Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 08-02-2017, 10:22   #2821
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Thanks to all for your reassuring responses. I am anxious to go ahead and sign up but I have one more question if I may.

I have a superhub two in modem only mode and I use a Asus router which gives me excellent (200mb) wifi all over my bungalow. Are there any issues with using my own router? I would be looking at replacing two old tivos with the V6.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2017, 11:17   #2822
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Are there any issues with using my own router?
Hard to say. It works for some people but not for others. If you use the VM DNS servers that's one less hurdle to overcome.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:29   #2823
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

I'm using a Superhub 3 - Think VM sent it to me when they upgraded my broadband to 200meg. The Superhub 3 works perfect for both V6s and all of the other devices that is connected to it.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:32   #2824
gryphon
cf.member

gryphon is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you watch saved shows in My Shows from one of you mobile devices once your main boxes are connected to your network.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37   #2825
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

From a V6 box, yes as long as the content provider allows it.

You can see details on what you can stream and / or download from My Shows here

Recordings on the older TiVo boxes can't be streamed or downloaded to the app, only to another TiVo or V6 box.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:04   #2826
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You can see details on what you can stream and / or download from My Shows here
"None", "Loads" or "Almost all"? That's quite a bizarre way of showing availability. I haven't a need for the download service to tablet but it seems to be extremely limited. Fortunately, the download capabilities of iPlayer and 4OD have been sufficient for me when I'm travelling.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:30   #2827
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The issue is that even if the channel itself is on the list, then the actual availability for either streaming or downloading can vary between show to show.

There isn't anyway of listing every single show available on every single channel and it stay up to date.
Old 08-02-2017, 13:37   #2828
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Had a V6 installed and my old TiVo moved to a bedroom yesterday. I must say I'm very impressed with the speed, such a difference compared to the original.

Both are networked via ethernet and multi room streaming works flawlessly.

There were some hiccups however;

Apparently activations were down yesterday so the engineer had to leave without a fully working V6, only had the first 5 channels, felt like I was in the 90s again. He was only there an hour as the cabling was already in place and I could hardly force him to stay until it was working. He left at 4.30pm and the V6 was finally fully operational at 8.30pm.

Next issue was the menu graphics looked horrible, really blocky but legible. Checked video output settings and only 576i was selected with all the other resolutions saying not supported. Auto detect didn't work and a reboot didn't either. I tried manual test where it flicks through each resolution and you need to press thumbs up if you can see a picture. After this all options were available and sorted out the problem.

I tested iPlayer, lightning quick and finally usable. I also tested you tube by casting a video from my phone and I got no picture but did get sound. Didn't get a chance to look into this properly so was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem?

All in all, a great piece of kit. Well done VM
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 14:30   #2829
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l have just had 2 V6's installed and they are certainly very fast but l am now looking at copying my series links from my old primary box to the main new primary box but in the list there are 3 boxes that are deactivated apart from a whole lot of letters and numbers after each deactivated box it dies not tell me which one was the old primary box so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2017, 14:46   #2830
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

From memory if there is dash in it i.e. DVR-XXXX they are your TV Anywhere devices, rather than actual old boxes.

I think the actual disconnected box won't have a dash in the text
Old 10-02-2017, 14:57   #2831
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

In my list here there is the bedroom TiVo then that is followed by a mixture of letters and numbers totalling 15 each in 3 deactivated boxes then there are 3 DVR-**** Ben.
Old 10-02-2017, 15:07   #2832
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Oh, in that case only other thing I could suggest is that Customer Services may be able to tell what the TiVo Service Number of your old box was, the end of this would correspond to one of entries.
Old 10-02-2017, 19:20   #2833
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Oh, in that case only other thing I could suggest is that Customer Services may be able to tell what the TiVo Service Number of your old box was, the end of this would correspond to one of entries.
Its all sorted out now Ben so thanks for yours and Spiderplant's help as it is greatly welcomed by a idiot like me.
Old 10-02-2017, 22:12   #2834
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Hard to say. It works for some people but not for others. If you use the VM DNS servers that's one less hurdle to overcome.
Right. The server where you get the ip address from is a MAJOR contributing factor in the performance of wi-fi inside your house.

You surpass yourself in finding new ways where anything that goes wrong is nothing to do with VM.
Old 10-02-2017, 22:46   #2835
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Right. The server where you get the ip address from is a MAJOR contributing factor in the performance of wi-fi inside your house.

You surpass yourself in finding new ways where anything that goes wrong is nothing to do with VM.
Who mentioned WiFi performance? Trying a bit too hard to troll
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote