Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 23-02-2012, 10:49   #691
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That is wrong. There is no automatic rise at the end of a contract.

If Virgin decided to change that (and I am in no way implying that they have or will) then it would be considered a price change under the terms and conditions and so would require written notification and trigger the price change clause
Thank you for this Ben

Den -were o were can I buy some !!!
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2012, 10:52   #692
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I will say this for VM their price is going up in april Sky usually have their rise about september time so it could be out of the frying pan into the fire.

In my area however sky can only offer 1mb broadband and no on demand due to pathetically low broadband speed so for me virgin offer a much better serivce, virgin is better value IMO especially since they let me keep my V+ for free multiroom.

VM in all my years with them and before that NTL and before that Anglia Cable, have always been reliable.
VM are also a good proivder (except for some TV channels, which I hoping the price rise will fix), so I will stay with VM (for now)!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:54   #693
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
I called to be told my price rise is £3.50 but I haven't received a letter so I have no idea how that breaks down.

They said I could give notice on the 1st April so am I right in assuming that is across all services rather than just those that have a price increase?

I think the only thing that isn't going up is line rental but I will want rid of that at the same time.
Got mine yesterday there was no breakdown on it either you letter will not have one i only broke it down to £2 for the TVXL and £1.50 for the broadband from what i have read on here.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:59   #694
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
It might do if you ive in an area that is capable of more them 1mb through a phone line muppetman,also i do get free multiroom whereas freinds who do have sky get charged for this.

1mb BB would not be enough even to stream you tube let alone sky VOD where i live.

Yes Sky do have a greater channel range, but even friends who do have sky will look at the EPG when i am around and they like me with VM will say all these channels and nothing to watch tonight.

In my area Sky certainly do not beat VM by a country mile.
Sadly, they have got more HD channels, Sky Atlantic and Premier Sports!

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well my experience of Sky comes from being down my parents place and their broadband is of a generally poor quality with a very intermittent and poor signal happening most of the time and really can you say overall that Skys TV service is that much better then Virgins as Virgin have by far the superior VOD service so overall it is just as good if not better and then the there is a superior STB to boot as well thus making Virgins TV service overall the better package in my mind.
VM's STB, Broadband and VOD are better than Sky!

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

If Sky lanuchs 80MB broadband and improve their VOD (plus adding Netflex and LoveFilm), they VM will be in real trouble!
Old 23-02-2012, 13:37   #695
mike24
Inactive

Services: super hub 2, 50Mbps, TiVo 500MB Tv, phone
mike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enough

I have just changed, my package , 30Mbps/tvM & phone.
Just had a email from April increase of £3.70
With broadband doubling from July nothing like a free lunch!
You either put up with it or cancel.
michael
mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:41   #696
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24 View Post
I have just changed, my package , 30Mbps/tvM & phone.
Just had a email from April increase of £3.70
With broadband doubling from July nothing like a free lunch!
You either put up with it or cancel.
michael
Yep pretty much my broadband speed increases from july as well in our area.
Old 24-02-2012, 12:03   #697
stereohaven
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo, V HD Box, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone M
stereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the rough

Apologies for quoting myself but...

Quote:
They said I could give notice on the 1st April so am I right in assuming that is across all services rather than just those that have a price increase?
...does anyone know the definitive answer to this?

As far as I can tell it is the cost of TV and Broadband that is going up but not line rental, although call costs are increasing I think I read somewhere here.

So can I give notice on all of my services on the 1st April or just the TV & Broadband?

2 reasons why I am keen to know the answer, 1. I need my phone line to get ADSL back from Sky and 2. I've just received a very tempting "return to Sky" offer that I only have a couple of weeks to take advantage of!
stereohaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 12:05   #698
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So can I give notice on all of my services on the 1st April or just the TV & Broadband?
You'll need to speak to Customer Relations. Some people have managed to do so and some haven't.

Although technically as the line rental hasn't increased then the price change clause doesn't count, as the changes in charges are voluntary usage.

You couldn't, for instance, cancel the TV if the price of the Filmflex movies changed
Old 24-02-2012, 12:08   #699
stereohaven
Inactive

stereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You'll need to speak to Customer Relations. Some people have managed to do so and some haven't.
Thanks for the answer.

When I called to check the price increase and asked specifically if I could cancel everything I was told "Yes", but I know these things can depend on who you speak to on a particular day or what the current directive from on high is.

Luckily I have two lines into the house so worse case scenario I'll have the other one connected for £10 and use that for ADSL instead!
Old 24-02-2012, 13:04   #700
daggman
Inactive

Services: 30MB broadband XL, thats all now after Price rises and F1 for 22.50, so sky tv for me.
daggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of light

You dont have to wait till the 1st April to give notice, as soon as you are notified of price increase u have 30 days, i got my letter on Monday, i had a little think about it and cancelled on Wednesday. You will get the come back to sky letters every month without fail.
daggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 13:13   #701
stereohaven
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggman View Post
You dont have to wait till the 1st April to give notice, as soon as you are notified of price increase u have 30 days, i got mine letter on Monday, i had a little think about and cancelled on Wednesday.
Really? I thought you had to wait until the price increase started? Even better!

Did they let you cancel line rental as well or did you not have it with VM?

Quote:
You will get the come back to sky letters every month without fail.
I got an offer of half price Sky TV for 12 months this morning, that is half price on everything including Sports & Movies (but excludes the HD pack), 6 months free Broadband Unlimited, a free 1TB box (because I want to add Multiroom) and they are moving my existing Sky+HD box upstairs.

That is Sky World for £26.50 a month for a year!
Old 24-02-2012, 13:14   #702
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Really? I thought you had to wait until the price increase started? Even better!

I got an offer of half price Sky TV for 12 months this morning, that is half price on everything including Sports & Movies (but excludes the HD pack), 6 months free Broadband Unlimited, a free 1TB box (because I want to add Multiroom) and they are moving my existing Sky+HD box upstairs.

Will you accept the offer from Sky?
Old 24-02-2012, 13:31   #703
daggman
Inactive

Services: 30MB broadband XL, thats all now after Price rises and F1 for 22.50, so sky tv for me.
daggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I cancelled the TV and line, I have been getting them same sky letters since leaving last year, last one expired 16th Feb just received another that expires on 15th March, so Virgin have untill the 14th to make me an offer. Virgin services End 22nd March.
daggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 13:34   #704
stereohaven
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Will you accept the offer from Sky?
Without doubt, although I believe this current "deal" expires on the 15th March which is why I hope i can give notice sooner rather than later but I haven't had my letter yet.

I should point out that the guy at Sky told me everyone who returns to Sky will get offered slightly different things depending on their personal situation. I've only been gone since October, still have the Sky+HD box sitting under the TV and the ADSL router sitting on the shelf, so I'm easy to switch back on as it were.

He said that anyone who left within the last 12 months is treated differently to a new customer and will get an even better deal because usually no installation of extra hardware is needed.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Quote:
I cancelled the TV and line, I have been getting them same sky letters since leaving last year, last one expired 16th Feb just received another that expires on 15th March, so Virgin have untill the 14th to make me an offer. Virgin services End 22nd March.
Thank you.

As far as I'm concerned then their is no way they can stop me cancelling all services if they have allowed others to do so.
Old 24-02-2012, 13:58   #705
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Going up £4.30 a month for me an easy solution to that is to downgrade the TV to M+.
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote