Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin and sitecom

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin and sitecom

Old 27-09-2007, 15:27   #1
ahaines01
Inactive

ahaines01 is an unknown quantity at this point
virgin and sitecom

Hi guys and girls,

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me but....

I've just moved and got virgin broadband and a sitecom router. I can connect to the internet via the modem and router when wired in, but not when wireless.

I followed the instructions to the word upto the point where asked to choose between NTL(cable) and BT(asdl) - i chose cable but does this mean the router is incompatible with virgin as it only offers these 2 ISP's? The guy in Maplin told me it would be compatible. I then was asked to put in a hostname (rang virgin they had no idea, and the engineer who installed didnt give me any details) and clone the Mac address. So i left the hostname empty and cloned it.

I was then told to click the reboot option - yet there is no reboot button on the screen, so i did it manually with a pencil to no avail...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ahaines01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2007, 15:32   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: virgin and sitecom

to Cable Forum

If you rebooted the router using a pencil, presumably that is the reset button on the router, in which case all your cloned stuff and other settings you just entered probably got erased.

Virgin Media is just the new name for NTL. As far as your router is concered it will be the same thing.

If you had an internet connection using ethernet between your modem <> router <> PC then you know that the router setup works OK with Virgin Media. You then should only have to mess about with the wireless settings, don't change anything to do with the WAN (internet) side of the router once you have that initial connection up and running.

Make sure the wireless setting issues are with your router, not the computer, i.e. your computer's wireless card is operating correctly.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 15:49   #3
ahaines01
Inactive

Cheers, i know its not my laptops wireless (ive tried my 5 flatmates too!) because we can pick up other networks. So it's obviously me doing something wrong.

What settings on the router would you suggest changing? I think not having anything in the hostname has got to be wrong, does anyone know if there is a standard Virgin media hostname? I am guessing thats what its asking for - not a name for the network like "my wireless network". The woman on the phone had no idea - saying that her english was not amazing.

I am usually ok with a pc...can format and do simple stuff like that but this is killing me..!
Old 27-09-2007, 15:54   #4
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaines01 View Post
Hi guys and girls,

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me but....

I've just moved and got virgin broadband and a sitecom router. I can connect to the internet via the modem and router when wired in, but not when wireless.

I followed the instructions to the word upto the point where asked to choose between NTL(cable) and BT(asdl) - i chose cable but does this mean the router is incompatible with virgin as it only offers these 2 ISP's? The guy in Maplin told me it would be compatible. I then was asked to put in a hostname (rang virgin they had no idea, and the engineer who installed didnt give me any details) and clone the Mac address. So i left the hostname empty and cloned it.

I was then told to click the reboot option - yet there is no reboot button on the screen, so i did it manually with a pencil to no avail...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How about mentioning the model or provide links to exactly what you have.

Some wireless routers need to be manually enabled in the options in the configuration page.

Reboot means turning off the modem and router and wait two minutes then turn back on.

Holla back

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

You don't need a host name or a domain name - is it on Automatic configuration (DHCP) Any settings you change, then the router needs to be rebooted. You don't need to clone anything either.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 16:44   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You'll find that Virgin Media support staff can't help with routers - there are just too many of them to be sure of all that is involved.

By hostname, do you mean network name for the router, if so yes that should normally have something in there, you can use anything that you like to identify the router network to you, i.e. "sitecom"
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 17:02   #6
ahaines01
Inactive

cheers for the help, finally sorted it. The quick setup (A3) was different to the 150 odd page setup - not conflicting as such... just different method which is really annoying.

For anyone who encounters the same problem - didnt enter anything in the hostname box and didnt clone the mac address like the quick setup said to.

thanks again for comments
Old 15-10-2007, 14:18   #7
doubtingthomas
Inactive

doubtingthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Can you tell me what you put in the MAC address feild, did you leave it blank or use the router, or modem MAC address?

Thanks
doubtingthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 14:38   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You don't need to do anything with the MAC Address field, just leave it default
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote