Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help configure my modem.router to work as an access point!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help configure my modem.router to work as an access point!

Old 19-08-2009, 14:53   #1
lewismc
Inactive

lewismc is an unknown quantity at this point
Help configure my modem.router to work as an access point!

I have virgin broadband and a Belkin Wireless G Modem Router F5d7232-4.
I recently had this configured as a wireless access point - as this was the only way I could get wireless internet to work. I updated the firmware and restored factory defaults on the modem/router and now cannot find how to configure the modem/router to work as an access point!

Can anyone help?

I believe using it as an access point is the only way to get this product to work with the virgin modem - if this is not the case I would love to know how to get it to work as proper wireless router so I can have mutliple connects!

Thanks
lewismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2009, 15:11   #2
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts
Re: Help configure my modem.router to work as an access point!

default mode usually is access point isn't it. Anyone else here have a Belkin router. I only have a cheap one
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 15:24   #3
lewismc
Inactive

No - not on this product at least (to the best of my knowledge) - I disabled DHCP, as I thought this was what was required but now cannot connect to the router admin panel.

Additional Info:
virgin broadband (via coaxial) to virgin modem via ethernet cable to Belkin modem/router port not the adsl line. DHCP turned off. The one thing I am unsure of is what option to choose on PPPoA/PPPoE/Dynamic etc?

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:26   #4
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Reset the router by holding the reset button for 30 seconds, then power off with it still held down, wait 5 seconds, power up with it still held down and after 10 seconds release. Everything should be defaulted and it should just "work" how it is without any intervention.

After this, setup wireless security. DHCP is required to get an IP from the router unless you set one manually on each PC that connects.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:15   #5
lewismc
Inactive

I appreciate all your help but I don't know if the point is being missed. As my blekin modem/router is adsl I cannot bypass my virgin modem (coaxial). I have to use my router as a single 'wireless' connection from my virgin modem to my PC - not as a wireless router as it is intended (i.e. multiple access/traditional worless access point). I had been informed this can be done by turning DHCP off. The modem is connected to the router via a cable to one of the output ports and not the adsl in port. This in theory should just extend my virgin modem to work wirelessly. The router is unable to be configured to work as a wireless router using my cabloe broadband.

Does that make sense to anyone? I have done this before - am just struggling to recreate following factory reset!
Old 19-08-2009, 16:15   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If the router is set to defaults dhcp should be on, make sure that the PC rebooted after the router is turned on has the NIC aquiring the ip addres on AUTO. This should then get at least a wired connection.

You may need to check the routers documentation as to how the wireless is configured at default and also if it has a pairing function. Just that it might need a certain security protocol with a default passphrase (like in a WEP, WPA, WEP2...etc..)

[edit]As the router is ADSL (which you didn;t say originally and the model number you gave comes back to an ethernet router not an ADSL router) you can only use it as a wireless access point...but only in conjunction with another router, otherwise only one device can use the modem. In that case you'll need to turn off DHCP & NAT and specify the gateway/DNS of the other router (or it might even let you DHCP via the other router...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:18   #7
lewismc
Inactive

The defaults give me wired internet on my pc but not my laptop, DHCP is on at default. The wireless connect will not work via the default settings.
Old 19-08-2009, 16:26   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

As I said it'll only allow one device to connect via the modem in a NON router mode (i.e..it'll work as a hub with dhcp and NAT turned off). You need a proper ethernet router if you have more than one device connected.

There is a slight possibility that if you unplug ALL of the wired connections apart from the modem that a single wireless device will work..but you will need to reboot the modem everytime a change is made..
Old 19-08-2009, 16:58   #9
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

Hey i have an idea. buy a cable wireless router, they are cheap enough? I can see why you dont want to but why make the extra hassle for yourself?
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:11   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Yep, brought my factory refubished Netgear wgt624 off ebay for £21 delivered.. Latest version and has worked flawlessly ever since
Old 19-08-2009, 18:54   #11
lewismc
Inactive

Hi Folks,

Okay my model number was wrong - so sorry to that person! it was f5d7632-4.
Yep turning DHCP off worked - for those who are in a similar situation. I didnt need to tell it any I.P addresses. I set it to dynamic - so maybe that does it?
Anyway thanks again - I realise that buying a proper cable wireless router is an option for most - but I was strapped and virgin were demanding £40 for theirs - so jumping on the forums to get a fix seemed more like sticking it to the man.

However in summary - virgin cable modem linked by ethernet into an ethernet outport in the modem/router, setting up wireless security and to dynamic rather than PPPoA etc ( think in LAN settings) via the modem/router control panel and finally turning DCHP OFF - finally gave me the SINGLE wireless broadband connection!
Thanks for everyones input!
Old 13-09-2009, 13:30   #12
kshah101
Inactive

kshah101 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i have a slightly different problem! i have the same router f5d7632-4 and my university halls give me only 1 ethernet port(inthe wall) to connect only 1 laptop! so i was wondering if i could use this router(to make into an access point maybe) and get to use it with a wired(computer) and wireless(skype phone),any help is greatly appreciated
kshah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 15:13   #13
lewismc
Inactive

My only experience is that if you use it as an access point like i did - you are only making your single ethernet connection a single wireless ethernet connection - so you can only connect one device at a time. You would need to follow the steps above to achieve this.