Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat and using an old card?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freesat and using an old card?

Old 27-08-2009, 13:14   #1
micah777
Inactive

micah777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Freesat and using an old card?

Hello,

I use to have sky but havent used it for a while now. Anyhow my girlfriend gave me her old sky box with its card in it. So I hooked it up and now recieve freesat. Do I need to buy my own sky card ? ie its not illegal or anything daft like that if I use my girlfriends card?
micah777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2009, 13:29   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat and using an old card?

It's not illegal. You can continue to use it for as long as it works. However, Sky is currently rolling out replacement cards to all subscribers and cancelling old ones, so the card you have will cease working at some point over the next few months. When that happens you will have to contact Sky and ask for a FreesatFromSky card. They will charge you about £20 for this IIRC.

Or you could go and buy a basic, true Freesat box - more info at www.freesat.co.uk or www.joinfreesat.co.uk - and never have to worry about buying a replacement card ever again.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:46   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Just to add to Chris' post though:

When the card does stop working, you won't lose all channels, just the "Free to View" channels (free but encrypted channels). I think this is mainly just the various "Five" channels, & Sky 3.

No card is needed to receive the "Free to Air" channels (free & unencrypted).

As Chris said though, it's worth looking at proper Freesat. No need for a card at all, no need to have a subscription to access PVR features if you ever have a PVR box (unlike Sky+ & Sky+HD), & uses the same dish.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:55   #4
micah777
Inactive

Thanks for that! Ive just taken my girlfriends card out and it made no difference to the channels I recieve??? I still recieve them all without the card in??
Old 27-08-2009, 13:56   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I thought that there was now only a few channels (SKY3, Five Life (Fiver), Five US ) that still needed the FTV card due to the introduction of FREESAT and the fact that they've all gone to no encryption, even on an old sky box.. ?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 14:04   #6
micah777
Inactive

Actually just been going through the cannels and some of the channels have been removed since I took out the viewing card....ie fiver
Old 27-08-2009, 14:11   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Not an official site but has a good upto date listing as to what's available

http://www.sam-radford.me.uk/ftv.htm
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 18:05   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah777 View Post
Actually just been going through the cannels and some of the channels have been removed since I took out the viewing card....ie fiver
Yes, there are a handful of channels that are free-to-view but not free-to-air. That means you need a Sky card to decrypt them. If you never watch these channels it makes no difference to you whether you have a Sky card in the box or not. This is largely thanks to the true Freesat service, which is co-owned by the BBC and ITV. Before Freesat came along many channels were free-to-view but not free-to-air, so you needed a Sky card to watch just about anything except the BBC. Since Freesat launched, and requires boxes to work without cards, most channels have now switched to full free-to-air operations. Those that haven't will do so over the next year or thereabouts.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12   #9
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's not illegal. You can continue to use it for as long as it works. However, Sky is currently rolling out replacement cards to all subscribers and cancelling old ones, so the card you have will cease working at some point over the next few months. When that happens you will have to contact Sky and ask for a FreesatFromSky card. They will charge you about £20 for this IIRC.

Or you could go and buy a basic, true Freesat box - more info at www.freesat.co.uk or www.joinfreesat.co.uk - and never have to worry about buying a replacement card ever again.
I notice Sky have now started showing a splash screen on programs that can only be removed by hitting the BACK button and thus preventing a Tivo from controlling it. Is this the same thing?
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:21   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

IIRC the splash screen is part of their plan for warning FSFS users that they need to arrange to buy a new card. I've not seen it myself yet though.