Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 13:44   #1591
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I won't be buying one at £299!

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

The VM website has been (and still is) saying one off fees of £54.99.

Worth pointing out that there is no extra monthly cost, the usual TiVo monthly fee will still apply.
As you have a tablet, and as I suggested, you're probably not the target market for the TellyTablet. At that price neither am I.

With regards to price it's pretty clear from the press release it's £49.95 or £99.95 but a typo on their website isn't really a shock.

Good point on the TiVo fee though. What I really meant was there isn't an addition premium , monthly, cost for the V6 over and above what you'd pay for the current TiVo box. Obviously they have an inkling that people were unlikely to see the V6 offering enough extra to justify an extra cost, also removes one potential block to people wanting to upgrade.

On another topic does anyone know if there's a cost associated with the Kids app or is this linked to the bundle you are on?
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 13:48   #1592
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

I'm on the VIP package and considering it's £49.95, I might persuade the mrs into getting two. I can then replace my V+HD with a V6. I'd then have 2TB and 12 Tuners as the two boxes would be able to be paired via Wi-Fi. I read an article that said if you have two V6s you can watch recordings on either box, doesn't matter which one you have recorded them on..I can see a few people doing this.

You then get two V6s for price of 1...happy days.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:53   #1593
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
How incredibly negative of you, Mr Donald. You can get tablets for depression, you know. Or were you misleading us when you said you didn't work for Sky?

Personally, the only things I am disappointed about are the lack of a 2 TB box and no sign yet of Amazon.

At least they have brought us up to date, and the speed problem appears to have been resolved. It looks as though there are more apps on there too.
No I don't work for sky. I gave a lot of positives for the v6, all I was saying was there is some downsides also which we need to pay attention to also. I have a disability not depression and think depression isn't a joking matter

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
I'm on VIP - £50 is a lot better than I though it would be, great news.
I agree with you there our package remains same price till next increase and only £50
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:53   #1594
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
My Virgin Anytime App is updating at the moment too. It has a fancy new icon lol
It looks like a great update. Feels a lot more polished and has support for series link+.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:57   #1595
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media launches “game-changing” TV based around the world’s ugliest subscription set top box

http://www.seenit.co.uk/virgin-media...n-set-top-box/
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 14:00   #1596
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm193 View Post
Releasing a 4K compatible box with no 4K apart from YouTube and Netflix when is available is ridiculous not to mention that they're expecting people to pay up to £99 for the privilege, I paid a premium for my sky Q silver box because I knew I could get 4K on it how can virgin justify charging £99 for an inferior product. Why can`t virgin use the fees from customers who want the V6 and put that towards the cost of carrying the sky`s 4K content.

If it available to virgin at a cost they should be doing everything to get it sooner rather than later
Hi I totally agree I wanted to see the blacklist on 4K from sky living but no, sky cinema 4K no and sky sports 4K no
Old 30-11-2016, 14:00   #1597
MPH
cf.member

Services: VM Up to 100Mb broadband
MPH is an unknown quantity at this point

Just used the Virgin Media chat service to try and add TV/V6 to my exiting broadband package, I was advised it's not available yet & they are only supplying to select customers as part or a pilot, please see link to register your interest. Have I missed something (I don't typically follow the virgin TV developments)
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 14:01   #1598
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
It looks like a great update. Feels a lot more polished and has support for series link+.
Seems a bit faster too...Definitely a better look and feel about it, yeah.
Old 30-11-2016, 14:01   #1599
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
HDR support will come via a software update "which will be automatically downloaded" when more HDR content becomes available -- with 1TB of storage that lets you pause, rewind and record up to 500 hours of SD TV or up to 100 hours of HD stuff.
Bloody HDR content don't worry virgin, you can't get 4K unless it's Netflix and we pay £108 a year
Old 30-11-2016, 14:02   #1600
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
I read an article that said if you have two V6s you can watch recordings on either box, doesn't matter which one you have recorded them on
Yeah via the multi room streaming you can pretty much watch what you've recorded on either box...this works for the current TiVos. One word of caution though depending on your network setup you'll probably only be able to multi room stream from one box to another at a time. I can only stream from 2 boxes if I run several meters of ethernet cable from each box to the router as opposed to using homeplugs which is my permanent setup.

But since all the channels I record with became available for MRS it's become a great feature. So yes with 2 V6s you'd have 12 recording tuners plus I guess what could be termed 2 data tuners for the apps and in effect 2TB of storage.
Old 30-11-2016, 14:04   #1601
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Virgin Media launches “game-changing” TV based around the world’s ugliest subscription set top box

The launch was a whimper not an event for a game changer.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 14:04   #1602
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post

The main papers seem to be reporting it as an iteration rather than a Sky Q type revolution change and lacking the 4K content of the competitors.

I was shocked when my Hub 3.0 arrived. Similar design with what looks like chicken wire painted black on the sides. I genuine thought it was all bashed in when it arrived but that is apparently how it is supposed to be.
Old 30-11-2016, 14:05   #1603
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Yeah via the multi room streaming you can pretty much watch what you've recorded on either box...this works for the current TiVos. One word of caution though depending on your network setup you'll probably only be able to multi room stream from one box to another at a time. I can only stream from 2 boxes if I run several meters of ethernet cable from each box to the router as opposed to using homeplugs which is my permanent setup.

But since all the channels I record with became available for MRS it's become a great feature. So yes with 2 V6s you'd have 12 recording tuners plus I guess what could be termed 2 data tuners for the apps and in effect 2TB of storage.
With the V6s using Wi-Fi, won't this eliminate the need for Ethernet cables or homeplugs?
Old 30-11-2016, 14:05   #1604
eljay
Inactive

Services: Sky Q 2TB & 1 Mini Box, Box Sets, Sky Broadband Max and Sky Talk Anytime
eljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rougheljay is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know if their will be a minimum requirement of an HDCP2.2 connection on televisions connected to the V6?

Discussed the V6 with a neighbour. His older HD TV (Panasonic) doesn't have this connection and I know it is a requirement for the SKY Q (according to engineer) but don't know if this will also apply to the V6
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 14:08   #1605
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Maybe the wrong thread and maybe people don't know yet but I'll ask away anyway.

I'm on the old VIP package which came with 1 TiVo and 1 V Box (which we don't have as we have the V+) and we are paying more than we should, I was just waiting for this announcement before ringing them. So I assume I could phone Virgin and get put onto the new VIP package which includes two TiVo's (1TB and 500gb) for £120pm but pay £100 for two V6's instead of the TiVo's and it would still be £120pm but a one off fee of £100? I'd hope it would be as simple as that.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote