Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 30-11-2008, 00:23   #136
homealone

Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Another member for my ignore list - why do they bother???
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2008, 00:23   #137
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcard_4 View Post
Good point Fugazi raised, VM can also learn a thing or two from ppl doing this sort of things, I know quite a few ways how vm can secure there existing system, but it's all about money.

I don;t class this as theiving, if something is in your house in this case a cable connection you got the right to do what ever you want regardless.

A theif is someone who breaks into your own house, steals things and then batty rapes you.

that is utter tosh and its also thief i before e except after c

it does not matter if you class it as thieving. The law is above you and that decides not you
Old 30-11-2008, 00:28   #138
funcard_4
Inactive

funcard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
that is utter tosh and its also thief i before e except after c

it does not matter if you class it as thieving. The law is above you and that decides not you
the law in this country is out dated and quite frankly a load of old tosh. All this country is worried about is draining money out of you left right and centre. The tax man is the thief m8 not me.
funcard_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 00:29   #139
zing_deleted

it is still the law rightly or wrongly
Old 30-11-2008, 00:37   #140
Enuff

It's ntl/virgins' fault for not being able to secure their product.
Old 30-11-2008, 00:44   #141
zing_deleted

so if I am pickpocketed its my fault for not having my wallet in my hand? its the shopkeepers fault for not having a mars bar locked away? Enuff we all have free will we choose if we are going to do good or do bad. Each and everyone of us makes the choice. Why lie about it and say its not theft? why try to make out the perpetrators are innocent they are not? It makes no difference to me if someone steals cable honestly I do not care I got more important things in my life going on. These guys are just peeing on my shoes and saying its raining
Old 30-11-2008, 00:48   #142
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff View Post
Oh no not that hoary old chestnut...

So unless something is locked away it is fair game for anyone to just take it..EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT THEIR PROPERTY.

Sorry that doesn't carry any weight.If you haven't purchased or inherited something it not yours to just take just because you want it.
Old 30-11-2008, 00:53   #143
funcard_4
Inactive

funcard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
it is true, however, some ppl do take the **** and are greedy, VM only loses money when ppl with chipped boxes order ppv , and it gets billed to the person who was assigned with that set top box. These are the people who are theives because vm end paying for films which are booked but not paid for as VOD is controlled by a different company so I have heard.

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:51 ----------

Quote:
so if I am pickpocketed its my fault for not having my wallet in my hand? its the shopkeepers fault for not having a mars bar locked away? Enuff we all have free will we choose if we are going to do good or do bad. Each and everyone of us makes the choice. Why lie about it and say its not theft? why try to make out the perpetrators are innocent they are not? It makes no difference to me if someone steals cable honestly I do not care I got more important things in my life going on. These guys are just peeing on my shoes and saying its raining
what would you do, if you found a £20 note would you keep it or hand it in?
Old 30-11-2008, 00:59   #144
zing_deleted

Honestly I would pocket it but you will not see me anywhere on this forum profess to be sweetness and light.If I saw the person drop it I would tell them though

You do not find the cable tv signal (you see I know whats coming next ) you actively purchase steal or otherhow obtain equipment capable of decrypting a signal. You see you decrypt so you change the state in which you "find" it so I am sorry but your analogy falls at the first hurdle
Old 30-11-2008, 01:03   #145
Enuff

Quote:
I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, someone takes it.
I get another bike, I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, someone takes it. Again I have to get another bike. I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, someone takes it.

I get another... I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, but this time I use a good lock and chain to secure it to a lamp post, no [removed] takes it. Lesson learned.

ntl/vm fail to secure their bike to the post over and over again! Knowing full well that someone will, given half a chance, take it. And they still fail to get a good lock and chain! No lesson learned.

[do not bypass the swear filter]
Old 30-11-2008, 01:10   #146
funcard_4
Inactive

Quote:
Honestly I would pocket it but you will not see me anywhere on this forum profess to be sweetness and light.If I saw the person drop it I would tell them though

You do not find the cable tv signal (you see I know whats coming next ) you actively purchase steal or otherhow obtain equipment capable of decrypting a signal. You see you decrypt so you change the state in which you "find" it so I am sorry but your analogy falls at the first hurdle
i thought it's the law you have to hand it in to the police station and if its not claimed in 3 mths then it becomes yours, if you pocket it then its theft. We all steal something one way or another.

However i do purchase the signal , i actually pay £25 a mth for phone,tv, bb, so I am not stealing the signal, its not that im not paying anything to vm.

anyway i only watch tv 3-2 hrs a day if that mostly im on the net or out. TV is there for the footy.
Old 30-11-2008, 01:10   #147
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
I get another bike, I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, someone takes it. Again I have to get another bike. I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, someone takes it.

I get another... I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, but this time I use a good lock and chain to secure it to a lamp post, no ****er takes it. Lesson learned.

ntl/vm fail to secure their bike to the post over and over again! Knowing full well that someone will, given half a chance, take it. And they still fail to get a good lock and chain! No lesson learned.
However it's cannot be claimed by those that steal the bike that it isn't stealing because you didn't lock your bike up...it is not an excuse.A reason yes albeit a crappy one but not an excuse.Stealing is stealing especially when you do NOT have permission to take something.
Old 30-11-2008, 01:13   #148
zing_deleted

Quote:

I get another... I go to the shop on my bike, I leave it outside the shop, but this time I use a good lock and chain to secure it to a lamp post, no ****er takes it. Lesson learned.

you would get someone come over with something to cut it and nick it (analogy to go with decryption hacks) and where you go next is you buy a bigger lock and then Ill come back with ill nick some professional cutters off the fire brigade and cut resulting in still stealing your bike.

The encryption is code. No matter what code or whatever is in place someone will be clever enough to crack it. Look at securom 3? how long did it take to crack but it still was

---------- Post added at 01:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 ----------

Quote:
i thought it's the law you have to hand it in to the police station and if its not claimed in 3 mths then it becomes yours, if you pocket it then its theft. We all steal something one way or another.

However i do purchase the signal , i actually pay £25 a mth for phone,tv, bb, so I am not stealing the signal, its not that im not paying anything to vm.

anyway i only watch tv 3-2 hrs a day if that mostly im on the net or out. TV is there for the footy.
as I said I hold my hands up and do not try to feed the bull.
Old 30-11-2008, 01:14   #149
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

However i do purchase the signal , i actually pay £25 a mth for phone,tv, bb, so I am stealing the signal, its not that im not paying anything to vm.

It does not matter that you pay only for part of what you receive.If you take more than you are paying for it is still stealing.You do not have permission to have more than you have agreed to pay for.
Old 30-11-2008, 01:15   #150
funcard_4
Inactive

Quote:

LOL that is true, at then end of the day if vm cared so much they would have stopped this along time ago, but quite frankly they dnt care at the moment, they will in a few years when the HD channels starts rolling out fully.