Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media aims to create 1,000 jobs in Swansea by 2014

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin media engineer careers

Old 29-07-2012, 19:51   #1
daveyl
Inactive

daveyl is an unknown quantity at this point
virgin media engineer careers

Hi i am currently trying to decide between getting into installing etc with virgin media or trying to get into the electronic security/structured cabling or electrician trade? Was just wondering if people in the know could provide any advice as to pros and cons between these trades and what would be the best career path. also things like the best earning potential, best kind of work, differences between the physicality of the work..... just generally what would be the best .bet to get involved with for a decent career? Thanks for any info.. sorry if this is the wrong area to post in but cant see where else i would post. cheers.
daveyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2012, 20:17   #2
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Re: virgin media engineer careers

it would help if we had more input from you, age, experience , schooling etc
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 20:28   #3
daveyl
Inactive

Im 20 and have done various construction type jobs so far but am now looking to get into a trade/industry long term.
Old 29-07-2012, 20:36   #4
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Education? you must have a certificate in maths, do you have this? plus one of the sciences, physics preferably. this for an electrician. I have no idea what you need for installation tech
Old 29-07-2012, 20:38   #5
daveyl
Inactive

Yes have these from school, would it be a good guess that being a spark would be much better than a cable tech or??.......
Old 29-07-2012, 20:53   #6
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

I would think any electrician could do a cable tech or alarms tech with some training, I don't think it would work the other way round. But I suppose the training for an electrician is usually an apprenticeship( collage time involved (3 years? ) day release.Whereas a cable tech is a lot shorter training.
The sparky is a lot more scope.
( Not that I would know of course, I used to be a Tiffy so a sparky wouldn't trust me as far as he could throw me)
Old 30-07-2012, 12:59   #7
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Virginmedia employee many "engineers" either directly or via sub-con. You could always apply for a job as a "forward path attenuator" fitter though, they seem to employ hundreds of them
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 15:06   #8
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly_ View Post
I don't think Virginmedia employee many "engineers" either directly or via sub-con. You could always apply for a job as a "forward path attenuator" fitter though, they seem to employ hundreds of them
VM employ well over 1500 engineers/technicians. Technicians tend to do Installs and Service visits, Engineers maintain and upgrade their Network.

I know a few people who work there

This link gives more info - http://careers.virginmedia.com/oppor...-networks.html

These are the current Tech/Engineer roles available - https://www2.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_virg...bckvosyfvgxypy
Old 04-08-2012, 21:46   #9
ZiQi
Inactive

ZiQi is an unknown quantity at this point

All the techs I've had visit when in different homes are all planning on leaving due to poor working conditions etc
ZiQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30   #10
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiQi View Post
All the techs I've had visit when in different homes are all planning on leaving due to poor working conditions etc
They will be sub contractors
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21   #11
ZiQi
Inactive

ZiQi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
They will be sub contractors
Yeah, that's true.
ZiQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 22:52   #12
Stevo11
Inactive

Stevo11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get into the cable industry if you can help it. Even if you work direct for VM, which ain't easy, you'll still be doing more graft than if you were with say BT or Sky.

The industry is notoriously hard graft and that's because the people who run things VM, (NTL, Telewest) etc, expect way too much from their employees (slaves). I used to work direct for BT and in my induction they would joke about how lucky we were seeing as we only had to do 4 jobs (singles) per day max! and that virgin would give their techs 6 jobs(quads/tripples) at the very least. I didn't appreciate what they where saying at the time, being a noob and all, but after working in cable I see how right they were.

People blame the specific contractors, but it's VM who are to blame.
Stevo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15   #13
Mr Banana

Thats odd as they are appearing at Mobile Workforce Managment due to the face they have the most engaged field force in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo11 View Post
Don't get into the cable industry if you can help it. Even if you work direct for VM, which ain't easy, you'll still be doing more graft than if you were with say BT or Sky.

The industry is notoriously hard graft and that's because the people who run things VM, (NTL, Telewest) etc, expect way too much from their employees (slaves). I used to work direct for BT and in my induction they would joke about how lucky we were seeing as we only had to do 4 jobs (singles) per day max! and that virgin would give their techs 6 jobs(quads/tripples) at the very least. I didn't appreciate what they where saying at the time, being a noob and all, but after working in cable I see how right they were.

People blame the specific contractors, but it's VM who are to blame.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45   #14
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Thats odd as they are appearing at Mobile Workforce Managment due to the face they have the most engaged field force in the UK?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:15   #15
Stevo11
Inactive

Stevo11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, it's not "odd". It's just one guy giving an honest opinion! to the next. I don't know, or care, about this work force management to be honest. Will it make the engineers look any less depressed and suicidal when they come into the yard each morning?
Stevo11 is offline   Reply With Quote