Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shock, Horror.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

RAC and AA

Old 16-03-2012, 09:38   #1
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
RAC and AA

Had my renewal with the RAC for £113. gave them a call and told them I could get the same cover with homestart thrown in from the AA for £100.99.
(well £110 with personal cover which I have)

so she gave me homestart and an extended 2 months and I stay on personal cover, for staying.

I suppose the obvious thing to do is just swap between the RAC and the AA every year using Quidco or Topcashback.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2012, 09:40   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: RAC and AA

Good advice, thanks. I've just started with the AA but will give that wheeze a try next time round.

I have had service from uber-cheap breakdown insurers in the past but it's a false economy. All they do is send a recovery truck from their nearest 'agent', who drags your car back to his own garage and makes you wait three weeks until he has time to fix your car.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:46   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I got an a
extra special deal with RAC when I got my new car through KIA.They are still offering a good deal so staying with them at the moment.
Old 16-03-2012, 09:49   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

You do have to phone them up after a year or they try to metaphorically (hopefully!) screw you. I was with AA and they almost doubled my monthly cost! Had to phone them up, say I was leaving for RAC and they got the price down to only about £10 more expensive.

I agree the uber-cheap ones that are effectively a network of third-party recovery companies suck.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:57   #5
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I think the main thing you need is recovery. where they'll take you to your destination. which with me will be home.
if you breakdown 200 miles away from home I don't want to be towed to a garage. and then have to make my way home after that. which will be more expense.

the cover you get with car insurance policies is just the basic (which you can increase sometimes) but the basic is not a lot of use to a lot of people really.

swapping between the 2 every year would mean you getting it at the heavily discounted price for new customers they do.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:05   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well have been with the AA for 24 years on April 18th.

I get Homestart, Roadside and Complementary Relay, can recall what I pay, but will unlikey ever change.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:06   #7
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You do have to phone them up after a year or they try to metaphorically (hopefully!) screw you. I was with AA and they almost doubled my monthly cost!
I got mine down to £50 with the RAC with no call out discounts for the past 5 years. but because I did call them out last year I lost the discount and went up to the £113 this year.
Old 17-03-2012, 10:55   #8
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

I got rac home,relay etc using tesco clubcard vouchers a couple of years ago. worked out about £63. now get rac included with my yearly service through nissan.
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:22   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I now have my 32 years badge with The Guild Of Experienced Motorists.

They have a breakdown assist that I have found to be as close to perfect as it could be, plus many other services for members.

http://www.motoringassist.com/
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 20:49   #10
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Myself and the other half both have AA membership and we don't pay them a penny!
Old 17-03-2012, 20:52   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I always use my saved up Tesco clubcard vouchers for RAC, so it doesn't cost me a penny.

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/..._TypeID%3A5%29
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 22:38   #12
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I will only use AA, I only pay around £80 a year which covers me when more than a mile from home.
Old 17-03-2012, 22:48   #13
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I will only use AA, I only pay around £80 a year which covers me when more than a mile from home.
Good news. you haven't gotta push it so far anymore. it's only 1/4 mile away now.
Old 18-03-2012, 09:01   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We live at the top of a hill. We wouldn't even have to push ours.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 22:59   #15
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Cheers for that, proves I read my papers when I renew!