Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 25-11-2016, 18:49   #1396
Jedi 123
Inactive

Jedi 123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Well if that is the case I reckon a lot of long standing customers like myself will be pretty fed up as we have had to endure the old technology really slow TiVo box for the last couple of years ,if I was out of contract I would be taking up one of sky deals on the sky q box .If wasn't for the fact sky fibre broadband isn't available in my area until March next year I would buy myself out , being a virgin customer since they went digital and on the VIP contract I am pretty disgusted if I don't get a new box before Xmas .
Jedi 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2016, 21:35   #1397
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi 123 View Post
Well if that is the case I reckon a lot of long standing customers like myself will be pretty fed up as we have had to endure the old technology really slow TiVo box for the last couple of years ,if I was out of contract I would be taking up one of sky deals on the sky q box .If wasn't for the fact sky fibre broadband isn't available in my area until March next year I would buy myself out , being a virgin customer since they went digital and on the VIP contract I am pretty disgusted if I don't get a new box before Xmas .
Well, be careful. Take a look at the problems some Sky Q users are having.

This technology is fairly cutting edge and things aren't running smoothly!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:32   #1398
Jedi 123
Inactive

Jedi 123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know sky q is not running smoothly but neither is v6 , but I feel Virgin should still give long standing and sufffering TiVo customers a v6 box as the current TiVo box is barely fit for purpose and I am paying them over £100 a month for a good broadband service but a really outdated slow tv service which hasn't been changed for years and has constant price increases . Don't get me wrong I have been a fan of virgin media but if they continue to show distain for loyal customers in favour of new customers I feel I will have to look at my options especially as sky are always doing offers to get virgin customers to join them ,and many have already left to join sky . It would pain me to leave but virgin have shown at this moment in time they are not showing any loyalty so why should I . They used to be really good to loyal customers ,I was one who got given the TiVo box free when it first came out and they way launched it was really great but the box is now very long in the tooth, I hope they have got there act together now .
Jedi 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:08   #1399
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Where are you getting your assertion that V6 is not running smoothly from?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:14   #1400
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Speculated hearsay one imagines...
Old 26-11-2016, 09:36   #1401
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi 123 View Post
I know sky q is not running smoothly but neither is v6 , but I feel Virgin should still give long standing and sufffering TiVo customers a v6 box as the current TiVo box is barely fit for purpose and I am paying them over £100 a month for a good broadband service but a really outdated slow tv service which hasn't been changed for years and has constant price increases . Don't get me wrong I have been a fan of virgin media but if they continue to show distain for loyal customers in favour of new customers I feel I will have to look at my options especially as sky are always doing offers to get virgin customers to join them ,and many have already left to join sky . It would pain me to leave but virgin have shown at this moment in time they are not showing any loyalty so why should I . They used to be really good to loyal customers ,I was one who got given the TiVo box free when it first came out and they way launched it was really great but the box is now very long in the tooth, I hope they have got there act together now .
Well, I told them to get their act together or they would be dumped after 15/16 years when they had the cheek to try and put the price up.

Retentions just effectively shrugged their shoulders, so I escelated the matter and received a V6 along with a backdated price decrease.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:07   #1402
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, be careful. Take a look at the problems some Sky Q users are having.

This technology is fairly cutting edge and things aren't running smoothly!
Let's see how many problems rear their head when the V6 is in as many homes as Sky Q.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:16   #1403
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Let's see how many problems rear their head when the V6 is in as many homes as Sky Q.
Well, I've faced some problems with the V6, but to be fair there's no been no evidence thus far to suggest that it's affecting anyone else and it may be my WiFi connection.
Old 26-11-2016, 10:19   #1404
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Personally l think Sky rushed the release of the Sky Q as IMO its better to hold things back 6 to 12 months if needs must to iron the bugs out.
Old 26-11-2016, 10:26   #1405
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

VM still have issues with the current Tivo tell me a product what's launched bug free?

Going back to Sky+HD I never had one single build delivered that didn't have reported issues.

Both next gen boxes will use wifi , ethernet or powerline to stream recordings which in large homes can be problematic.

Last edited by muppetman11; 26-11-2016 at 10:33.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:32   #1406
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
VM still have issues with the current Tivo tell me a product what's launched bug free?

Going back to Sky+HD I never had one single build delivered that didn't have reported issues.

Both next gen boxes will use wifi , ethernet or powerline which in large homes can be problematic.
It turns out that the issue with the picture intermittently going on & off is a known issue with some V6/TV combinations and a software update is being worked on.
Old 26-11-2016, 12:42   #1407
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
There are bound to be some issues - it would be a miracle if there were not.

My point was not to rubbishbSky Q but to point out that Sky had technical problems as well as Virgin Media.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 15:46   #1408
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Does the V6 have a dynamic EPG like just about every other modern set top box?
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 15:51   #1409
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Does the V6 have a dynamic EPG like just about every other modern set top box?
No and it never will while it is running TiVo software.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 16:03   #1410
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

For some people a dynamic EPG is preferable to Tivo software. Personally I just want a box that RELIABLY records programmes every time even when the schedules change at the last moment. Regrettably the current Tivo cannot be relied upon to do this. My Freeview Humax seems to manage to do this.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote