Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nokia 5230 with sat nav

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nokia 5230 with sat nav

Old 30-07-2010, 12:14   #16
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Nokia 5230 with sat nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
It may be my imagination, but does yours put on a tetchy sarcastic tone of voice if you miss a turning or think you know better?
No that is just the wife from the back seat.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2010, 12:18   #17
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
LondonRoad: IIRC you're in or near Glasgow? When my wife and I were using Ovi navigation through Glasgow recently, we passed under the M8 and were amongst some tall buildings. The sat nav told us to "as soon as possible, turn round, then turn round." After we both shouted at it and then ignored its instructions, it stopped talking to us until I reinstalled the maps and voice files.

It may be my imagination, but does yours put on a tetchy sarcastic tone of voice if you miss a turning or think you know better?
You're right, it is a bit iffy on the M8 in the city centre. Not even just near tall buildings. If you join the M8 at Charing Cross it tells you it's doing a route recalculation 3 times in the next mile.

I tried using the surfer dude voice coming back from Dundee the other day. It was amusing for a short time, telling me to "Chill, What's the hurry dude", if my accelerator foot got a bit heavy. Eventually it got on my t!ts though.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:53   #18
archie hunter
Inactive

Services: Ex-Telewest: Virgin Media TV XL with V+, Phone XL, Broadband M
archie hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of getting this phone myself but was wondering about font sizes - especially for texting. I've set my existing phone (Nokia Music Express 5220) to the largest font size but it's still a bit small.
Ideally i'd like to be able to read/compose texts while out and about without the need for getting my reading glasses out every time.
archie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:49   #19
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

I use the large size font - seems pretty good to my (getting older) eyes. Although it would probably be much the same as the 5220. Perhaps have a look at one in a shop?

If you turn the phone sideways, you get a full alpha keyboard. Using the supplied tool makes typing even easier.

Or better still, install the Swype keyboard http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/swype-for-symbian.

These don't change the font size though.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 18:37   #20
archie hunter
Inactive

Thanks for the advice Pauls9
Old 10-10-2010, 17:32   #21
archie hunter
Inactive

I'm just about to order my phone but before I do can someone advise re.the Virgin £15 Web tariff ? Is web access free up to 500mb but over this I would be charged 30p per day ?
Old 10-10-2010, 18:02   #22
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

The missus decided against this phone in the end and went for the LG GT540 Optimus which she's very happy with. The google maps/sat nav is excellent and IIRC the screen is a bit bigger than the Nokia. The Optimus wasn't available on Virgin at the time but we got it from Carphone Warehouse (all their phones are unlocked) and then stuck a Virgin SIM in it. She is using the £5pm web access add-on which gives up to 1gb pm. Thus far she's never used more than about 20% of her monthly allowance so it's proving a good deal.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 18:42   #23
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

We have gone for the payg on the 8p a min 30 p a day with 2 5230
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote