Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2015, 18:01   #181
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

Probably not Russ, but one day the primary users of 27Mhz might want thier bandwidth back and I for one will not be arguing against them...
They've allowed others to encroach on it for 30-odd years and with numbers of CB users ever dwindling I can't see there being an en-masse revolt to reclaim it.

When I tuned in I did just that - no transmitting, plus I wasn't sure how well or even if the twig was SWR'd in. It was interesting to listen in to and good to hear it was still well in use.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2015, 18:08   #182
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You do know a who the primary user is? I'm not sure that any cb'er would argue against the MOD..
Old 17-04-2015, 18:12   #183
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
You do know a who the primary user is? I'm not sure that any cb'er would argue against the MOD..
Not at all but how often is anyone in court for using the bandwidths unlawfully? I'm sure there some cases where action is taken but just like that law about recording a phone call without the other side's consent I doubt many people are put off by it plus I'm sure that in all but the most serious and disruptive cases (if there are any/many) I doubt many resources are allocated to prosecutions by the authorities.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 17-04-2015, 18:19   #184
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Its actually quite common for broadcast and business bands and has happened recently for cb bands but mainly by causing problems to other licenced users. If the MOD decided to use 27mhz then Ofcom would have no choice but to start policing the band. Just because they've been lax for the last 20 years doesn't mean that it'll continue foraanother 20 especially as unused bandwidth is getting mores and more scarce.. They even started grabbing back some ham radio bandwidth this year.
Old 17-04-2015, 18:25   #185
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

No it's true we don't know what will happen in the future, I'm just going on what has (or rather, hasn't) happened in the past. Thing is there are so few 27 users these days you have to wonder how much effort would be put in to tracking people down. Clearly the administration and process of issuing CB licences outweighed the cost of producing them.

To be honest I'm surprised the band has lasted so long for public use. When this thread started I was surprised to hear it was still available to us.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 17-04-2015, 18:29   #186
Kymmy
Inactive

Such is the world of mobile phones, internet... Etc...

PMR 446 also reduced the amount of cb users..
Old 21-04-2015, 11:40   #187
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
As for power that is a stupid question when one of my last qso's was Australia with 10w on 20m with a basic home made cobweb. If the conditions are good especially if you time it along the grey line you don't need a lot of power.
No your right...... If the conditions are right you can talk around the world on 1 watt!!
Old 22-04-2015, 12:45   #188
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

How would you go about setting one of these up. I have one back in Newcastle from my passed grandfather. The antenna is still up (12ft looking at it) the Cobra unit which I think I've posted in here before, huge Mic block, then there's loads of separate devices with dials and switches on them as well as some plain ones that look like power bricks. Next time I'm up there I can snap some pictures of it.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:01   #189
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Do any of the devices say SWR on them?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-04-2015, 17:57   #190
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Do any of the devices say SWR on them?
Yeah, has a meter on it, the others have faded writing but one says Power supply, manufacturer, Altai. From the top of my head the main bit is the Cobra 148 GTL?
Old 22-04-2015, 18:03   #191
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Ok the power supply is important obviously! I used to have an old Altai, they were really popular back in the day.

Broadly speaking the SWR meter will make sure the antenna is tuned as correctly as possible, this is a good guide.

If the mic you use has a 'power' knob on it make sure it's not up high - usually around 6 or 7 (if it's numbered) is normally about right.

Do any of the devices have what looks like a heat-sync on top?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-04-2015, 18:11   #192
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Do any of the devices have what looks like a heat-sync on top?
Think you mean "Heat sink" for the uninitiated a finned piece of black metal.
Old 22-04-2015, 18:18   #193
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Android auto-correct...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-04-2015, 18:37   #194
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Android auto-correct...
It's a (female dog) ain't it.
Old 22-04-2015, 19:10   #195
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I'm sitting looking at a Kenwood TS-480 that hardly ever turned on. It's connected to a multiband sandpiper short vertical and a sloping half size G5RV. I sold my TM-D700 V/UHF dual bander last year to raise money to buy my (pedal)trike.

I just got a bit fed up of the "rubber stamp" QSO. Name, QTH, Signal, Age, Weather etc.

I've done Voice, PSK, SSTV and a few other modes. The most I do now is a very occasion bit of WSPR.

I've seen mobile phones and the internet kill radio, both CB and HAM. When I was a member of a local repeater group, the members would text each other to say they were on their way.....and then repeater (non)utilisation would be a topic discussed at the meeting.

Hobby radio is given more recognition in the states and probably in other countries as well. When I suggested to an Emergency Planning Officer about HAM radio, his response was that any references to it were pretty much erased from most LA's emergency plans.
Closed Thread