Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 14-03-2012, 16:10   #1381
jimexbox
Inactive

jimexbox is on a distinguished roadjimexbox is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I asked VM about this message in the green box today, and was told that as part of the preparation for the upgrade, some of the work has already been done, and this appears to be what has triggered the premature message. But you need to go by the dates given instead.
They could upgrade me now if they wanted, 100Mb available in my area and I'm now on 8 channel download, only 1 up still.
jimexbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 16:18   #1382
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I had.two jobs today to "upgrade" broadband to 60meg, my area hasn't even got the increased upload speeds doh!

Anyway it doesn't work, it just runs at 30meg. Seems the new bundles with included double speed early are being offered by retentions, so 1st April will be when the new pricing comes out. Vip120?
jb66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 18:45   #1383
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

What I don't understand is why my area is going to take until July onwards to get the double speed when my UBR has had 100Mb and upgraded upload for over 6 months. I do only have 4 downstream channels, but it just seems to be a long time to wait when the UBR can obviously already handle the 100Mb speeds.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:04   #1384
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
What I don't understand is why my area is going to take until July onwards to get the double speed when my UBR has had 100Mb and upgraded upload for over 6 months. I do only have 4 downstream channels, but it just seems to be a long time to wait when the UBR can obviously already handle the 100Mb speeds.
It can handle the speeds but not the potential extra usage doubling everyone's speed may cause.
Old 15-03-2012, 00:07   #1385
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Just wondering I have the supplied WNR2000 from VM currently on 30mb going to 60mb once the roll out starts will I need to order the SH?

I'm sure this modem I have now would be ok with 60mb.....Hear the horror stories on here over the SH wireless connection problems and 99% of the stuff in our house that uses the internet is wireless apart from my pc
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 00:15   #1386
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

it will defo handle the speed and although I have seen people have problems with it in the past if it is working alright for you atm and you are happy then stick with it dude. I don't think there is anything on the shub router wise that will out perform your current router. As one of my favourite sayings goes; if it aint broken dont fix it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 01:17   #1387
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Just wondering I have the supplied WNR2000 from VM currently on 30mb going to 60mb once the roll out starts will I need to order the SH?

I'm sure this modem I have now would be ok with 60mb.....Hear the horror stories on here over the SH wireless connection problems and 99% of the stuff in our house that uses the internet is wireless apart from my pc
I was told that you need the superhub for anything 50mb or above, although General Maximus says otherwise, so this may not be the case.

My PC is wired, but I have two PS3's, two laptops, and 4 smartphones all working off my superhubs wifi at the same time, with no problems at all. Although some people have problems, and seem to thing that you would need to use it in modem mode.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:17   #1388
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You generally need,the shub for 30mbit as it is docsis 3, however the old 50mbit modem can work for now.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:25   #1389
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

if he is currently on 30mbit we know his modem can hadnle docsis 3. I have checked and it can handle the wan to lan throughput as well; as in 60mbit.

There is no point changing stuff for the sake of it dude, especially if it is potentially going to cause you problems (shub). If they posts you the shub which I which I they will do, let them provision your current modem for the new speed and see how it goes. If things don't work out whack the shub in modem mode and continue to use things as they are.
Old 15-03-2012, 15:28   #1390
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough
Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Before - 30MB Down 3MB Upload
After - 60MB Down 3mb Upload
UBR - leic16-2-0

Quote:
Connection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 315000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 151 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 7.1 dBmV 42.6 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 149 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 7.6 dBmV 42.8 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 150 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 7.3 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 152 55616000 Kbits/sec 323000000 Hz 6.6 dBmV 42.6 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 1 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 54.5 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 6782
Max Traffic Rate 66000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 6781
Max Traffic Rate 3072000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

Current System Time:Thu Mar 15 15:26:13 2012

Upgrade option isn't available when you check myvirginmedia but i'm not going into that. As you can see i have been upgraded, so i assume the area is upgraded?
AaronCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 15:31   #1391
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

so why are VM rolling out new configs to areas which have high utilisation and also where there is still no extra DS channels added?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 15:45   #1392
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCooper View Post
Upgrade option isn't available when you check myvirginmedia but i'm not going into that. As you can see i have been upgraded, so i assume the area is upgraded?
Nope, as you still have 3Mbit upload. Once the mass migration for your area has occured that will change to 6Mbit

Also in the original post for the thread:

Quote:
Please remember that this thread is ONLY for members to report when their area is upgraded (not upgrades via customer services or retentions)
Old 15-03-2012, 15:47   #1393
General Maximus
Ran Away

because they are ming mongs
Old 15-03-2012, 17:12   #1394
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
so why are VM rolling out new configs to areas which have high utilisation and also where there is still no extra DS channels added?
VM and BT have been given a huge wedge of money by the government. BT are using it to set up their fibre network, and VM are using it to improve theirs. The upgrades are part of this improvement, so I would hope the congestion issue will be sorted at the same time.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 17:18   #1395
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Bull. Excreta.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote