Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 14:24   #916
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Probably not, but I don't see why any trade negotiations could not be done and finalised in that period.
That's how i understand the process ,whilst we will still be bound by all EU laws and treaties until we have formally left there is nothing stopping us negotiating treaties to take effect from the day we leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I don't see why we can't make overtures to various nations, I suspect many theoretical possibilities where considered even prior to last Thursday, but it takes a long time to hammer out trade deals. They're messy things.

The bigger problem seems to quite literally be a lack of manpower. Reports last weekend said we don't have enough trade negotiators to deal with the EU yet let alone to go out and strike up deals with other nations. Finally any prospect deals then need input from different government departments/sectors of industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Considering that the USA now wants a deal (Though that may be TIPP which is unacceptable) at least talks are starting.

Also NZ have offered their negotiators to help us out apparently. I'll give links when I get home in a couple of hrs.
here ya go

Advertisement
Old 01-07-2016, 14:34   #917
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
That's how i understand the process ,whilst we will still be bound by all EU laws and treaties until we have formally left there is nothing stopping us negotiating treaties to take effect from the day we leave

here ya go
Yep that's excellent news we're gonna need them I feel.
Old 01-07-2016, 14:37   #918
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Seems like a very practical solution which may inspire financial markets to have a little more faith in our ability to ride out this crisis.

Hope S&P restore our Triple A rating too.
Old 01-07-2016, 14:40   #919
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Seems like a very practical solution which may inspire financial markets to have a little more faith in our ability to ride out this crisis.

Hope S&P restore our Triple A rating too.
Does kinda illustrate how much Brussels has taken over though doesn't it

Old 01-07-2016, 15:19   #920
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Doesn't mean we can't have 'exploratory' meetings. Informal chats here and there.
Well that depends on how much the EU wishes to punish us.
Old 01-07-2016, 16:23   #921
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Does kinda illustrate how much Brussels has taken over though doesn't it
The EU is a kind of private members club with the 6 founder members as the committee which makes the "house rules" and the other EU leaders are the club members who are required to obey the house rules.

Since the committee operates to the benefit of the founder members it follows that if you don't follow the house rules you will be punished in some way given that the house rules really debar leaders from any independent thinking and action.

Given the dissatisfaction in the EU I often wondered if the UK could in conjunction with others found their own version of the EU but with a better set of house rules.
Old 01-07-2016, 22:35   #922
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
No.
Damn! Well we can at least set trade deals up to kick in once we are fully out.
Old 01-07-2016, 23:32   #923
RizzyKing

There are plenty of trading options out there and some of them are very willing to establish trade with the UK, as Marty has said this is an opportunity to reinvigorate UK manufacturing again and obtain a more balanced economy. In the past the UK does best when it has to innovate and work for it's rewards and the people of this nation were also at their best under those conditions. It's easy to be pessimistic at times like this even natural but with the right leader believing in this country this could be the start of something very good for the UK we just have to be more confident in ourselves.

Old 01-07-2016, 23:39   #924
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Which manufacturing sector(s) should we re-invigorate?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-07-2016, 23:40   #925
RizzyKing

Trade will dictate that as we will tailor to what's needed and what we are capable of.

Old 01-07-2016, 23:44   #926
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Competing against low-wage economies in clothing, textiles, electronics, furniture, cars, etc. - not sure what's left.

We're very good at high end stuff - commodities, we can't compete on price.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:05   #927
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Competing against low-wage economies in clothing, textiles, electronics, furniture, cars, etc. - not sure what's left.

We're very good at high end stuff - commodities, we can't compete on price.

Well in the UK the lowest paid workers earn less in real terms than low paid workers in the 1860's!!!! Also worth mentioning Britains pensions are on average the worst in Europe.

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:40 ----------

If Brexit cause a temporary drop in incomes then turn off Sky/virgin, mobile phones, no more takeaways, no fast food, ect. Maybe Brexit stops us being slaves to consumerism... OMG I'm not who I thought I was,

Brexit has woke me up a bit lol, I was a blind stupid consumer doing what I was told. An lived my life via interest rates...

Imagine we treasure every penny we earn, keep it under the mattress don't "consume". But but but under the mattress you won't get interest!!! Fine I don't want any lol. We have all the money , they just spend hours figuring out how to get it from us.

Don't get me wrong I'm not about to urinate up a bank and throw paint at McDonalds but, what if we start keeping the money we earn? It all fails, it's a giant Ponzi scheme!

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

We do t need a New World Order, we don't need a revolution, we don't need a leader, we just need to keep our money. That's how you change things, an a few pints of 1664,

Last edited by RBMark; 02-07-2016 at 00:53.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:56   #928
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I think its mostly the 1664 talking
Old 02-07-2016, 10:44   #929
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Which manufacturing sector(s) should we re-invigorate?
Maybe we could look at what manufactured goods we currently import and see which of those we can manufacture ourselves.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:20   #930
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Maybe we could look at what manufactured goods we currently import and see which of those we can manufacture ourselves.
As Hugh says its not as simple as many think to build up our manufacturing base again against such fierce competition and lower prices abroad.