Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | OFCOM Speed report

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

OFCOM Speed report

Old 16-04-2014, 17:26   #16
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: OFCOM Speed report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
For the majority of homes I still think 20Mbits is more than enough. Even busy family homes don't really need faster than 30 or so at this moment in time when you consider that would handle a family of 6 all browsing, gaming and streaming a video each all at the same time.
I use 120 meg because it costs me next to nothing

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2014, 18:05   #17
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I use 120 meg because it costs me next to nothing
Can l have some of that.
Old 16-04-2014, 18:24   #18
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Can l have some of that.
Just get a job with VM

Old 16-04-2014, 20:12   #19
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Just get a job with VM
and live in a cabled area
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 20:14   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Interesting to see that Virgin Media are the only ones who have a significant percentage drop in speed in the evenings between 8pm and 10pm. Even the adsl suppliers seem to have an insignificant change from the average 24 hour or maximum speeds. I thought all the upgrade work VM was supposed to be doing was going to do away with evening congestion?
That's been the case for many years now...

I haven't looked at this report in detail yet but the last one did show VM's drops getting less severe over the last few years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Really?

VM 120 drops to 106, and FTTC 76 drops to 61.

That works out to -
VM drop of 13%
FTTC drop of 20%
VM 120 drops from an average of 113.2-116.7 to 106.1-111.5, a drop of 5-7%

FTTC 76 drops from an average of 61.6-68.0 to 60.8-67.2, a drop of 1.0-1.0%.

Incidentally, it remains, as I pointed out last year, that VM 30Mb is slower than FTTC 38Mb, as is VM60 vs FTTC 76, despite VM having originally positioned and claimed both to be faster. I'm guessing the uplift to 50/100 was to fix that mistake...

Disappointingly, VM 120 is still only averaging around 85-88% of it's provisioned speed, though FTTC seems to be getting worse - or just more variable - my own recent congestion issues on BT FTTC being a great example...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 20:46   #21
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So if FTTC is sold as 76, but only provides 65 on average, that makes it better than something that is sold as 120, but provides 115 on average?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 15:57   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I never said anything about marketed speeds, what it's "sold as", or which is "better", nor do I care.

Only from a technical point of view, something that's provisioned at 77.43Mbps vs. something provisioned at 133Mbps. We were talking about the effects of congestion after all, and congestion is a function of the underlying technology, not a function of what marketing choose to call something... You have to look at the underlying sync and payload rates to get any meaningful comparison.

As an example, is a service that runs at 10Mbps and drops to 5Mbps at peak times, averaging 7.5Mbps more congested than one that runs at 20Mbps and drops to 1Mbps, averaging 11Mbps? Is it "better"? What if the first was marketed as Upto 20Mb and the second was marketed as Up to 10Mb? Cause that's what you're asking. And frankly, answering a question like that is a minefield.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 23:14   #23
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But wait old bean the doomsayers will be out in force later today one imagines.
No offence Denphone but you constantly make comments like this and I feel they're quite often responsible for the thread ending up the way this one has.

You also are the biggest "doomsayer" in every Sky thread. I think it's time you stopped now and you should grow up! Be positive and others will follow.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Quote:
So if FTTC is sold as 76, but only provides 65 on average, that makes it better than something that is sold as 120, but provides 115 on average?
Does anyone give a poop anymore? 30Mb is enough for 80% of people and the ISP's know it. Virginmedia sell 152mb but if all the customers used the full 152mb between 11am and 11pm the network would crumble.

On the other hand BT/Sky ect sell up to 76mb and a lot only get around 50mb. But the network could handle all customers using their connection between 11am-11pm.

Truth is networks only offer 50mb+ speeds because they can price them higher.

Sky and Talktalk are now about to launch a 1Gb FTTH connection in york, no one needs it. But they will be able to say they have the fastest connection when compared to VM.
Old 18-04-2014, 11:36   #24
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I always said I was an above average kind of guy

muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 17:47   #25
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Mines not to bad on Infinity either.

Old 23-04-2014, 18:54   #26
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Mine does what i want it to which is download via the newsgroups quickly, Was streaming top gear in HD on netflicks whilst i did that test

Old 23-04-2014, 19:46   #27
Bogof

My Virginmedia connection its supercharged upto 50Mb, its good for downloading but god awful for gaming/Skype/ and the like.

Old 23-04-2014, 20:59   #28
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
My Virginmedia connection its supercharged upto 50Mb, its good for downloading but god awful for gaming/Skype/ and the like.

Sorry to burst your bubble but your download is pretty poor.

I've been supercharged also and get the full 54Mb, even wirelessly.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/829992982
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 21:39   #29
Bogof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but your download is pretty poor.

I've been supercharged also and get the full 54Mb, even wirelessly.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/829992982
I agree my virginmedia download speed is quite poor. But scroll up an see my my infinity speedtest. An sorry to burst your bubble but your upload is very poor and your ping is dreadful.
Old 23-04-2014, 21:55   #30
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
I agree my virginmedia download speed is quite poor. But scroll up an see my my infinity speedtest. An sorry to burst your bubble but your upload is very poor and your ping is dreadful.
Sorry but I was not comparing Virgin Media with BT. Simply saying that your Virgin Media download is short of what it should be.

Reference upload, even 3Mb is too much for me as I rarely do any.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote