Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2015, 19:41   #196
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
I've seen mobile phones and the internet kill radio, both CB and HAM. When I was a member of a local repeater group, the members would text each other to say they were on their way.....and then repeater (non)utilisation would be a topic discussed at the meeting.
Or been driven onto Skype due to the constant abuse and tomfoolery that goes on with these repeaters. Not that it's a new phenomenon as it's the reason GB3MP for example was instructed by the RA to attenuate it's input and drop output many moons ago.

We used to have a really good group net running on 2M SSB with some Irish lads, GMs and a few others up and down the country but the place seems all but abandoned of late apart from the monthly RSGB bitching'n'bickering contest bunfights.

Actually the last couple of QSOs I've had on SSB were in excess of 500KM so it just goes to show who's listening, rather not participating on what is a really good band even when flat.
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2015, 20:14   #197
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Ok the power supply is important obviously! I used to have an old Altai, they were really popular back in the day.

Broadly speaking the SWR meter will make sure the antenna is tuned as correctly as possible, this is a good guide.

If the mic you use has a 'power' knob on it make sure it's not up high - usually around 6 or 7 (if it's numbered) is normally about right.

Do any of the devices have what looks like a heat-sync on top?
There's a heat sink on two, the Mic does indeed have a knob, it also has a push to talk then slide to lock feature, it also has a meter on it.
Old 22-04-2015, 20:21   #198
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

The ones with the heat sinks, they are linear amplifiers - power boosters, and aren't legal to use. You'd need a separate power supply for them too (a standard CB PSU normally runs around 3 amps, not enough for the booster) unless you used it in the car. Which you wouldn't of course as they are illegal to use

The mic meter helps prevent you distorting your speech. Which model is it? If it's Sadelta I'm going to get jealous...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-04-2015, 20:27   #199
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The ones with the heat sinks, they are linear amplifiers - power boosters, and aren't legal to use. You'd need a separate power supply for them too (a standard CB PSU normally runs around 3 amps, not enough for the booster) unless you used it in the car. Which you wouldn't of course as they are illegal to use

The mic meter helps prevent you distorting your speech. Which model is it? If it's Sadelta I'm going to get jealous...
Sadelta's are cheap but OK.. Much prefer my Adonis desk mics as the compression on them are great for equalising out peaks on SSB
Old 22-04-2015, 20:32   #200
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

For the money Sadelta mics were always really good but I just loved the design and look of the desktop models. I still say I've never heard better quality than on the Astatic Teardrop, just a shame they felt as if they were built with parts from a Kinder Egg toy.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-04-2015, 21:23   #201
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
For the money Sadelta mics were always really good but I just loved the design and look of the desktop models. I still say I've never heard better quality than on the Astatic Teardrop, just a shame they felt as if they were built with parts from a Kinder Egg toy.
Appears to be Sadelta, Black with Red button. Can confirm when I get up there and have a good luck. I'll take pictures of the full kit.
Old 22-04-2015, 21:53   #202
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Yep I hate you.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-04-2015, 07:52   #203
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

In all seriousness does it look like this? If so it's the Sadelta Echomaster Plus, the best desk mic I ever used. As Kimmy said there are better out there but for the money this was hard to beat. If it's the one you have then one of the faders controls the amount of echo you transmit with. Some CB users make a nuisance of themselves by using too much echo (sometimes deliberately), I only ever used a little on SSB (fader set at about 3).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galaxy Desk Microphone 1.JPG (39.8 KB, 2 views)

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-04-2015, 08:06   #204
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Here's the two mics I'm using, the larger one can switch between two radios, the smaller one is especially suited for the old FT80C (commercial version of the FT747). Both microphone produce a nice audio.

As for the sadelta echomaster + as long as you turn the echo either right down or even off as they have no benefit apart from 'cb cred' they do sound nice but give no benefit on SSB as they have no compression setting unless the radio itself has a built in audio compressor.

Old 23-04-2015, 08:18   #205
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I can only go on other people's feedback - I'd get much better responses when using the Echomaster rather than standard mics.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-04-2015, 08:27   #206
Kymmy
Inactive

I used one for years back in the early '90s on a Uniden 2830, great for fm work as the audio has a great frequency range, but SSB relies on audio peaks to produce the power output unlike FM which is a constant power output, the higher peaked all of your voice range is the more power on SSB, no good just having the low tone peaking and the high tone lost (or visa-versa)... Echos can effect it slightly but only if the echo time and duration is kept very, very short...

Go on one of the websdrs and listen round the ham band and you'll notice that no-one (apart from some italians) use echo mics.

http://www.websdr.org/
Old 23-04-2015, 08:32   #207
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Ah no, I wasn't really swayed by the echo. For the most part I kept the fader to zero but only used it now and then to justify the price tag to myself

Some voices work better with certain mics and it seemed mine was perfectly compatible with the Echomaster. Again not as good as the Teardrop (which I only really used whilst mobile) output but for the money - IIRC about £50 - I couldn't find better.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-04-2015, 09:11   #208
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

I'm swaying nearer it being the one meter rather than two. Won't be certain till I get up there and dig it all out.

I do remember having cut the wire between the antenna and where the gear used to be. Kinda just looked like an old TV wire to be honest iirc.

Looked at the last page and the pic. That's identical. Not sure about the writing on it till I see it. It has the two faders. What's the difference between the ones with the single meter and dual meters?
Old 23-04-2015, 09:47   #209
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Not much really, the single meter model was the early version IIRC. The Echomaster fans wanted something they could measure the level of echo with so they brought out a mark 2. there might be one or two other basic or cosmetic changes but that's about it.

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

edit: you'll need to patch up the cut in the antenna with some PL plugs and a double female connector. Using the plugs will have a slight effect on your output but nothing major. Your SWR reading might be slightly out too but again nothing too bad.

Alternatively get some new CB coaxial cable (tv cable won't do).

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-04-2015, 10:01   #210
Kymmy
Inactive

@Russ

http://www.transmission1.eu/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47241

Sorry you'll need an account to view that, it is though a Sadelta echmaster plus for £15
Closed Thread