo is a £5.50 per month, the £15 is a user fee for the box

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

With sky q it's free box, free call out and repairs and £12 a month with planned UHD movies and sports

with virgin box is £200 free call and repairs and £15 a month no confirmed UHD material
Are you talking about the new STB? Is there a confirmed price for this?
Old 15-08-2016, 20:00   #328
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Are you talking about the new STB? Is there a confirmed price for this?
Well it's now £149 for the sky box but that is the rumoured price
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 21:19   #329
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Are you talking about the new STB?
Yes.
Quote:
1. Are you talking about the new STB? 2. Is there a confirmed price for it?
No, so it's a bit pointless criticising or praising the pricing until it's confirmed by VM. And this will probably be four months away, possibly even more.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 15-08-2016 at 21:23.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 16:49   #330
SENSE
bc0041

SENSE is an unknown quantity at this point

https://twitter.com/virginmediacorp/...75337807863808

Last edited by SENSE; 16-08-2016 at 16:55.
SENSE is offline   Reply With Quote