Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 16-08-2015, 16:38   #1246
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

What I don't get is why the USB / ISO methods reject my Windows 7 product key. This may make no difference to my constant failure to upgrade to Windows 10, but is an irritation. I checked the product number by retyping it into Windows Activation, so I know it is right.

Incidentally, if you lose your Windows Product Key you can easily retrieve it using this clever app.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Just scroll to the bottom of the page to find the download links.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2015, 18:22   #1247
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Tinky,

It does sound like there is something deeper wrong with your machine there, have a skim through the Windows Event Logs and see if you can spot anything recurring especially Disk errors!
Hi Graham, very kind of you to respond, however I decided after having a good look around on Windows 10 that, for the moment, it was not for me. So I restored it back to Windows 7, now I am having all sorts of problems with my email in particular. I cannot delete any emails in any of the folders, and each time I open WLM I get a message 'Recovering Windows Live Mail Database'.

Incidentally I tried the sfc /scannow as suggested and nothing happened, hope that is not something else that's gone wrong.

I'm presuming the command prompt is the Run option.
Tinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:36   #1248
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

No, you can press the windows key and r, then type in cmd and press enter, then run the scan command.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:53   #1249
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Took the plunge and upgraded from 8.1. Everything looks ok so far. Apps seem to start quicker.

Casting videos to wireless connected TV works without needing newer network drivers(NDIS 6.4?). Couldn't get it to work before with Win 8.1 and NDIS 6.3 drivers.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 01:37   #1250
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I had problems with my optimus iv soundblaster cinema not working with windows 10 tried all the methods suggested online so like some it didn't work.

There was suggestions that this was no longer going to be supported for driver updates in windows 10 so a little miffed about that and hope there is something soon. so laptop is using Via HD audio for sound
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:29   #1251
Carlos Carboni

A variety of phones show up in my network, but not connected... I guess, they show up either via wifi or bluetooth. I only get their model id and mac address...

WoL is still not fixed, only 3 of my 8 gigabit cards wake up....
Old 17-08-2015, 14:42   #1252
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market

It has been a little bit less than three weeks since Microsoft released Windows 10 for consumers around the world. The OS, which is receiving positive reviews from across the web, is being adopted quickly despite there being a few teething issues upfront.

According to our sources, Windows 10 has surpassed 53 million installs, which StatCounter says now accounts for 4.95% of the market as of last week. At it's peak, Windows 10 was being installed on about 1500 machines per second.

rest of article here

http://www.neowin.net/news/after-53-...medium=twitter
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 20:22   #1253
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Build 10525 is now on the Fast ring, now lets you change the Window title bar colours.
Old 18-08-2015, 20:32   #1254
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

staying on RTM here not doing insider builds no more
Old 18-08-2015, 21:37   #1255
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I wonder if anyone who upgraded to Windows 10 is having problems syncing and iPhone like me? As soon as I plug the iPhone in, iTunes freezes.
Had a few issues copying from my Samsung Galaxy S5 it kept freezing.

Can someone who has upgraded from a Windows OEM version confirm something for me.

A friend of mine had Windows 7 Pro x64 OEM and after updating to windows 10 Pro his licence key has remained the same.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Retail and i was issued with a different licence key.

Are OEM users all keeping the same key?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 06:37   #1256
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Reports are out suggesting that Windows 10 could disable pirated games and apps. Although reports are a bit unclear whether or not it just means software from the 'store' but it's looks like it's heading for all games / apps.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:00   #1257
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Reports are out suggesting that Windows 10 could disable pirated games and apps. Although reports are a bit unclear whether or not it just means software from the 'store' but it's looks like it's heading for all games / apps.
that's untrue more scare stories that's all total BS

Windows 10’s Latest Unfounded Privacy Fear: Games

https://www.petri.com/windows-10s-la...acy-fear-games
Old 19-08-2015, 10:30   #1258
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I wish I could get any of my screen savers working. I've definitely got then turned on but nothing happens. I also have the monitor set to sleep after 30mins but that no longer works. Not a major issue as u can just switch off the tv but irritating.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:36   #1259
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
I wish I could get any of my screen savers working. I've definitely got then turned on but nothing happens. I also have the monitor set to sleep after 30mins but that no longer works. Not a major issue as u can just switch off the tv but irritating.
I didn't think anyone used screen savers anymore, no idea if mine work or not.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:41   #1260
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
type screen saver in search and double check one is selected