Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

Old 13-08-2007, 15:43   #16
allenkj
Inactive

allenkj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

Sweex technical support's latest idea is "Have you tried to enter a hostname? Some ISP require this field to be filled in. Usually anything will do as long as it's not empty."

I can't check it at the moment because the router is not here.
allenkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2007, 11:04   #17
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
The shop idea didn't quite work out - they checked the router on their system to verify it wasn't faulty. They wouldn't check my laptop, though, saying an engineer would have to come to my flat and that would cost me £40.

As for the other question - I am connected to the router by wire when I ask it to find the dynamic IP address - that's what the manual says I should be doing when setting up the wireless network.
Hmm...I know £40 is not peanuts but if you think they know what they're doing and you only have to pay if they come up with a reasonable solution (e.g. not something like suggesting a complete re-install of your machine and charging lots extra) this may be your best bet. If they are competent this is a much better bet than calling VM's £1/min PC line.

I should declare an interest in that this is how I earn my living but there is sometimes no substitute for having a pro on-site to fix a problem.
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 11:20   #18
allenkj
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenkj View Post
Sweex technical support's latest idea is "Have you tried to enter a hostname? Some ISP require this field to be filled in. Usually anything will do as long as it's not empty."

I can't check it at the moment because the router is not here.
It works. Put something in the host name on WAN setup and suddenly you've got IP addresses and a connection to Virgin.
Old 15-08-2007, 11:43   #19
Michal
Inactive

Michal is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it works for me too.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!
Michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 14:53   #20
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
Yes, it works for me too.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!
Good news! Shame the shop who sold you the router didn't think of that, quite poor!
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 22:01   #21
Jamesito
Inactive

Jamesito is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you're still looking at this thread, but I've run into a similar problem trying to configure the router, albeit with a DSL connection, and there's no place to enter a hostname.

If I try to configure it for PPPoE, only user ID & password, MAC address (here I've tried the network card, router and modem addresses but to no avail) also there's a field for DNS servers. When saving this config I keep getting a 0.0.0.0 WAN IP address

Seems to be the router not recognising the DSL modem, as if I connect directly to the modem I connect to the internet no probs.

Any tips appreciated!
Jamesito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 11:41   #22
allenkj
Inactive

I'm not looking anymore. Once I got it working the wireless reception varied constantly between excellent and none, so I sent it back.
Old 20-09-2007, 12:35   #23
Jamesito
Inactive

Jamesito is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else on this thread manage to get it working hooked up to a DSL modem? Still waiting from Sweex's helpdesk to see if they've got any pointers.

So this router is looking like an expensive beermat at this stage from what little I've been able to find about it on the web. Nothing positive except from the blurb on the box
Jamesito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 15:26   #24
havaj
Inactive

havaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if this has been solved but i've been on it all day nearly ringing VM rip off line, but at last i have managed to get and sustain the internet with full wireless on my pain in the back side lw055, i knew there'd be a catch with it being the cheapest...

how to do it is simple with just the modem plugged in and the internet working go to your network adapters double click on your internet connect go to support click on details and that will give you all the info you need to sort your router out. i suggest you print screen now, and then re plug in your router to you system remembering to let it fully switch on before you plug the modem or pc in might as well let the modem do the same.

once it's all plugged back in load up sweex setup thru internet explorer go to wan setup type Virgin Media in host name use the caps i did put in the info you have from your print screen paste it into paint or similar, and don't forget to clone you mac address. thats it it's what i did and it worked i hope this helps.
havaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 18:14   #25
indigoallan
Inactive

indigoallan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I had a similar problem with VM and this router. Simple (although tell me that 3 hours ago) is to click on WAN setup, click Dynamic IP User, enter your first name in DHCP (or any word!) and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the MAC address and the Default are the same.

Click Clone MAC next to MAC (not default) and it will put your computer MAC address in here. Click save then when done, click status and you should see your WAN IP.

Worked for me.....hope it helps you!
indigoallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 09:19   #26
Pacman1854
Inactive

Services: Telewest Cable, Freeview
Pacman1854 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been directed to this thread as I've had no end of problems with this router, and I've had it less than a week.

Had the same connection problems as above, trying to get it to 'talk' to Virgin Media, but having read the various replies on here I might be able to get it working.

Problem now is that, when I plug the router in as I have done previously, the PC will not now find it.

Originally, when I connected to the PC it would show on the 'Network' screen in Windows, and there would just be a cross between the router and the internet. I then disconnected it all in frustration. Based on the answers on here, particularly about the set-up screen which I could get into, I thought I'd have another go and connected it back up, but now as well as the cross between the router and the internet there is a yellow triangle between the PC and the router, which is now doesn't show as a router but as an unknown network.

No matter how I connect/disconnect the modem/router/PC it now won't find the router so I can't even get to the point of getting to it's set-up screen as Windows says it's not there.

Before it all gets packed up and sent back (possibly in little pieces) does anyone know why Windows won't now find it, and what's changed??
Pacman1854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 19:50   #27
Pacman1854
Inactive

Services: Telewest Cable, Freeview
Pacman1854 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't believe it.

Had the cables in the wrong way round

Cables in the right way, followed the earlier posts regarding connection and we have lift-off.

Desk-top and laptop both buzzing away online.
Pacman1854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 22:09   #28
i02fesea
Inactive

i02fesea is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

I have this router sweex LW055 and I have fixed all this problem with the new firmware apr-m14h-v1158en.lfi from the website http://alonline.eu/. It is a different model, but use the same firmware and this fix all the problems with the WAN connection, so you don't need to use any trick for the configuration. I hope that this help to all the people that have problems. Good luck
i02fesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 20:19   #29
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by i02fesea View Post
I have this router sweex LW055 and I have fixed all this problem with the new firmware apr-m14h-v1158en.lfi from the website http://alonline.eu/. It is a different model, but use the same firmware and this fix all the problems with the WAN connection, so you don't need to use any trick for the configuration. I hope that this help to all the people that have problems. Good luck
Thanks for the input...

Hope you find some help in return if you need it...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:41   #30
chardy100
Inactive

chardy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by i02fesea View Post
My first post on here. I did my usual impulsive trick & bought a sweex Lw055 and only researched it AFTER it started to be problematic. I should have checked in here first. Anyway, I have had similar probs to you guys, it worked for a while then stopped connecting. I took the above advice and installed the above firmware (with some trepidation, cos the installation instructions for the firmware tell you to make sure that the 'edition info' matches the code on their diagram, or you will render the router unusable - and it didn't completely match!) but it seems to have fixed it. PC & netbook both working flawlessly. Thanks for the advice.
chardy100 is offline   Reply With Quote