Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 15:19   #166
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
4w fm 12w ssb, type approved equipment only but that's not really enforcable, if you want a burner check your gas stove, other than that linear amplifiers are not legal.
No they are not here either because most people run them on CB with cheap coax and it ends up splashing people like crazy!! (Plus the burner is dirty (Doesnt put out clean signal))

I LOVE FM.. Unfortunetly there is not many ppl who use FM here....... I have found many people who have FM that HAVENT EVER USED IT! (When I asked them to flip to FM it was the first they did (AND BOY DID THEY SOUND BETTER (Alot of them didnt realise what the hash was,they tried to use thier RF GAIN to get rid of it and I explained the hash is natural and it was BEST to set thier squelch on FM)))

Sadly many people on 11m DO NOT CARE what they sound like and its confusing.. Very unprofesional!

Ah well......... -- CB AND HAM .. The only ANALOGUE platforms left!! (They are awesome)
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2015, 17:31   #167
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Just been rearranging the shack... Last count of radios was the following..

2 CBs - 80ch mobile and handheld
2 HF - Yaesu ft80c and ft450d
4 vhf\uhf mobiles - ft8800 x2, ft7800, ft8100 x2
5 vhf\uhf handhelds -vx5, vx1, ft50 x2, baofeng uv8d
4 70mhz radios -ascom550 x2 and wouxon 699e x2
1 dstar UHF ICOM id31
1 dstar gateway -RPi +dual band dvmega

I think I need to buy more ....
Old 15-04-2015, 17:46   #168
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Thats a good list Kymmy!!!

Maybe if the skip is rolling to england sometime we could arrange to meet sometime!! (Pick a freq)

Did you know there are a couple 11m repeaters that you might try listening for when the skip is in.... (All are FM of course)

27.600 (Input 27.800)
27.620 (Input 27.820)

They are in the carribean I think and I hit one of them full quieting one day!!!! (And I dont run any burners.... MAKES YA FEEL GOOD BEING ABLE TO TALK ROUND THE WORLD WITH STOCK POWER)

If you dont mind me asking,what kind of power do you run Matey??
Old 15-04-2015, 17:49   #169
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

If you dont mind me asking,what kind of power do you run Matey??
Careful.
Old 15-04-2015, 18:08   #170
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Well I wasnt trying to sound funny or anything,im just asking her
Old 15-04-2015, 18:12   #171
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well I wasnt trying to sound funny or anything,im just asking her
No sweat, just so long as you know.
Old 15-04-2015, 18:20   #172
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I only use cb for local so no point in hoping for a chat especially as I told you that you were barking up the wrong tree a couple of years back when you were harassing me..

As for power that is a stupid question when one of my last qso's was Australia with 10w on 20m with a basic home made cobweb. If the conditions are good especially if you time it along the grey line you don't need a lot of power.
Old 15-04-2015, 18:55   #173
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Nice variety there Kymmy

I haven't really had a chance to do any radio recently (apart from monitoring the Russian naval aviation nets )

Current list of radios here is:

Yaesu FT1000MP Mark V with Collins mechanical filter and high stability oscillator boards
Yaesu FT857D All mode/band mobile
Yaesu FT847 All mode/band
Yaesu VX-3 VHF Handheld
Yaesu VX-8E VHF Handheld
Kenwood TS480HX HF + 6M quasi mobile
Kenwood TM-G707E VHF Mobile

Usually barefoot power only here unless running meteor scatter or the odd pile-up break:

Linear Amp Discovery 2 - 1.5KW* at full drive for 2M
Acom 1000 - 1KW* on full drive for HF and 6M

*never run at max of course
Old 17-04-2015, 15:15   #174
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post

*never run at max of course
Except of course to overcome antenna and feed line inefficiency

I rarely run 100w on HF these days much preferring to run 5w on jt65..
Old 17-04-2015, 15:43   #175
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Fired up my 148 this morning after giving it a good clean and dusting, pleasantly surprised to find my old Astatic Teardrop mic amongst the junk which I'd forgotten I had. It used to get me heard much further than with a standard mic running a 500w burner. I was always disappointed with the poor build quality but my audio clarity was outstanding.

Anyway I didn't have the time or inclination to put my old Antron 99 so I hooked it up to the Firestick mag-mount I found lurking in the garage, set it up in my car and went to the beach car park. I was surprised to hear loads of activity on 27.555, almost as busy as when I started out in the early 90s. The vast majority was mainland Europe, seemingly a lot from Denmark and Germany.

Surprised to hear a few local CBers on 27/81 as well - seems like CB isn't totally dead yet. I'll keep hold of my set-up I think. Perfect form of communication when law and order breaks down in the UK, the internet gets closed down and mobile signals are shut off

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 17-04-2015, 16:17   #176
Kymmy
Inactive

Remember though that 27.555 is not within the legal bands. Ssb is only allowed on mid band.. Should still though be lots of activity on there.
Old 17-04-2015, 17:06   #177
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Except of course to overcome antenna and feed line inefficiency
Only within the appropriate loss limits. I would never run flat-out, everything else aside good tubes aren't cheap to replace.

There are plenty of foundation licence holders on 20M as wide as the titanic with their 10W and G5RV's though :P
Old 17-04-2015, 17:13   #178
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Remember though that 27.555 is not within the legal bands. Ssb is only allowed on mid band..
Not as if that stopped many people in the past

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 17-04-2015, 17:22   #179
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
There are plenty of foundation licence holders on 20M as wide as the titanic with their 10W and G5RV's though :P
Oh no, please don't mention the old M3/M6 arguments, I rarely go on the ham radio forums due to the oldies not shutting up about it.. Mind you the last time I was on a ham forum one of the G0's was still going on about the B class licences and how we'd all be M3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Not as if that stopped many people in the past
Probably not Russ, but one day the primary users of 27Mhz might want thier bandwidth back and I for one will not be arguing against them...
Old 17-04-2015, 17:56   #180
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Oh no, please don't mention the old M3/M6 arguments, I rarely go on the ham radio forums
Blimey I would never pop my head around the door in one of those places. The old uk radio amateur newsgroup was enough of a bad advertisment for the spirit of friendship in the hobby.

And neither are the bands themselves

The naughty boys net on 80m
Russians with their broadcast amplifiers and echomaster mics on 40m
Overdriven amplifiers on 20m and that Italian idiot who trolls the IOTA frequencies
Drunkenness and swearing on 2m..etc etc: The list of reasons to not be very happy with the state of the hobby at the moment is a long one.
Closed Thread