Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Job stuck in printer queue.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Copying a dvd

Old 08-10-2009, 16:35   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Copying a dvd

I need to know how to make a copy of a dvd using my lappy. Firstly I have permission to make a copy for my own use. So how do I copy it on to my HD then back on to a blank dvd?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2009, 16:42   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Copying a dvd

I presume it's not a protected disk...

If not just copy the two folders (some might only have one videots folder) onto the laptop then use a burning util (nero..DVD Santa..etc...) to copy them back to a DVD using a DVD standard.

BTW, this method will not work with protected disks
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 17:11   #3
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I'll give it a try - I doubt it's protected, it looks like the production copy, with a 'test card' screen at the start.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Cheers Kymbo - thing is though WMP11 won't play it. It sets up as if it's going to play but on the bottom left, usually where the dvd title is it just alternates between sating 'title 1' and 'chapter 1'. I'd rather not use VLC, any ideas how I can get it playing?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-10-2009, 18:28   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

What did you use to burn it back onto a disc with? Did it allow you to set it up as a DVD-video and not a data disk??
Old 08-10-2009, 18:31   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

DVD Santa

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-10-2009, 18:33   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

You can right click on DVD Santa to create an ISO image of the disk, then use thier DISK IMAGE burn option to create the new disk
Old 08-10-2009, 18:40   #7
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I just tried that - when I select the TS file I saved to my HD and click on Create ISO Disc Image it can'r find anything in the TS file to burn.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-10-2009, 19:00   #8
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

TS? That's a broadcast transport stream. Was the original disc is a proper DVD, not just a data DVD with the TS file on it?

MPEG Streamclip should be able to export it to a standard mpeg video.
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 20:17   #9
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Bit of old hat now, but I still like dvd decrypter for ripping discs to the hdd

Edit: totally honest and above board ripping, honest guv

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 20:19   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I used DVD shrink
Old 09-10-2009, 22:45   #11
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

TS = Telesync. Once Burned to a cd its encrypted I believe

Try a DVD ripped

Admin edit - Do not discuss how to remove copy protection please
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 17:35   #12
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Subnote - why do people in the trade insist on calling it copyright THEFT? Theft, by definition is to deprive someone of their property, when you copy a DVD you deprive no-one of their physical property, the original DVD is still there, you haven't STOLEN the copyright, but you HAVE infringed on it by making an unauthorised copy.
Second subnote, why the hell do DVD producers insist you watch a 3-4 minute annoying video about not copying DVDs on a DVD you bought? I paid for the DVD, why the hell would I want to watch a video telling me how bad copying DVDs is for the industry on a DVD I actually paid for?
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 17:40   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
TS = Telesync. Once Burned to a cd its encrypted I believe

Try a DVD ripped

Admin edit - Do not discuss how to remove copy protection please
Telesync is nothing to do with the way the file is on the DVD, instead telesync is where a video is made up from differing audio and video sources.

In this case is the dvd file a .TS file extension then it's more than likely to be a transport stream (mpeg2) file..
Old 11-10-2009, 21:47   #14
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
Subnote - why do people in the trade insist on calling it copyright THEFT? Theft, by definition is to deprive someone of their property, when you copy a DVD you deprive no-one of their physical property, the original DVD is still there, you haven't STOLEN the copyright, but you HAVE infringed on it by making an unauthorised copy.
Second subnote, why the hell do DVD producers insist you watch a 3-4 minute annoying video about not copying DVDs on a DVD you bought? I paid for the DVD, why the hell would I want to watch a video telling me how bad copying DVDs is for the industry on a DVD I actually paid for?
100% correct but you have to Consider that There Are Many Companies Now actively Searching For People That Do what I originally said in my post. So any Mod Should Remove it to Reduce the Risk of the Site coming Under Inspection

After the Whole Pirate Bay Incident Nothing is Safe
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 21:55   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Guys, this is a thread about copying a non-copyrighted DVD, so please stay on-topic