Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Email Tracking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Email Tracking

Old 18-03-2015, 14:47   #61
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Email Tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittmann View Post
Hugh, for Heavens sake, do you not understand the first principles of tracking anything ? Do the military have to request the permission of their radar target before they carry on ? Come off it Hugh, let us consider the real world.
Glad you admitted it was a desperate example because there are strict rules over who can fly over UK airspace and, I suspect that flying in UK airspace is considered to be legal consent to be tracked on Radar. It's certainly more important to the country that our military be able to track potential threats in our airspace than your ability to see whether someone has read an email you sent.

Quote:
To have a tracking system whereby the recipient can cancel the return notification is so ridiculously crazy that the very suggestion becomes nothing more than a joke.
So, it's crazy to think that people, given the choice, may not mind being tracked? After all, it's fairly well known how much Google, Facebook et al. track us, but a lot of people are happy to use their services knowing that.

Personally, I do not mind people being tracked. I just ask that consent is obtained (and not assumed) before the tracking begins. As such, people opt in to be tracked, not be tracked then opt out. I have pointed out, however, how tracking may not be accurate (and if it's not accurate, I don't see the point of it).

Quote:
Final word. I will respond to sensible posts but not to this continual conflict of personal morality vs. tracking, which destroys the very concept of communications technological improvement and results in nothing more than an incidental squabble.

That is it Hugh, over and out.
How does a "continual conflict of personal morality vs. tracking" "destroy the very concept of communications technological improvement"? Ever major advance in communications and technology (from the invention of the post office, through the invention of the telephone to the latest and greatest internet communication systems has taken place *without* tracking being a major component.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2015, 14:48   #62
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is it your honours degree that has made you such a fine judge of character, or your distinguished career in engineering? Or perhaps it's your decade of experience of Internet forums?
I think you'll find it's his distinctioned degree and his honours career in engineering.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:14   #63
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Old 25-03-2015, 15:40   #64
Wittmann

Services: Kahuna TiVo Big Bundle.

A resounding success for Bananatag Email tracking is described in this customer report :-

http://blog.bananatag.com/2015/03/11...f20cb-64164685

And that demonstrates the commercial advantage of Email tracking.
Old 25-03-2015, 15:42   #65
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

And this supports your (non-commercial) case for getting read receipts without the recipient's permission how?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 15:46   #66
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
A resounding success for Bananatag Email tracking is described in this customer report :-

http://blog.bananatag.com/2015/03/11...f20cb-64164685

And that demonstrates the commercial advantage of Email tracking.
I presume you don't do anything illegal in your front room.

So would you be ok if I stood at your window, looking inside when your curtains are open?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 17:17   #67
Wittmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

So would you be ok if I stood at your window, looking inside when your curtains are open?
The sales people in the blog would not agree with your rather unrelated comment. They went WHOOPEE for tracking and so do I. Great innovation and enhancement to communications technology.
Old 25-03-2015, 17:44   #68
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Great unsolicited invasion of people's privacy - whoopee indeed.

I hope you have no objection to people standing outside your house, videoing your every movement (and using infra-red for when you close your curtains), and then posting it on YouTube.

Great innovation and advancement for entertainment technology.....
Old 25-03-2015, 17:50   #69
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If websites in the UK (and Europe) are now obliged to advise you, and gain consent that they have cookies that amongst other things are tracking you, i.e. potentially invasive of privacy, then similar tracking systems embedded into emails should also require opt in consent. The problem is simply that tech is moving the goal posts so fast that the legislators cannot keep pace.

I thank you for that recent article link as it in turn has prompted me to realise that the majority of these unsolicited spam mail systems are in turn tracking me, without my knowledge or consent, and worse, by clicking the un-subscribe options I'm giving them even more data.

I have enough problems with phishing and scam mails that to now know that these are likely to be tracking me has motivated me to do everything I reasonably can to block tracking on behalf of both myself and my work colleagues.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 18:03   #70
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

People may find this article of interest, especially regarding openness, transparency, opting-in, and actively informing recipients about the tracking that is happening.

http://www.smartinsights.com/marketp...open-tracking/

If the email trackers having nothing to hide, why not let the recipient know they've been tracked?
Old 25-03-2015, 18:20   #71
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

All you'd see is the OP banging on his aged Goodmans TV and cursing his Tivo...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 18:26   #72
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

https://www.cite.co.uk/how-the-eu-co...ail-marketing/

Quote:
How the EU Cookie Law Will Affect Email Marketing

The main focus of the regulations are targeted at websites and how they use on-site advertising, analytics, and other stored traffic information, but since email marketing uses open tracking systems to monitor the engagement of recipients (for example, who opened it, what links they’ve clicked, etc), email marketers must now gain consent to track recipients’ information.

While we can’t give legal guidance on what you have to do to follow the new regulations and protect your campaign, here are a few key points to keep in mind:

Get consent before tracking and monitoring email engagement. This applies to new subscribers as well as those currently on your database.

• Include a message on your sign up form stating that you will be tracking engagement with your emails. For example “Sign up to our monthly newsletter to get the latest information on our company. Signing up also means you’ll allow us to track and monitor the emails we send to you so we can improve our communication with you.”

• To get permission from your current recipients, make consent the call of action on your next email. Keep this message above the fold and include it in an image as well as part of the text.

• If you are using a “soft opt in,” meaning you don’t ask for consent at the point of capturing an email address, follow up with an email asking permission to track user engagement.

• Include a Privacy Policy that informs people on what tracking you will be carrying out, why you use it and how it will affect your recipients.
Old 25-03-2015, 18:55   #73
Wittmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Great unsolicited invasion of people's privacy - whoopee indeed.

I hope you have no objection to people standing outside your house, videoing your every movement (and using infra-red for when you close your curtains), and then posting it on YouTube.

Great innovation and advancement for entertainment technology.....
Hugh,
Your examples of illegal activities quoted against a perfectly legal activity is astonishing.
Old 25-03-2015, 19:03   #74
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I am finished with this thread.
There is nothing you can say or do that will alter the widespread practice of Email tracking one iota. Enjoy your day. I have unsubscribed from this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I bet you keep looking.
Ta-dah.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 19:16   #75
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Hugh,
Your examples of illegal activities quoted against a perfectly legal activity is astonishing.
A) can you show me where it states it is illegal to stand outside your house filming?

B) Are you gaining consent for your email receipt requests, as stated under the PECR?