Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installing virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cul de sac

Old 11-12-2016, 19:34   #1
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Cul de sac

We don't have VM yet but they're "on their way" to our area.

Our house has a sort-of-shared driveway of to one-side of the corner of a cul-de-sac. Would this present problems for being able to get wayleave from the pavement to my house?

Dodgy drawing:

I don't know how common this is.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2016, 21:26   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Cul de sac

I cant tell where the road is and where the pavement is, can you post a link from google maps
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 21:32   #3
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I don't want to publish my exact location, I guess I was looking for more of a general idea as to what happens in this sort of situation.

The road is the grey area in the upper right and the pavement is the white area before the curved dotted line.
Old 11-12-2016, 21:43   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

They will probably put a tee where the garden meets the pavment and dig a line to your house
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 23:10   #5
Onramp
Inactive

That sounds like it would be the most practical thing - I thought the neighbours opposite might own the driveway that passes my front garden - but that might not be the case.
Old 11-12-2016, 23:22   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If there is a shared portion of driveway then you should find in your deeds that you have right of access over it.

However, as has been said, VM will prefer to just dig across your lawn.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 20:14   #7
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post

Dodgy drawing:

I don't know how common this is.
Dodgy drawing is very common.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:38   #8
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Unless permission is granted to dig in the driveway then a termination box will be dropped in the footpath as close to the property as possible, it will then be down to the install team to judge the best route for the cable (or blown fibre tube if FTTP).

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 16:53   #9
Onramp
Inactive

Thanks for the info, weesteev!
Old 14-12-2016, 20:19   #10
Onramp
Inactive

Here is a clearer image.

My concern is that the neighbours to the right of me would be able to prevent the termination box from being placed outside my grass, despite that being the edge of my own area.

My understanding is that if the driveway is indeed a private shared right of way, I might have to get an underground services easement signed by all the surrounding property owners who have a right to use that area of tarmac. If that is indeed the case, I can imagine that VM would not themselves do that during the street works, so therefore they would place the termination box at the footpath boundary since that is probably "as close to the property as possible".

It would then be for me to get everyone to agree for me to excavate and reinstate the shared driveway between my garden and the termination box out on the path. I can't see my neighbours on the right (in the diagram) allowing this since the lady there has to get her car in and out of her own driveway regularly to take her kids to school.

My hope is that there is not a private shared driveway and that the area is actually public highway...
Old 16-12-2016, 22:04   #11
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

It is a private drive, you are best to talk with your neighbours as ironically your neighbour (to the right) would be the last person on the duct route to get service without wayleave.

Old 16-12-2016, 22:18   #12
Onramp
Inactive

I see - I thought that might be the case. Looks like my options then are either for my neighbour to agree to a trench passing through their property in front of their drive, or to rent another house that already has a cabled footpath directly touching its boundary.

Is it normally only that neighbour (or their landlord) that would have to agree, or would it be everyone who owns a piece of the shared driveway, even though their own section of that driveway wouldn't be excavated? (i.e. they have a right to enter / exit the area themselves and might object to the temporary disruption)

Finally, is this something that would have to have been confirmed (wayleave or easement between VM and my neighbour) ahead of such time as the fibre is laid down in the rest of the street, in order to be able to go ahead with the install at my house later on?

Reason I ask: From what I've read before, the install techs won't dig a trench through via hard driveway (wayleave or not) from a floor box that's out on the pavement edge - but that supposedly, if requested ahead of time while the street is in the planning stage, maybe the contractors could place the floor box at the edge of the grass area on my own driveway at that point, assuming the right agreements are also signed by the neighbours?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, I'm probably not using the right terminology.

weesteev you have been very helpful to me recently with my situation, I appreciate that. It would be somewhat ironic if after all this, I'm out of luck due to a 3m strip being off-limits. I'll talk to my neighbours. They're nice people, I don't want to upset them by disrupting their driveway ideally, so if they say no, I'll probably move house to one with a favourable setup.

Last edited by Onramp; 16-12-2016 at 23:27.
Old 18-12-2016, 12:10   #13
weesteev
Cable Guru

Hi Onramp

You are spot on, if its a shared private driveway then all owners would have to consent, would be beneficial in advance of any works if agreement was in place as all properties on the driveway would then get access to service at the point of build.

You are also correct that installs teams aren't geared for this kind of work, this would have to be carried out by a civil engineering contractor. Wayleave can be agreed well in advance and is just the case of each resident signing a wayleave form agreeing to the install of the duct (or blown fibre tube) network in the land. This would then become part of the services maintenance record on the property deeds (the same way gas, electric, Openreach would already be covered).

Unfortunately all it takes is one person to not agree for us not to be able to dig in areas like this, it happens all too often. I would speak with all the residents first and make sure that it wont be an issue.

Old 18-12-2016, 13:32   #14
Onramp
Inactive

Right - thanks for confirming that.

It looks like I would need 4 people to agree (well, more than that because some have landlords). I won't pester anyone before christmas. I imagine the street works won't start in our area for probably at least 4 - 6 months yet anyway.

Here's hoping...

Last edited by Onramp; 18-12-2016 at 14:00.
Old 18-12-2016, 18:51   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
I don't want to publish my exact location, I guess I was looking for more of a general idea as to what happens in this sort of situation.

The road is the grey area in the upper right and the pavement is the white area before the curved dotted line.
Take a screen grab of a close up