Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 19:36   #5281
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
We need more digg and slashdot action, you would be amazed how coverage on those 2 sites alone can send an issue viral in hours. If more people here register on both sites and digg up/firehose articles as they become available it will make a significant difference to public awareness. So please everyone, go digg and firehose the following:

http://digg.com/tech_news/Legal_Anal...7_Phorm_Trials
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=650576

Lots of tech news sites and high profile bloggers use slashdot and digg as a primary news source.

As you can see here, Phorm articles performances on Digg have been particularly poor:

http://digg.com/search?s=Phorm&submi...all&sort=score

We need to keep the pressure on and make sure as much news gets posted to as many relevant web sites as possible.

Alexander Hanff
Done and done.
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 19:37   #5282
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I find it hard to believe any of Phorm's statements now. Certainly at the 80/20 Meeting during the questions panel Kent was put to task over the Guardian dropping them and he made a bit of a slip along the lines of No company have actually signed up to OIX yet but they are in discussion with lots of interested parties.

I would need to see the video (yes calling Simon shortly) of the question panel at the end of the meeting to clarify on that but I am pretty sure it was along those lines.

Alexander Hanff
FT.COM amongst those mentioned here http://www.phorm.com/about/launch_agreement.php
Old 01-05-2008, 19:54   #5283
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
any spread bets for tomorrow? lol
Old 01-05-2008, 19:58   #5284
windowcleaner
Inactive

windowcleaner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Steve View Post
http://www.out-law.com/page-9090

About what you'd expect given Pinsent Masons LLP's relationship with BT, basically says that, yes, ISPs implementing Phorm are probably breaking tons of laws, but that's OK, where's the harm ?
Hmm, could this be construed as incitement to commit a felony?
Old 01-05-2008, 20:01   #5285
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Welcome to the new joiners and thank you for coming from the shadows. Currently there are 37 members and 38 guests viewing this thread; discounting the spies there are still a few decent people out there who can provide the support needed now that we at least seem to be on the cusp of a change in ISP attitude. Please join up and join in.

VM's apparent change of stance is very encouraging. Tbh, I do not want to change my ISP and am more than happy to continue supporting VM's business through my subscriptions. VM must realise by now that Phorm could well be their undoing with so many normally mild-mannered customers absolutely against this technology. Please, please shape up Virgin; if you lose support, you may never regain it and that, in the long run, would make us all losers.

No PIA. No video. No PR Spin. They tried to make us go to webwise and we said no, no, NO!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (and women) do nothing". (Edmund Burke)
Old 01-05-2008, 20:12   #5286
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Welcome to the new joiners and thank you for coming from the shadows. Currently there are 37 members and 38 guests viewing this thread; discounting the spies there are still a few decent people out there who can provide the support needed now that we at least seem to be on the cusp of a change in ISP attitude. Please join up and join in.
Doh! I've just noticed that I'm not logged in (deleted cookies, etc. after the video site hijack scare a few days ago) so one of those lurkers was me! Also, I often check the latest news here from work when I'm on nights, but do it without logging-in (my employer's IT department has some dodgy individuals working for them that I suspect deploy keyloggers on some network machines so I won't do anything from work that entails a personal log in)

Quote:
VM's apparent change of stance is very encouraging. Tbh, I do not want to change my ISP and am more than happy to continue supporting VM's business through my subscriptions. VM must realise by now that Phorm could well be their undoing with so many normally mild-mannered customers absolutely against this technology. Please, please shape up Virgin; if you lose support, you may never regain it and that, in the long run, would make us all losers.
That's exactly how I feel.
Old 01-05-2008, 20:30   #5287
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
To keep upto date on Phorm stories on Digg add the following url to your RSS reader:

http://digg.com/rss_search?search=Ph...th&section=all

Slashdot unfortunately don't offer an RSS for searches.

On another note I just had an hour long phone call with Claer Barrett who writes for the Investors Chronicle at Financial Times about Phorm and RIPA. It was a very constructive discussion and I extended gratitude on behalf of us all to the Financial Times for getting actively involved in the issue.

I will let you all know when the article is due to be published.

Alexander Hanff
you might use this google news search with the site: directive set for /.

perhaps you can use google rss in some way to feed your own Rss, i dont use rss so not really sure

http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8...nG=Search+News

you might be better to use this basic REBOL script as a base to parse slashdot and/or combine it with the above in some way ?....

------------cut
url: read http://slashdot.org/index.rss
parse/all url [
any [
<title> copy title to </title>
(print title)

|
<description> copy desc to </description>
(print desc)
|
skip
]
to end
]
-------------cut

taken from here
http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/mac/200...scripting.html

i cut and pasted it into the rebol view shell, and it parses the url and displays the text......

but it needs more work to make it look pritty, perhaps a GUI scrolly banner rebol script example exists, if you can be bothered to find it, and add its content if your a happy script writer Alexander...

btw http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkpAyuVypuhUqUpcQx.html
01 May, 2008 - 1:40 PM
Alexander Hanff's Legal Analysis of the Phorm Trials
Cable Forum's Alexander Hanff has made public his dissertation on a legal analysis of BT's secret Phorm trials, which took place during 2006 and again in 2007. Hanff has carefully analysed the relevant EU and UK laws, statutes and directives to find that, "fundamental legal requirements were not met."

