Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview HD when?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freeview HD when?

Old 04-10-2009, 21:46   #1
redsand451
Inactive

redsand451 is an unknown quantity at this point
Freeview HD when?

Does anyone know when HD channels on freeview are due (Granada region)?

Also will this require a new freeview box and if so are there any PVRs that will cater for the HD channels?

(I currently have virgin media but contemplating getting V+ with HD but seems pointless to pay £5 per month subscription if I can get almost the same through freeview).
redsand451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2009, 23:06   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview HD when?

The HD broadcasts start in December - although the HD Freeview boxes won't be around until next year apparently
Old 04-10-2009, 23:59   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

A new box will be required, as Freeview HD will be using MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC / H.264) instead of the current MPEG-2, & DVB-T2 instead of the current DVB-T.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:03   #4
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

The BBC are forcing freeview HD to air. Their plan is to get Freeview HD out to 50% of the UK population in time to watch a soccer match final which people won't care about .. as England WON'T be in it anyway. They will not be waiting for analogue switch off.

DVB-T2 boxes Exist But are not Licensed to be DVB-T2 as the BBC won't confirm the specs needed.
The usual box maker Humax have been waiting to push out freeview HD licensed DVB-T2 boxes since August again the BBC have been stalling.
Pace gave up and now are going to wait till next year to release their freeview HD box.
Panasonic have been dead quite about it, may be due to there Freesat HD PVR and BD recorder deal they have .
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 19:59   #5
redsand451
Inactive

redsand451 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like 'don't hold your breath'.....(what's the point of broadcasting it if no one can get a box to watch it??!!)

Think I'll go with V+ and then decide in a couple of years if freeview HD is up to scratch.
redsand451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 20:10   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Freeview HD is never going to be up to scratch because terrestrial broadcasting doesn't have the bandwidth to do it justice. They're having to reduce the bitrate of some of the existing Freeview SD channels in order to make room for HD, and the HD channels themselves will have poorer bitrates than their Freesat equivalents.

If you want a PVR more than you want subscription-based TV services, don't mess about signing your money away on a contract with VM, go and buy a Humax Freesat-HD box and a dish.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 21:50   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
and the HD channels themselves will have poorer bitrates than their Freesat equivalents.
They are also only going to be 720
Old 05-10-2009, 22:31   #8
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

1080i's a bad idea anyway. 720p should improve things since it's all most HDTVs support (1366x768 resolution on them).
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12   #9
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the latest whispers were they were going for 1080i, just like Dsat. Can't find owt to back me up though.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

The standard being used can support up to 1080i apparently, but they are launching with 720p - I assume for bandwidth reasons.
Old 07-10-2009, 21:23   #11
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

That and 720p50 F1 looks far more awesome than 1080i50 F1.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote