Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Allotments

Old 12-03-2012, 15:03   #166
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Allotments

Reminds me when I was 5 just before we emigrated and lived in W-S-M, the garden backed onto the railway tracks and we used to go up/down them raiding all the strawberrys and other fruit growing on the back fences
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 22:09   #167
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Reminds me when I was 5 just before we emigrated and lived in W-S-M, the garden backed onto the railway tracks and we used to go up/down them raiding all the strawberrys and other fruit growing on the back fences
Sounds like fun
Old 13-03-2012, 15:41   #168
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

We just got delivery of some Kentish Cob nut whips (40-60cm size), loads of branches and shoots on them and it came with a few free gifts (free delivery, free pear bush which looks about 3 years old and a load of free flower seeds)

So I've just gotta give a big thumbs up to Ashridge Trees in Somerset for a great service and good products.
Old 13-03-2012, 15:50   #169
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Mmmmm cob nut hedging.... nom nom nom
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 14:31   #170
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Mmmmm cob nut hedging.... nom nom nom
You sound like the horses in our field where we have a hazlenut hedge

Seeds are doing well here, tomatoes are just starting to sprout.. the two lots of sweetcorn (early and a late) have had 100% germination, all the pumpkins/squash are doing well including some seeds I scrounged from a rather nice squat pumpkin from Lidl last year. Potatoes have been chitted and just about to go in, need to also put in a row each of carrots and beetroot (oh gawd I could live off beetrot!!!).

Soft fruit has now taken up half the allotment, between grapes (red & white) strawberries, reb/black currents, loganberries, tayberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi and red/green goosberries we'll end up looking like a berry!!!
Old 22-03-2012, 22:50   #171
yesman

This has been in the news a lot lately... http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk/2012/0...rictions-2012/
I was wondering how you would go about watering your allotments in the event that a nationwide ban may be imminent (I imagine that the Welsh will not be affected ). I assume it is stored water ?
A neighbour of mine who has an allotment was discussing it today, normally he uses a stand pipe provided, but also suggested it might get turned off if the ban goes ahead.

I am not sure what the rules are regarding watering of allotments, and don't think he is either
Old 23-03-2012, 09:00   #172
Kymmy
Inactive

We have an IBC tank for storage with plans of running rainwater into it from a friends roof who lives just next to our plot, but the hosepipe ban shouldn't effect watering cans (we're lucky as the tap is right next to ours) so the standpipe should be left on..
Old 16-04-2012, 10:03   #173
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

After Mr T dug over our miniscule veggy patch, I carefully planted rows of beetroots, carrots and raddishes. Next day went out and cats had been and scratched all over the place. Anyone got foolproof methods of cat poo prevention please?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 10:22   #174
Kymmy
Inactive

Net it.. Just grab some netting/bamboo poles from poundland and use that, otherwise sprinkle some hot chili powder or ground pepper over the area.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Was up our allotment the other day just getting in the last of the potatoes, so what's gone in spud wise is as follows

1st Earlies:
10 Milo Sarpo
20 Rocket
2nd Earlies:
20 International Kidneys (aka Jersey Royals)
Main Crop:
20 King Edward
20 Desiree
Also got the usual beetroot, carrot, parsnip, beans, peas, 2 lots of sweetcorn (early/late) and the squash/pumpkins are ready to be planted out once there's no more frost (butternut, gem, rouge, sweetdumpling..etc..)
Old 16-04-2012, 10:52   #175
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Net it.. Just grab some netting/bamboo poles from poundland and use that, otherwise sprinkle some hot chili powder or ground pepper over the area.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Was up our allotment the other day just getting in the last of the potatoes, so what's gone in spud wise is as follows

1st Earlies:
10 Milo Sarpo
20 Rocket
2nd Earlies:
20 International Kidneys (aka Jersey Royals)
Main Crop:
20 King Edward
20 Desiree
Also got the usual beetroot, carrot, parsnip, beans, peas, 2 lots of sweetcorn (early/late) and the squash/pumpkins are ready to be planted out once there's no more frost (butternut, gem, rouge, sweetdumpling..etc..)
Cheers for that Kymmy, you are certainly into the allotment business. Chilli powder? What happens when it rains does it still work? I planted some potatoes, don't know what type but they are coming up!
Old 16-04-2012, 11:17   #176
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You could try some Scaredy cat plants I've not tried these myself but might be worth a punt. My bedding plant raised beds I use carpet tack strips (painted black) and pea sticks to help keep the felines off.
Yes Heero somebody did tell me about these plants which apparently do work. But they are quite pricey and I would need so many, for borders etc, so I tried Gooogling for seeds but no joy!
Old 16-04-2012, 12:21   #177
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

www.deteracat.co.uk

I like the 'scarecrow'

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm

The ultrasonic cat deterrent doesn't look bad either at £28 +VAT
Old 16-04-2012, 12:44   #178
Kymmy
Inactive

Family Bargains had Owl statues in stock which had a movement sensor in them, made an owl type noise whenever it was set off..
Old 16-04-2012, 16:31   #179
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Cheers for that Kymmy, you are certainly into the allotment business. Chilli powder? What happens when it rains does it still work? I planted some potatoes, don't know what type but they are coming up!
Chilli/pepper will eventually wash away, but after a few re-applies the cats will realize not to go near it..
Old 16-04-2012, 18:09   #180
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've tried all the commercial products: sprays, granules, scarers, ultrasonics... and the only thing that seems to work is netting over the soil... and a Megablaster water pistol...

I did borrow a water sprinkler that sprayed the intruders for a few seconds, but it went though PP9 batteries by the bucketload.... though it did seem to work.

The cat deterrent plant is great, and easy to grow, though the smell is atrocious.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote