Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | blackberry useage?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

blackberry useage?

Old 15-07-2010, 18:21   #1
freakgirl
Inactive

Services: ntl digital/broadband
freakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to freakgirl
blackberry useage?

So on my virgin account details it list's blackberry useage for every 15 mins or so even though i haven't used it in a few hours looks like this

15-Jul-10 16:41:07 BlackBerry usage £0.00
15-Jul-10 16:27:07 BlackBerry usage £0.00
15-Jul-10 16:12:09 BlackBerry usage £0.00
15-Jul-10 15:57:11 BlackBerry usage £0.00

Is that normal or is some app doing this, the one i have downloaded is twitter but im not signed on to that at the moment
freakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2010, 18:23   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: blackberry useage?

Do you have your Blackberry setup to check your email?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:23   #3
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Don't Blackberrys have a push system like iPhones? Maybe it's that.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:25   #4
freakgirl
Inactive

freakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Do you have your Blackberry setup to check your email?
Yeah I set up an email on it, is that refreshing every 15 mins or so looking for new emails?
Old 15-07-2010, 18:32   #5
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Probably, yes
Old 15-07-2010, 18:35   #6
freakgirl
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Probably, yes
Ok so next question if it's doing that every 15 mins how much of my 25mb email useage is that going to be using?
Old 15-07-2010, 18:36   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakgirl View Post
Ok so next question if it's doing that every 15 mins how much of my 25mb email useage is that going to be using?
Surely that depends how big the emails are? - attachments that kind of thing.
Old 15-07-2010, 18:40   #8
freakgirl
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
Surely that depends how big the emails are? - attachments that kind of thing.
Thing is i haven't recieved any emails yet, but it's still doing something every 15 mins or so
Old 15-07-2010, 18:42   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Thing is i haven't recieved any emails yet, but it's still doing something every 15 mins or so
It has to connect to see if you have any emails. That's what it'll be doing.
Old 15-07-2010, 18:47   #10
freakgirl
Inactive

Quote:
It has to connect to see if you have any emails. That's what it'll be doing.
But if i'm not recieving anything it won't really affect my useage if it does it every 15 mins or so? noone has my email yet lol.

Oh is the email useage 25mb a day or a month cause I read somewhere it was a month but on the virgin site on the fair policy section it said it was a day
Old 15-07-2010, 18:51   #11
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
But if i'm not recieving anything it won't really affect my useage if it does it every 15 mins or so? noone has my email yet lol.

Oh is the email useage 25mb a day or a month cause I read somewhere it was a month but on the virgin site on the fair policy section it said it was a day
It can't receive anything unless it checks to see if there is anything to get, maybe you can send yourself an email to check it's all working ok?

I doubt you're going to go over your limit just by it checking.

BUT

Here's a couple of thoughts. Do you NEED to have your emails within 15 mins? Why not an hour or even two? You could change the setting to check it less often then it would use less data. and save the battery a bit too.

There will be a setting somewhere that will allow it to just download the subject / heading so you can check to see if it's worth downloading the rest of the email. If you do that you can just not download the ones with pictures 'till you can look nn your computer.

You'll have to wait for someone else to give you blackberry specific replies I'm afraid - I've got a HTC Desire so I can't help with that, sorry

edit - it's 25mb per day.
Old 15-07-2010, 18:57   #12
freakgirl
Inactive

Quote:
It can't receive anything unless it checks to see if there is anything to get, maybe you can send yourself an email to check it's all working ok?

I doubt you're going to go over your limit just by it checking.

BUT

Here's a couple of thoughts. Do you NEED to have your emails within 15 mins? Why not an hour or even two? You could change the setting to check it less often then it would use less data. and save the battery a bit too.

There will be a setting somewhere that will allow it to just download the subject / heading so you can check to see if it's worth downloading the rest of the email. If you do that you can just not download the ones with pictures 'till you can look nn your computer.

You'll have to wait for someone else to give you blackberry specific replies I'm afraid - I've got a HTC Desire so I can't help with that, sorry

edit - it's 25mb per day.
Yeah i'll change it if I can figure out how to so it only checks every 2 hours or so, the email address is a blackberry one, haven't bothered setting up my hotmail one most of my emails are just from internet sites rather then people
Old 15-07-2010, 18:59   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Yeah i'll change it if I can figure out how to so it only checks every 2 hours or so, the email address is a blackberry one, haven't bothered setting up my hotmail one most of my emails are just from internet sites rather then people
Let us know how you get on
Old 15-07-2010, 19:01   #14
freakgirl
Inactive

Will do
Old 15-07-2010, 19:01   #15
Graham M
-

Also normally when it checks your emails it'll only download the headers normally so a fairly small amount of text which will barely dent your data plan