Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Allotments

Old 29-04-2011, 15:29   #121
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Allotments

Slugs.... it's all out war around here every year.

The best I've found it Growing Success organic pellets. Unlike normal blue pellets they improve when wetted, and break down into food for plants. I put some under cover near plants to give them a longer life though... great for allotments where you don't visit every day.

Another plus is no slug bodies as they slink off to die underground with these pellets.

http://www.dobbies.com/Growing-Succe.../pid-VAR238570
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2011, 16:48   #122
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

I just bought those pellets, and i made a cage with netting. If all goes well I should see some nice cauliflowers and cabbages this year.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 11:39   #123
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

If you have some horti fleece, cut some squares big enough so that you can drape them over the top of your brassicas. This will not upset the plants, but will upset butterflies that want to land and lay their eggs. Plus it's a fairly good anti-frost measure! They may need some pinning if it's a windy patch, or tie weights to the corners.

There's nothing worse than hearing a frost warning late in the evening and being a long way from your allotment!
Old 30-04-2011, 15:46   #124
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

I'm not a long way from the allotment, it's in the garden 100ft away

Good idea though Taf, will try that.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:49   #125
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

OK - I don't have an allotment but I foraged the other side of my back garden gate - lots of nettles there and I only picked the tips.
Searched for good-but-simple recipes and followed one: nettle soup - full of good healthy stuff. The Marigolds worked

The soup was horrible!

Time to clear the ground and do something more useful with it
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05   #126
tosh mate
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV L 20MB BB
tosh mate has reached the bronze age
tosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze age

Hi All,

not been much of a gardener I would like to ask for tip's on growing Tomato plant's, 2 week's ago I bought and planted 3 'gardeners delight' plant's and put them in a large pot/tray, since I planted them they have grown quite well ( almost 30cm ). the advice I need is do I do remove any side shoot's and do I have to do anything else to get the fruits to grow ?

Many Thank's in advance
tosh mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03   #127
Taf
cf.mega poster

That will depend on whether they are Indeterminate or Determinate plants.

Determinate are Bush types that fruit all at once then die. Do not remove side shoots from these.

Indeterminate (like the Gardeners Delight) are Vine types and need to have side shoots removed, and the plant supported by canes, etc.

When replanting any tomato plant, plant them a couple of inches deeper than they were in the previous pot to get the feeding roots under the soil.

Use tomato food once the first fruit have started to swell.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51   #128
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Got about 25 garderners delight myself.. They do tend to split the fruit if not watered well.. Also last year (and this) as well as these we grew Roma which are very tasty plum style tomatoes..

With 25 Gardeners delight last year we ended up with a glut of them which I turned into a spicy tomato chutney (about a 8 jars).. YUMMY
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12   #129
tosh mate
Inactive

tosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
That will depend on whether they are Indeterminate or Determinate plants.

Determinate are Bush types that fruit all at once then die. Do not remove side shoots from these.

Indeterminate (like the Gardeners Delight) are Vine types and need to have side shoots removed, and the plant supported by canes, etc.

When replanting any tomato plant, plant them a couple of inches deeper than they were in the previous pot to get the feeding roots under the soil.

Use tomato food once the first fruit have started to swell.
Yes they are Indeterminate plant's and Thank You for the advice, has they are already growing vigorously I have them supported by cane's now

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Got about 25 garderners delight myself.. They do tend to split the fruit if not watered well.. Also last year (and this) as well as these we grew Roma which are very tasty plum style tomatoes..

With 25 Gardeners delight last year we ended up with a glut of them which I turned into a spicy tomato chutney (about a 8 jars).. YUMMY
WOW, well I only have 3 plant's so I should not be to overwhelmed by them I hope LOL
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40   #130
Taf
cf.mega poster

The only downside is the dreaded blight. Plants are healthy one day, black and wilted the next... and it spreads like wildfire, so fingers crossed for all tomato growers this year.

I am growing an old Russian/Polish variety called Koralik which were untouched by blight last year. They even set fruit and ripened outdoors last year in atrocious weather.

http://www.packetseeds.com/acatalog/...-_Koralik.html
Old 02-05-2011, 12:57   #131
tosh mate
Inactive

Quote:
The only downside is the dreaded blight. Plants are healthy one day, black and wilted the next... and it spreads like wildfire, so fingers crossed for all tomato growers this year.

I am growing an old Russian/Polish variety called Koralik which were untouched by blight last year. They even set fruit and ripened outdoors last year in atrocious weather.

Thanks for the warning as this is the first time I have tried to grow tomato's, and so far they are staying green and healthy
Old 28-05-2011, 18:40   #132
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh mate View Post
Thanks for the warning as this is the first time I have tried to grow tomato's, and so far they are staying green and healthy
Wait until the first truss sets until you feed - should be soon.

Been doing my least fave job - thinning out. I'd never make a good farmer
Old 28-05-2011, 19:42   #133
Taf
cf.mega poster

I figured out after many years of trial and error that keeping toms in small pots (4" typically) and waiting for the first truss to set before transplanting them at least 4" deeper than in the small pot brings on early fruit.

My Koraliks have had that treatment in the greenhouse, and now 12 plants are sat in larger pots outside with baby fruits growing well despite this awful windy weather.
Old 28-05-2011, 20:16   #134
Caff
I'm a geek???

Quote:
I figured out after many years of trial and error that keeping toms in small pots (4" typically) and waiting for the first truss to set before transplanting them at least 4" deeper than in the small pot brings on early fruit.

My Koraliks have had that treatment in the greenhouse, and now 12 plants are sat in larger pots outside with baby fruits growing well despite this awful windy weather.
Woah - trusses in 4" pots? What was the yield?
I tried the deep transplanting a couple of years ago. It did not work but it was before flowering.

And now I have too Google what a Koralik is
Old 28-05-2011, 20:48   #135
Taf
cf.mega poster

The fruit comes as normal once the plants are transplanted and fed almost immediately (there is always some food in the new compost they have been moved into). Despite the cold last autumn/winter, we still had ripe fruits to pick at Xmas in our (unheated) polycarb greenhouse. The plants were on their last legs though. Ones planted outside produced just a few less fruit, and ALL survived the blight that drifts through here every year.