Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 29-04-2012, 13:19   #121
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

It's a lot better now I've finished off my little radio interface, isolated the in/outs with some audio transformers and a salvaged opto-isolator (from an old broken CRT monitor) Means that the mouse/Keyboard now doesn't stop working due to the RF
That's a major pain. My monitor goes off as well when I key down. Comes back on again when I key up and down again.
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 14:11   #122
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The interface isolates the PC from the radio hence I don;t now have an issue.. If your monitor is going off then there's RF leakage somewhere.. What's your earth like? Have you got a ferrite on your rig power lead and also have you tried a metalic spray ( or a bit of well glued in aluminium foil) on the inside/outside casing of the monitor
Old 29-04-2012, 16:40   #123
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Have you had a PSK125 QSO yet?
Weird you should mention psk125 as I've just had my first QSO via that mode, an EA8 in Lanzerote...WOW does the info whizz by
Old 29-04-2012, 16:53   #124
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

I'm not sure about the earth, Kymmy. I'll take a look tomorrow.

I have some fat ferrite rings in the garage, I'll give that a go. Cheers
Old 29-04-2012, 18:09   #125
Kymmy
Inactive

Make sure you wind the ferrites properly if you use them
Old 29-04-2012, 18:37   #126
Blackened
Inactive

Yeah, will do - cheers.

Just been to get them out the garage but Mrs Blackened's parked her car behind mine so I can't get to the bottom cupboards.
Old 30-04-2012, 08:51   #127
Kymmy
Inactive

Nice little contact with St Helena last night again on RTTY but this time 20m

Conditions are definitely improving as we go further into 2012, even heard quite a few stations on 10m which is above the 11m freqs so for the CB fraternity the bands looks like they're going to be really good this summer.
Old 04-05-2012, 14:47   #128
Kymmy
Inactive

Just had to strip down the antenna connector for my old 1/2 G5RV after the reflected power on the SWR kept popping up when transmitting.. Turned out to be a load of corrosion which I've now stripped, re-soldered, hot-glued, sealed and heat-shrinked

Result = 20 mins using PSK31 on 17m (18Mhz) got me denmark, Finland, 2 Ukraines, 4 EU Russians and JF3PNQ in Sanda, Japan Now that's a result
Old 04-05-2012, 15:19   #129
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

17 is a brilliant band when it's open. You can actually have a QSO on fone rather than the usual 59, 73 you get in Kilowatt alley.

There have been quite a few E alerts for 6m this week so that's worth checking out if you have a suitable antenna of any description. Going to put my 5ele back up at the weekend as it had disintegrated during the storms last winter so I've managed to drill out the element fittings and replace them with stainless.
Old 04-05-2012, 17:05   #130
Kymmy
Inactive

HRD has finally released 5.21 with a few fixes after it's previous attempted release a few weeks ago..
Old 04-05-2012, 18:04   #131
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
HRD has finally released 5.21 with a few fixes after it's previous attempted release a few weeks ago..
and the effort to get to this stage has been huge. A necessarily step to continue development was to move to VS2010, this broke many things. 5.21 is still not perfect, but it's getting there. The testing team have been fed alpha/beta files almost daily to get to this stage.
Old 04-05-2012, 18:06   #132
Kymmy
Inactive

Might go for the 5.21 support which means I'll get 6 free (will save me $20)

I currently only use the logging/Digital programs but even they're worth it..
Old 05-05-2012, 17:16   #133
Kymmy
Inactive

Just remembered that my Jubilee NOV started today so no officially a GQ#*** for the next month

Time to create a new card
Old 20-05-2012, 20:03   #134
Kymmy
Inactive

Picked up a nice little Icom 706 Mk2G today at Dunstable Downs Radio Carboot Sale.. Has a few filters in it with also the TCXO option fitted, came complete with the face off cable and bracket.. So that's me a happy little bunny

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 20-05-2012, 20:06   #135
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Picked up a nice little Icom 706 Mk2G today at Dunstable Downs Radio Carboot Sale.. Has a few filters in it with also the TCXO option fitted, came complete with the face off cable and bracket.. So that's me a happy little bunny

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Looks nice

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Closed Thread