Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dolby Digital

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dolby Digital

Old 10-08-2015, 08:54   #1
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light
Dolby Digital

Surprised nobody's mentioned this problem here yet. There seem to be a bunch of issues with Dolby Digital that have appeared recently. Pausing live TV and rewinding or fast forwarding causes the sound over the optical out to stop. Past recordings similarly come out silent. When watching a channel live and a recording of the next programme kicks in then the sound goes off. Occasionally even switching to a channel live the sound fails to come through and there's no Dolby Digital message on the amp as normal. Possibly some channels have more of an issue than others, like Fox, though that might just be my viewing preferences. Doesn't seem to matter if it's 2.0 or 5.1 programmes.

Sometimes you can get the sound back by pressing My Shows and then TV or switching away to a non DD channel and back but not always. At times I've been forced into switching the amp to the HDMI input instead to get sound back, but for 5.1 programmes that's obviously a downgrade.

Not alone it seems: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...v/td-p/2868329
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2015, 12:53   #2
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Dolby Digital

Hi steveh

Yes, I have the same problem, I thought I was going mad! I mentioned it in the TiVo discussion thread but I must admit I was convinced it was my HDMI splitter that was faulty then I convinced myself that the optical output on my amp must be faulty so just left it connected via HDMI on the amp instead to get 5.1 working.

I did google it but nothing came up, that must have been before the thread started on the VM forum.

I'm going to ring up VM when I get a chance to add my name to the list of optical faults. I'll also mention the two days of not being able to use TiVo in July due to constant rebooting. Lets see if they offer anything, I won't hold my breath.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:48   #3
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Looks like one of the admin on the VM forum has now admitted there is a problem with optical output.

Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long to fix
Old 09-09-2015, 08:34   #4
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

No news on when this might be fixed yet?

Not been able to play recordings in Dolby Digital for over a month now...
Old 04-11-2015, 10:12   #5
steveh
Inactive

Four months now since the broken update started rolling out and no fix yet. That's a bit rubbish really. Is there some disagreement between Virgin and Tivo or Samsung preventing it being fixed?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:20   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Allegedly Tivo fixed the fault very quickly in the US but it took a long time even for VM to recognize there was a fault. A few users have got round it by installing a little box to extract the sound stream onto an optical cable. I have one and it works perfectly.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36   #7
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Surprised nobody's mentioned this problem here yet. There seem to be a bunch of issues with Dolby Digital that have appeared recently. Pausing live TV and rewinding or fast forwarding causes the sound over the optical out to stop. Past recordings similarly come out silent. When watching a channel live and a recording of the next programme kicks in then the sound goes off. Occasionally even switching to a channel live the sound fails to come through and there's no Dolby Digital message on the amp as normal. Possibly some channels have more of an issue than others, like Fox, though that might just be my viewing preferences. Doesn't seem to matter if it's 2.0 or 5.1 programmes.

Sometimes you can get the sound back by pressing My Shows and then TV or switching away to a non DD channel and back but not always. At times I've been forced into switching the amp to the HDMI input instead to get sound back, but for 5.1 programmes that's obviously a downgrade.

Not alone it seems: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...v/td-p/2868329
Sorry I can't help with the issue but just wondering why switching to HDMI is a downgrade?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 13:11   #8
steveh
Inactive

If you have a system connected using HDMI from TiVo -> TV -> Amp then under the HDMI spec (well, technically I think it's an HDCP copy protection requirement) then the TV is not allowed to forward on the Dolby Digital stream, only PCM, so the amp doesn't get 5.1 sound.

Some TVs will forward on the Dolby Digital stream from HDMI inputs over their own optical out but many (like my Panasonic) are more strict and will only allow optical output from their own internal tuner.
Old 04-11-2015, 14:00   #9
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
If you have a system connected using HDMI from TiVo -> TV -> Amp then under the HDMI spec (well, technically I think it's an HDCP copy protection requirement) then the TV is not allowed to forward on the Dolby Digital stream, only PCM, so the amp doesn't get 5.1 sound.

Some TVs will forward on the Dolby Digital stream from HDMI inputs over their own optical out but many (like my Panasonic) are more strict and will only allow optical output from their own internal tuner.
So your amp doesn't have any HDMI outputs?
Old 04-11-2015, 14:12   #10
steveh
Inactive

It's a combined Blu-ray player / amp with just one HDMI socket for the TV so I can't go TiVo -> Amp -> TV.
Old 04-11-2015, 14:38   #11
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
It's a combined Blu-ray player / amp with just one HDMI socket for the TV so I can't go TiVo -> Amp -> TV.
Oh ok, that's where I was getting confused.
Old 05-11-2015, 13:07   #12
Joedm45
cf.geek

I too cannot believe it has been 4 months! There must not be enough complaints to make this issue high priority. I find it so frustrating that people spend a lot of money on surround sound set ups and then they are reduced to stereo just because VM messed up an TiVo update.

Has anyone got any form of compensation for this? I'd imagine it would be difficult seeing as sound is available even if it is only stereo.
Old 08-11-2015, 21:13   #13
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Has anyone got any form of compensation for this? I'd imagine it would be difficult seeing as sound is available even if it is only stereo.
I got a £30 credit when I complained to the CEO office.

Broken down:
£5 credit to cover the Tivo fee for each of my 3 Tivos for 2 months.

I was assured the problem would be fixed by then.

My contracts up end of November, so I will be looking elsewhere for my TV.

The whole Tivo experience is getting worse week by week.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote