Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30   #196
itcomms
Inactive

Services: 50MB Virgin Business Internet
itcomms is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

correct, but no static IP
itcomms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38   #197
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

i have jsut been thiinking, this is goign to sound ridilkous but not impossible

i jsut read that plenty of people on business are having problems with email servrs.

well on residental lines virign block port 25 due to potential spam so peopel cant set up ther eown server.

i wonder if some idiot has not unblocked port 25 for business cusotmers?
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49   #198
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Port 25 isn't blocked on the business service, but the Superhub causes problems, we think related to MTU for inbound SMTP connections.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55   #199
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Port 25 isn't blocked on the business service, but the Superhub causes problems, we think related to MTU for inbound SMTP connections.
fair enough just wanted to be sure as wouldnt surprise me if virign had
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13   #200
itcomms
Inactive

I can also confrim port 25 is NOT blocked on residental as we had an exchange server at home with no issues.

We have no trust in VM with the superhub, we are getting BT FTTC installed at the end of this month and VM will be used as a backup connection and will remain at 10MB

we have already lost £10k in lost sales due to the SH
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24   #201
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Aside from BT FTTC being a better service overall I'd have switched over a long time ago if I knew it was going to cost me any more than £20 not to!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:32   #202
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Well this discussion continued on the VM communities forum but was just closed by a moderator on that forum - stating that all business internet problems should only be discussed on the phone! Well I don't think he can censor discussion here.

As an update I can confirm that reducing the MTU size in our router has solved the Exchange problem we also encountered after installation (although it was not evident at first).

I since had a call returned from Business Faults who tried to tell me to do the very same fix, i.e. to set the MTU value in the email server or the router (if you have one) depending on type of setup. They were not quite clear as to the best value to use, but something under 1460 was advised.

The guy also told me they had a new version of firmware was being tested "next week". He did not know how it fixes having this restricted MTU (I found most PPPoE networks use 1492) but said they were working on this issue and also some other issue with the tunnel dropping occasionally.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:51   #203
itcomms
Inactive

we are now hitting real problems with downgrading to the 10MB service due to limited bandwidth (Upload speed) with our VoIP Phone System.

so we are really on to a no winner here.

Our offices are serviced by both BT(ADSL Maxi) and (Virgin Media)

to operate we need at least 1.5MB upload speed.

BT can't give us enough bandwidth until FTTC is enabled, Virgin 10MB is not really fast enough, 20MB does not have static IP Address, and 50MB is full of faults.

Leased Lines is £1200 per month, we have now changed the codec on the phone system from G711 to G729 which will lower the bandwidth usage so will keep an eye on this.

I hope VM don't take too long in fixing the issues.
Old 09-03-2012, 17:25   #204
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

<------ Is slightly worried since his office is about to be upgraded to 50meg on Monday. Not quite sure how the superhub, even with a dynamic IP, is going to integrate into a dual WAN routed system so we can use either cable or and ADSL2 connection if one goes a bit wonky.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 17:25   #205
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Does 20mb (performance wise) work for you? If this is business critical, then there are ways of getting a static IP address by bypassing Virgin Media. It's a dirty hack, but does do the job.

Alternatively, some ADSL ISPs offer line bonding, which along with doubling your download speed also doubles your upload speed, but those options are expensive for what you get.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 17:32   #206
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Rob: FYI we have a dual WAN device (SonicWall) now with the 50 Mb VM and Zen ADSL (Max) and now email is flowing OK it seems to be functioning OK. We do not have VOIP (other that the occasional Skye call). We did opt for the 5 fixed IPs with a subnet.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 20:59   #207
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I see VM decided to shut the thread down on the community forum about this.

However I just wanted to post here (as I can't there!) that changing the config of the Cisco router I have behind the Business Superhub with ip mtu 1460 on the WAN interface and ip tcp adjust-mss 1420 on the internal VLAN1 interface seems to have fixed the email delay problems I had been experiencing.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:03   #208
itcomms
Inactive

are you getting any errors in the logs?

why such a drop in MTU Size? surely this can cause issues with networks sending packets larger then your MTU?
Old 12-03-2012, 14:50   #209
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Superhub installed with dynamic IP. Installer had a bit of a fiddle in the street cabinet as he checked signal levels. Ethernet between LAN port and WAN2 port of our Draytek Vigor 2920 dual WAN router as a straight swap for the old Cisco modem. Not even a router reboot and all works fine.

I've disabled the wireless, without any testing of it. No real need for it as the Superhub is on the wrong part of the network configuration to allow any wireless connected devices to obtain stuff from our LAN servers. It's for that reason that I'd suggest in many business locations the Superhub provides more functionality than is needed, and thus may be a tad more expensive to provide to customers than an alternative chocie of a SACM. Seems a shame that the Cisco modem, only a year old, is now confined to a spares shelf to gather dust.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:01   #210
itcomms
Inactive

Rob, do you not have any mail servers?