Hanff goes on to conclude that BT's covert trials were illegal under criminal law and unlawful under common law, pointing towards the need for relevant public authorities to, "officially investigate the matter in the interests of public justice.":
Old 01-05-2008, 20:30   #5288
Dave_C
Inactive

Dave_C is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (and women) do nothing". (Edmund Burke)
<delurks>
That's me!

Hi all, I have the dubious honour of being with BT and have posted to their forums.

May I add my thanks to the people who are doing so much to stop this nastiness. You know who you are!

Nothing that I can add to what has already been said on this and the BT threads, but if enough of us make our voices heard it must make a difference.

Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 20:38   #5289
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Doh! I've just noticed that I'm not logged in (deleted cookies, etc. after the video site hijack scare a few days ago) so one of those lurkers was me! Also, I often check the latest news here from work when I'm on nights, but do it without logging-in (my employer's IT department has some dodgy individuals working for them that I suspect deploy keyloggers on some network machines so I won't do anything from work that entails a personal log in)
Understood .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
That's exactly how I feel.
My worry is that VM could underestimate the backlash if the deployment goes ahead. Internet users are a savvy bunch (as this thread proves) and if VM try to railroad them, the vitriol spewed in The Apprentice will seem like a kiddies tea party .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
<delurks>
That's me!

Hi all, I have the dubious honour of being with BT and have posted to their forums.

May I add my thanks to the people who are doing so much to stop this nastiness. You know who you are!

Nothing that I can add to what has already been said on this and the BT threads, but if enough of us make our voices heard it must make a difference.

Dave
Welcome Dave!
Old 01-05-2008, 20:42   #5290
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
you might use this google news search with the site: directive set for /.

perhaps you can use google rss in some way to feed your own Rss, i dont use rss so not really sure

http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8...nG=Search+News

you might be better to use this basic REBOL script as a base to parse slashdot and/or combine it with the above in some way ?....

------------cut
url: read http://slashdot.org/index.rss
parse/all url [
any [
<title> copy title to </title>
(print title)

|
<description> copy desc to </description>
(print desc)
|
skip
]
to end
]
-------------cut

taken from here
http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/mac/200...scripting.html

i cut and pasted it into the rebol view shell, and it parses the url and displays the text......

but it needs more work to make it look pritty, perhaps a GUI scrolly banner rebol script example exists, if you can be bothered to find it, and add its content if your a happy script writer Alexander...

Cable Forum's Alexander Hanff has made public his dissertation on a legal analysis of BT's secret Phorm trials, which took place during 2006 and again in 2007. Hanff has carefully analysed the relevant EU and UK laws, statutes and directives to find that, "fundamental legal requirements were not met."

Hanff goes on to conclude that BT's covert trials were illegal under criminal law and unlawful under common law, pointing towards the need for relevant public authorities to, "officially investigate the matter in the interests of public justice.":
Glad my message in the Mods on ISPr worked

We are still a long way from completing this but we are on the right track and getting there.
Old 01-05-2008, 20:49   #5291
GoldenBoar
Inactive

GoldenBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

No PIA. No video. No PR Spin. They tried to make us go to webwise and we said no, no, NO!

I contacted VM telling them that if they went ahead with this I would be cancelling my VIP service and going elsewhere. I told them I would be recommending that family, friends and customers change ISP if this is launched, and that they will be getting no more recommendations from me until they have announced that they have abandoned this hair-brained scheme. I let them know that I've put a lot of custom their way, and can and will take those customers away from them.
Old 01-05-2008, 20:52   #5292
Pasanonic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV + MUTV 20MB Phone.
Pasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post

I dugg this too. I know it's nearly cheating as a duplicate but still, the more the merrier eh? Dig in boys and girls.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Alexander_...e_Phorm_Trials
Old 01-05-2008, 20:58   #5293
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoar View Post
I contacted VM telling them that if they went ahead with this I would be cancelling my VIP service and going elsewhere. I told them I would be recommending that family, friends and customers change ISP if this is launched, and that they will be getting no more recommendations from me until they have announced that they have abandoned this hair-brained scheme. I let them know that I've put a lot of custom their way, and can and will take those customers away from them.
Welcome GoldenBoar . Come on you lurkers, get behind the people who are sticking their necks out on our behalf. Whilst people like Alexander are self-motivated, you can't beat actually knowing that the support you have is growing. It may make all the difference.
Old 01-05-2008, 21:06   #5294
Hank

http://digg.com/tech_news/Legal_Anal...7_Phorm_Trials

I digg'd it. My first ever digg.

Then...
http://digg.com/tech_news/Alexander_...e_Phorm_Trials

My second ever digg

A very happy digger

Hank

Old 01-05-2008, 21:10   #5295
blackbob
Inactive

blackbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank god finally caught up with the end of this thread
I have just read an article in this weeks MicroMart entitled Bad phorm
by Mark Pickervance and i'm pleased to say he likes them about as much as we do; he doesn't find a single redeeming feature in four pages of comment and ends with "I would leave any ISP who implemented this"
I was starting to wonder when someone would give them a good shoeing in the computer press
Closed Thread