Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 26-09-2010, 14:10   #901
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloo View Post
would you think about going semi legit by purchasing a sky itilia card and box?
No

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2010, 14:16   #902
pabloo
Inactive

pabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
No

why to expensive?dont fancy a dish?
pabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:23   #903
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
No because it is theft and you already know the answer so why ask the question.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:24   #904
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I don't need a dish i have cable and i am happy to pay the full subscription not lower myself to gutter level and steal or pay for a grey market cs server that is as dodgy as a dodgy thing from the planet dodgy. DPI is coming

Old 26-09-2010, 14:28   #905
pabloo
Inactive

pabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
No because it is theft and you already know the answer so why ask the question.
i believe there is a long running court case about this and it hasnt been settled yet,how is it theft if your paying sky itilia??

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote:
I don't need a dish i have cable and i am happy to pay the full subscription not lower myself to gutter level and steal or pay for a grey market cs server that is as dodgy as a dodgy thing from the planet dodgy. DPI is coming
i am not talking about carshareing i am talking about paying sky itilia and getting a legit card/box

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Quote:
Quote:
Thats why i NEVER EVER use torrents any more. Its SSL newsgroups all the way for me.
Dont worry i am not stalking you someone today just bummped the Have you received a letter from Davenport Lyons or ACS? and i was reading through it and you posted that on the 4th page..tut tut tut
Old 26-09-2010, 14:33   #906
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
i believe there is a long running court case about this and it hasnt been settled yet,how is it theft if your paying sky itilia??
So are you saying that there is no clause in there contract when you sign up for the subscription that's says not to be used in country's not covered by there broadcast rights area and reselling the service outside of that area is forbidden.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

i am not talking about carshareing i am talking about paying sky itilia and getting a legit card/box

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Dont worry i am not stalking you someone today just bummped the Have you received a letter from Davenport Lyons or ACS? and i was reading through it and you posted that on the 4th page..tut tut tut
Yep i download my legal content from the newsgroups as i get a good connection. Plus i dont even use paid for servers now as i can use VM's servers for my updates.

There are lots of legal streaming sites now from itv vm, bbc, Sky, the list goes on.

Here's a demo for you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...2010_Week_Two/

Old 26-09-2010, 14:51   #907
pabloo
Inactive

yea theres a clause in the contract that is signed in ITALY lol its not even signed by you,why would you worry?

[OFF-TOPIC section removed]
Old 26-09-2010, 15:10   #908
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

<<Kymmy gets her eraser out for the off-topic posts!!!>>
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 15:55   #909
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
I think you will find that it is still illegal to view that in this country and any court case will be in favour of it staying illegal.
Old 26-09-2010, 16:24   #910
pabloo
Inactive

Quote:
I think you will find that it is still illegal to view that in this country and any court case will be in favour of it staying illegal.
well technically yes because that case is about showing it in a public house,but i am talking about private houses,for all football fans i am sure if they knew they were paying sky itilia they wouldnt have a problem with that particular setup here in the uk,what do you think about people who pay sky itilia their full subs and have this in their homes in the uk??
Old 26-09-2010, 16:36   #911
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I think you will find that EU free trade laws actually make this far from a cut and dry case. We're going to have to wait till next year until we can truly say if it's illegal or not, I wouldn't want to stick money on it being either way.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 17:40   #912
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
I think you will find that EU free trade laws actually make this far from a cut and dry case. We're going to have to wait till next year until we can truly say if it's illegal or not, I wouldn't want to stick money on it being either way.
Remember who owns SKY and the legal team that he will have into bat will be formidable and I think the government will want to ensure it goes his way due to the support his products give them.
Old 26-09-2010, 18:02   #913
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Remember who owns SKY and the legal team that he will have into bat will be formidable and I think the government will want to ensure it goes his way due to the support his products give them.
But it's a case referred to the EU high court, so it doesn't matter what the government wants. The EU is notoriously anti-monopoly, and market segregation in the satellite TV market is anti-EU, it goes completely against the four freedoms of the EU's free market, it really is a restriction of services, so I really wouldn't bet on them ruling in favour of Sky. But equally I wouldn't bet on them ruling against Sky, as the implications of eradicating the localisation of TV services is truly massive. It would require every single carriage contract to be rewrote for a start as exclusivity by area would simply not be possible any more.

One thing is for certain though, when the EU high court returns their answers it's going to be a hell of an interesting read.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 10:05   #914
darkm
Inactive

darkm can only hope to improve

Quote:
So are you saying that there is no clause in there contract when you sign up for the subscription that's says not to be used in country's not covered by there broadcast rights area and reselling the service outside of that area is forbidden.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Yep i download my legal content from the newsgroups as i get a good connection. Plus i dont even use paid for servers now as i can use VM's servers for my updates.

There are lots of legal streaming sites now from itv vm, bbc, Sky, the list goes on.

Here's a demo for you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...2010_Week_Two/
Dont really see anything you download being legal..Since most stuff is copyright protected and the content is digitally protected as well, i would be pretty sure that alot of the stuff you download is not legal from VM newsgroups. Even the stuff you download from the bbc iplayer, it is fine to view is it "30 days", then after that its deleted from your pc.. Why beacuse it does not belong to you..You do make me laugh...Enjoy your Ban by the way

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote:

i relly dont think they are worried about DPI, since alot will use other providers, even Pay as you go internet. And there is always VPN..

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
If you have read this thread then surely you will have seen numerous mentions of the illegal boxes causing noise and interference on the network plus they are obtaining their services illegally and that is reason enough for anyone to be happy that these scumbags are now losing their freebies.

Also why shouldan y company have to suffer a loss to enable scumbags a free ride.
Most dodgy boxes are built using the same specs as the sub box. There will be no interference on the network, nothing that would effect other subcribers. Certainey i have never had my viewing disrupted by this! Yes bad cabling, people digging up streets might but those are the stupid people.

Same old story really. Why do people do it? Because they can is the simple answer. Why pay for a service if the service your getting is rubbish? Compared to sky Vm lack in the Hd offering. Always playing catch up.

Vm upgrade to Nagra 3 wasnt to do with ending cable piracy..More to do with the fact that the Nagra 1 contract was up..And out of plain courtsey they were allowed to carry on with it while they implemented nagra 3 and in fact the N1 caid is still present. Vm would have still carried on if they hadnt have been out of contract. But as they were forced to upgrade and the fact they wanted more HD channels from sky and were told bluntly to upgrade the encryption.

has it ended Cable Piracy, no.. People still can get TV without paying for subs. The only thing it has done is cause VM to spend more money on a battle they can never win..
darkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 10:52   #915
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkm View Post
Dont really see anything you download being legal..Since most stuff is copyright protected and the content is digitally protected as well, i would be pretty sure that alot of the stuff you download is not legal from VM newsgroups. Even the stuff you download from the bbc iplayer, it is fine to view is it "30 days", then after that its deleted from your pc.. Why beacuse it does not belong to you..You do make me laugh...Enjoy your Ban by the way [COLOR="Silver"]
If you download stuff from the legal sites (such as iPlayer, iTunes store etc), it is still legal whether it is protected or not, and whether it expires or not.

Quote:
Most dodgy boxes are built using the same specs as the sub box. There will be no interference on the network, nothing that would effect other subcribers. Certainey i have never had my viewing disrupted by this! Yes bad cabling, people digging up streets might but those are the stupid people.
TBH, I doubt you'd know if a dodgy box was affecting your connection unless you are able physically check every box connected to your part of the network. I suspect that most VM engineers would not be able to determine that 100% accurately either.

That said, if the dodgy box in question is a hacked VM box, then unless the hacker did something really stupid, it is unlikely to affect the network, but if the install was done badly (and a lot of of dodgy cable installs are), then that will affect the network.

Quote:
Same old story really. Why do people do it? Because they can is the simple answer. Why pay for a service if the service your getting is rubbish? Compared to sky Vm lack in the Hd offering. Always playing catch up.
People don't get dodgy Cable boxes because Sky is superior, or because VM is crap (which is debatable). If they did, Sky would not have similar problems with hacking. They don't even do it because they think VM is too expensive for what it offers. Think about that. Primark has invested heavily in security systems for their stores. Why? They sell cheap clothes. Clothes that in a lot of cases are worth considerably less than the system used to protect them and are so cheap that most people would not consider nicking them (Why go to prison for a £3 T shirt?). They do it because people *will* nick those £3 T shirts, and they *will* risk prison to get it, rather than spend £3.

People do it because they don't want to pay for what they recieve. Simple.

Quote:
Vm upgrade to Nagra 3 wasnt to do with ending cable piracy..More to do with the fact that the Nagra 1 contract was up..And out of plain courtsey they were allowed to carry on with it while they implemented nagra 3 and in fact the N1 caid is still present. Vm would have still carried on if they hadnt have been out of contract. But as they were forced to upgrade and the fact they wanted more HD channels from sky and were told bluntly to upgrade the encryption.
How do you know this? We have actual staff members (and I mean *verified* staff members) posting on here that VM are doing this to combat piracy.

Quote:
has it ended Cable Piracy, no.. People still can get TV without paying for subs. The only thing it has done is cause VM to spend more money on a battle they can never win..
VM will never stop piracy. No security system can ever entirely eliminate crime. That does not mean, however, that they can not limit the effects of piracy (and they are). As such that does not mean they should not try.

After all, how long did On Digital last when their encryption was thoroughly hacked?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote