Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Generic WR214E router problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Generic WR214E router problems

Old 02-01-2007, 14:49   #1
mikehextall
Inactive

mikehextall is an unknown quantity at this point
Generic WR214E router problems

Ive today purchased a Generic WR214E router with wireless capabilities, the router works fine and i can access the routers setup page wirelessly using my laptop, i cannot however access the internet through my NTL cable modem, which i have connected to my router, all the lights are and i cannot understand y, someone please help me
mikehextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 14:51   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Generic WR214E router problems

to Cable Forum

When you connected up the router, did you power off the modem for 30 seconds or so?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 14:52   #3
mikehextall
Inactive

what do you mean? connect everything together and then turn the modem off for 30 seconds?
Old 02-01-2007, 14:55   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

yes, turn off the power to modem, router and computer(s). Plug in your new ethernet connections to the router (old cable connections from the ethernet / USB to PC are disconected). Power on modem, let settle, power on router, let settle, power on PC.

The modem will not recognise that whatever is directly connected to it has changed, and thus doesn't speak to it, unless it is repowered.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 15:24   #5
mikehextall
Inactive

it sort of worked, the desktop pc had very limited internet connectivity it almost loaded a web page but was very very slow through the ethernet cable but the laptop had no internet connectivity at all even though the wireless connection was working fine
Old 02-01-2007, 15:29   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Do you get full speed without the router in the way?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 15:30   #7
mikehextall
Inactive

yes very fast internet conneection without router, is their some router settings i need to adjust maybe?
Old 02-01-2007, 15:41   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

What speed internet package have you got? If the router is properly registered against your account (which it should be if you power cycled when installing it) and the cables are all correctly attached and in full working order (modem to WAN, LAN to PC) then it could be the router causing the issue. Have you got any firewall software installed on the PCs?
Old 02-01-2007, 15:44   #9
mikehextall
Inactive

i have 10 mb NTL broadband, i have firewalls but they are all turned off as ive read other posts about routers not working with firewalls, it obviously works because i can get some connectivity, but y is it limited?
Old 02-01-2007, 15:49   #10
Paul K
Inactive

Does it say limited or is it just slow and not working at all on the Laptop?
You could try cloning the MAC address of your ethernet port on the PC into the router to make sure that the router MAC isn't causing the issue.
Where did you but the router from and have you adjusted any settings on it yet?
Old 02-01-2007, 15:51   #11
mikehextall
Inactive

how do i clone the mac address? i bought it brand new from ebay, i have not adjusted any settings, the internet is very slow on the desktop pc through the ethernet cable and does not work at all on the wireless laptop
Old 02-01-2007, 15:55   #12
Paul K
Inactive

You do have an 11b capable laptop don't you? Brand new? Has it been proven to work before sale? Did it come with cables?
What port do you have the PC connected to and have you tried connecting the laptop via cable to check connectivity against that?
Old 02-01-2007, 15:57   #13
mikehextall
Inactive

yes its proven working, i used my own cables which i used with my old network before i changed to wireless, or attempted too change lets say, the laptop connects wirelessly but doesnt access the internet, so as i said everything is work fine network wise its just the internet that struggles, how do i do this mac cloning?
Old 02-01-2007, 16:16   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Should tell you in the manual but you need your current desktop PC mac address as that is the one most likely registered against your account.
From start menu, run,
type the following
cmd
press enter
type
ipconfig /all
press enter
be careful as there is a space between ipconfig and /all
you should get a block of info and in that info (possibly under "local area connection"is a "physical address" which is your MAC address of your PC connection.
Old 02-01-2007, 19:04   #15
mikehextall
Inactive

i got it working now thanks, how do i protect my wireless connection from other people?