Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 02-08-2009, 17:57   #301
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadge101 View Post
Softening your language to "online release system" as opposed to calling it what it is, i.e. copyright theft services is wrong. Not-for-profit should read "depriving people/bands/companies of revenue that is rightly theirs". It is still theft plain and simple. I agree, illegal filesharing isn't very likely to be part of or contribute to organised crime but it is still wrong.
Oh don't get me wrong, it's still copyright infringement (it's not theft, but that's a debate I really don't want to get into) my point though is going on about how it funds crime is just wrong, as the way the majority of people get their stuff involves no money at all, and so people will just ignore the issue as it doesn't apply to the copyright infringement they do.

Plus, even though what they do is illegal you have to admit that the release scene is the greatest content delivery network around, 10mins after a tv show stops airing it's available for download, it takes the bbc hours to get stuff on iplayer!
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2009, 18:32   #302
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Guys, filesharing is copyright infringment, where as dodgy boxes is theft of services (can't find the link atm but I have posted the relevant ACT in the forum before)

So lets please stick on topic and leave copyright issues to another thread
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 20:26   #303
tony_i
Inactive

tony_i is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadge101 View Post
I went to Tesco this week and spent £130 on a load of food, two CDs and a Wii game. Oh, and some cheap clothes as I am on the dole and my redundancy money is running out.
Let's get this right. You've got "XLTV, phone, 20Mbs BB, premium channels, V+", you've just spent £130 on a load of food, two CDs and a Wii game, and I'm paying your dole money.

Scrounging thief.
tony_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 20:28   #304
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_i View Post
Let's get this right. You've got "XLTV, phone, 20Mbs BB, premium channels, V+", you've just spent £130 on a load of food, two CDs and a Wii game, and I'm paying your dole money.

Scrounging thief.
Any further off topic posts like this (and any responses to it) will be dealt with by the CF team.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:07   #305
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

It is being looked at and stuff is in the pipeline They are about to trial it
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:09   #306
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedkelly View Post
It is being looked at and stuff is in the pipeline They are about to trial it
Really, so all they have to do is push a button and bam that's all boxes dead? If so then do it do it do it.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:23   #307
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Talking Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

wish it was that easy But it is good
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:44   #308
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
I'd hope so, will we have to all have new viewing cards though like on sky?
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 23:34   #309
zing_deleted

Quote:
Query which is worse for the network modified/3rd party boxes or cloned modems?
Old 03-08-2009, 00:15   #310
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Query which is worse for the network modified/3rd party boxes or cloned modems?
Cloned modems.

3rd party boxes don't utilise any resources, there's a small chance of them providing interference, but with a properly modified box it's non existant, they just decode a signal that's already being sent down the cable, whereas cloned modem take downstream and upstream bandwidth away from legitimate customers
Old 03-08-2009, 00:18   #311
zing_deleted

I already thought that myself and find it mental that more appears (to me anyway) to be spent on messing with the dodgy tv boxes

Ive been offered cloned modems by 2 totally different people this last couple of week but aint interested
Old 03-08-2009, 00:25   #312
TheDon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I already thought that myself and find it mental that more appears (to me anyway) to be spent on messing with the dodgy tv boxes

Ive been offered cloned modems by 2 totally different people this last couple of week but aint interested
What's worse for the network, and what loses them more money, are two different things though. They're going to go after the thing that's hitting their bottom line more rather than what is causing the biggest disruption to the network.
Old 03-08-2009, 00:31   #313
zing_deleted

They got no reason to assume they would get enough paying customers to cover the cost though
Old 03-08-2009, 11:02   #314
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

I hope all those dodgy boxes get fried! lol
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 16:24   #315
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Virgin are finally doing something? Are they updating the systems software or just rolling the keys again?
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote