Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 08-11-2007, 00:40   #106
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: iPhone UK Release info

It depends really, The problem is that the likes of Nokia target the European market and hence their phones are quite advanced and have 3G etc. Apple have obviously targeted the American market and in that sense they are behind and less attractive in Europe since no 3G in a £300 phone is quite a ****-take.

On the other hand they have also made quite a few leaps forward ahead of Nokia in terms of interface and use. The iPhone is very nice. If they just improved the connection and dropped the price they would have a excellent product. I hope they fix these before I am due for a upgrade on O2
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35   #107
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

So anyone got one yet??
Old 09-11-2007, 13:36   #108
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Just been down to carphone whorehouse and the o2 shop. Both have copious amounts due in. The o2 shop is closing at 2pm and opening at 6.02pm whilst the carphone whorehouse is staying open al day and launching the phone at 6.00pm and staying open until 10pm (CPW also say they are getting 40-50 in).

So I've got the dosh, I'm in the area, I've cleared it with the other half what is there to stop me getting one :-)

I like the phone, I will get an ipod either way, I like the interface, I like the unlimited data and free wi-fi. I'm not fussed about the minutes as its more texts than I have now and don't go over them. I was also considering getting a usb dongle so My tariff was going to be £30 plus £10 a month anyway.

O the torment.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 13:42   #109
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Does anyone know if it works with a current 02 sim card?
Old 09-11-2007, 13:44   #110
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Does anyone know if it works with a current 02 sim card?
You get a new sim card in the iphone. You then have to plug your iphone into your computer and use itunes to sync it and migrate over your number.

Your old phone sim will not work.
Old 09-11-2007, 16:00   #111
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Only thing putting me off is the £269 price tag, 18 Month Contract, no 3G and also the fact that I'd be stuck on O2.

Other than that I really want one Might just get an iPod touch instead.
Old 09-11-2007, 16:50   #112
handyman
Permanently Banned

£269 not putting me off, 18 month contract I'm 18 months into my current contract so thats no issue. 3g aint a bother as have the wi-fi and as for being stuck with o2 then I've been with then 6 years as it is.

Of course I might just get a Lg Viewty stick a big card in it and get a Jawbone headset. Or a Sony P1.

Off to the o2 shop in 10 mins to see :-)
Old 09-11-2007, 17:32   #113
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Let us know your thoughts Handyman.
Old 09-11-2007, 17:38   #114
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Well if I am being tied to an 18 month contract at £35 a month I don't think I should still have to pay £269 for the phone.

Give it a few months and it will probably drop.
Old 09-11-2007, 18:05   #115
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

funny clip on the beeb website ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7085643.stm watch the Geek Test
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 18:35   #116
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

£689 and then any extra charges is a bit of con...
Old 09-11-2007, 18:37   #117
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I'll admit the iPhone is very overpriced. But the way people keep adding the cost of the contract onto the total price is dishonest imo. All phones cost more when you factor the contract price in.
Old 09-11-2007, 19:04   #118
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Excellent technology but wasted on a phone. Great if you like showing off etc though.

But it would take a lot for me to get one, and to be honest I don't think I'd consider it because it's a phone. I like to put something in my pocket and forget about it and not pay something so over priced that I'd be worrying about it all the time.

I did see a comical advert where it was the N95 vs the Iphone, and in the end they preferred their own oldie types because it's basically all you want is a phone and a much more simpler thing to use at the end of the day.

Imagine 2 weeks after paying out "Oh my God !! I've got a scratch on it".
Old 09-11-2007, 19:55   #119
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
£689 and then any extra charges is a bit of con...
ok, this does not look as good, but i think kills the ipod feature wise!

Price: £485.86 sim free

http://www.portagadgets.com/uk/produ...roductid=25434

Quote:
Up to 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944 pixels) camera, Carl Zeiss optics, Tessar lens, MPEG-4 VGA video capture of up to 30 fps
- Direct connection to compatible TV via Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U, included in box) or wireless LAN/UPnP
- Front camera, CIF (352 x 288) sensor
- Digital stereo microphone
- Nokia Lifeblog 2.0 support
- Video and still image editors
- Flash modes: on, off, automatic, red-eye reduction
- White balance: automatic, sunny, cloudy, incandescent, fluorescent
- Scene: automatic, night
- Auto focus
- Digital music player - supports MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC/eAAC+/WMA/M4A with playlists and equalizer
- Integrated hands-free speaker
- OMA DRM 2.0 & WMDRM support for music
- Stereo FM radio (87.5-108MHz /76-90MHz)*
- Integrated wireless LAN (802.11 b/g) and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)
- Bluetooth wireless technology with A2DP (Bluetooth stereo audio)
- USB 2.0 via Micro USB interface and mass storage class support to support drag and drop functionality
- 3.5 mm stereo headphone plug (Nokia AV Connector) and TV out support (PAL/NTSC)
yes its the new N95 i have been keeping an eye on the progress of nokia's phones, notorious for rushing phone releases then creating a follow up soon after
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 20:00   #120
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

I read that the plastic used in the iphone earbuds is toxic, there's a bit about it in the latest micro mart. Remember kids the earbuds are not sweets
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote