Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 13:13   #1576
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

HDR support will come via a software update "which will be automatically downloaded" when more HDR content becomes available -- with 1TB of storage that lets you pause, rewind and record up to 500 hours of SD TV or up to 100 hours of HD stuff.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 13:15   #1577
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm193 View Post
As a customer with a foot in both camps having a sky Q Silver, virgin broadband, telephone and a Tivo, I have to say am disappointed with the V6, yes its 4K but only for YouTube and netfllix I get that on my Samsung smart tv. Virgin should be negotiating carriage deals for before releasing a 4K capable box to its customers
Well, I for one am glad for the prospect of getting a v6 before Christmas. You have to understand that there is not a lot of UHD content available at the moment, so I don't know what you were expecting.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:16   #1578
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
perhaps this means that those of us with Android tablets will now be able to stream from the box and use TV Anywhere??
Correct. The Android app was updated this week and now allows that from a V6 box.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:17   #1579
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
HDR support will come via a software update "which will be automatically downloaded" when more HDR content becomes available -- with 1TB of storage that lets you pause, rewind and record up to 500 hours of SD TV or up to 100 hours of HD stuff.
Does this mean that those without a HDR TV will be able to benefit from this advance in technology, or does the TV have to support HDR too to benefit from this?

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Correct. The Android app was updated this week and now allows that from a V6 box.
Thanks, i'll just check.

Edit works now!! Thanks for the info Ben

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 30-11-2016 at 13:24.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:18   #1580
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveSheep View Post
David Bouchier said "We would quite happily put the 4K football matches on if we felt that this was something that our customers were saying."
Implying that VM can provide it but have chosen not to for the time being. If the demand is there, perhaps they'll look to do a deal - if they haven't already. Therefore, some of us are simply voicing that we would like to see it as an option.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but you have to remember companies run their businesses on what they think will make them the most profit for them and as such there is certainly no great demand whether some like it or not for 4K currently from Virgin customers and add to that the the high carriage rates Virgin would have to pay for it then currently it is not a viable option that is sadly not available for some who want it.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:21   #1581
eljay
Inactive

Services: Sky Q 2TB & 1 Mini Box, Box Sets, Sky Broadband Max and Sky Talk Anytime
eljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rough

Coincidence?? especially number of tuners

https://recombu.com/digital/article/sky-q-update#
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:22   #1582
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Does this mean that those without a HDR TV will be able to benefit from this advance in technology, or does the TV have to support HDR too to benefit from this?

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Thanks, i'll just check
You will definitely need a 4K HDR TV to make use of this.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:26   #1583
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You will definitely need a 4K HDR TV to make use of this.
Cheers, will have to find out if my Samsung has it then.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:28   #1584
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Coincidence?? especially number of tuners

https://recombu.com/digital/article/sky-q-update#
Cool! Thanks.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:30   #1585
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Cheers, will have to find out if my Samsung has it then.
Dump the Samsung and get an LG OLED

My Virgin Anytime App is updating at the moment too. It has a fancy new icon lol
Old 30-11-2016, 13:32   #1586
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Dump the Samsung and get an LG OLED

My Virgin Anytime App is updating at the moment too
Only had it less than a year

My next TV will be OLED, but I've been told that the best TV manufacturer of them all is Sony.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:33   #1587
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

My next TV will be OLED, but I've been told that the best TV manufacturer of them all is Sony.
LG are pretty good as well Richard.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:40   #1588
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
LG are pretty good as well Richard.
I agree, I have a LG OLED and the picture is fantastic. The 4K Netflix and Amazon content looks amazing.

Sony?? Maybe a few years ago, not sure anymore. They are expensive.

I'm not sure Sony have any OLED sets either, if they do, the screens will be made by LG anyway
Old 30-11-2016, 13:43   #1589
eljay
Inactive

Services: Sky Q 2TB & 1 Mini Box, Box Sets, Sky Broadband Max and Sky Talk Anytime
eljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Yes they are good but even they can mess up. There were instances recently of their TV's not working with the Sky Q - flickering pictures! To stem the flow of people returning their new Sony TV's for replacement by other manufacturers they had to rush out a software update to solve the issue.

I believe most TV's provided these days are pretty good. I have had a 4k LG TV for eighteen months now which provides excellent picture at any setting and no reliability issues at all.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:43   #1590
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

The 'best' changes from year to year, between price brackets and also as the tech changes. It wasn't too long ago that the 'best' was Pioneer with their Kuro plasmas, just a few years ago the best affordable TV's were Panasonic plasmas, just last year or the year before... i forget.. it was Sony w829's, this year it's Samsung with the KS7000 as the best affordable HDR 4K TV.

LG are the only ones making OLED though and any other brand that has them use LG OLED panels anyway.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote