Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | blackberry useage?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

blackberry useage?

Old 16-07-2010, 16:31   #16
freakgirl
Inactive

Services: ntl digital/broadband
freakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to freakgirl
Re: blackberry useage?

One more question, does the twitter for blackberry app count towards my internet useage or my email useage?
freakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2010, 17:59   #17
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Are they 2 separate things?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:59   #18
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

The Blackberry uses the BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) to push data to your phone. The blackberry will not "search" for email as the network sends it directly as soon as an email has been picked up by your POP or IMAP email server. Thsi has no bearing on your data limit as its not part of the broadcast data network (your 3G basically).

You shouldnt incur charges for any data access for email usage unless its being run through a third party app like Gmail which wont use the BES. You would need to be receiving a HELL of a lot of emails to breach your daily AUP limit on BB email, by default all graphics are turned off and attachments tend to be filtered beyond 10Mb so that help. In many years of (heavy) Blackberry email usage on many networks, I have yet to see a single charge for email usage.

Also, your twittier app will count towards your data usage as it transmits over the GSM network.

Hope this helps

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:13   #19
freakgirl
Inactive

freakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nicefreakgirl is just really nice

That's about the twitter app cause i have been using that but my useage balance hasn't gone down atall according to my account the only time it went down when I was browsing some websites. Does blackberry messenger count towards the data useage?
Old 22-07-2010, 17:50   #20
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

No, BBM also passes through the BES so shouldn't contribute towards your data cap, but even if it did it would be minuscule.

Do you have any apps on your BB (weather, news, eBay etc etc) as these can all use data even while you arent in them! There is a weather app that changes its icon based on your desired weather location as a perfect example.

Old 22-07-2010, 18:05   #21
freakgirl
Inactive

No just ubertwitter but as I said it dosen't seem to be taking up any of my useage. You say bbm uses bes do you mean bis, because bes only works if i'm connected to a wifi.

So has much data does ubertwitter take up, I don't keep it running just log into it when I want to send a tweet so say I logged into it 12 times a day and maybe send about 3 twitpics how much data would that take up
Old 23-07-2010, 08:31   #22
weesteev
Cable Guru

Doesnt Ubertwitter refresh when the app is closed? The official Twitter app seems to pull data for 72 hours after you open the app even if you dont access it again in that time frame. Makes sense as your updates are live when you access the app, but I dont use ubertwitter so not to sure about that one.

Old 23-07-2010, 14:15   #23
freakgirl
Inactive

It might do either way it dosen't seem to be taking up much data so it's all good, a friend of mine has a 500mb month deal and she's on ubertwitter all the time and far as i know hasn't had any problems