Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 16-04-2012, 19:38   #1591
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
they just dont learn do they. I wish I had the money to sue them out of principle
There is no other router with combined modem that works on Virgin Media. So technically they are right, however annoying that may be.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 20:09   #1592
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

Had super Hub installed on the 60Meg upgrade today Wirelsss is a JOKE We have the Virgin Dongle and this computer is Hard wired . Wirelss very poor no more than 20megs if it gets that. After install bloke did his best and left it working but it went Downhill
so hour on Phone with tech Take over we eventually went back to our D-Link-615 router and its far better but we are getting drop in Wireless connection every five minutes or so . Will be on phone tomorrow get this looked at with a tech dont ask me about levels as i havnt a clue how to check or going to thats there problem all i know is there are now 2 boxes Screwed into HUB 1 a conditioner and other nothing i can read . very Unhappy at all this as was working perfect on 10meg FREE UPGRADE Wish i had said no thanks
its very unsightly and rigid and any knock could break it very worried about this.

Tony

farnborough
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:22   #1593
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

No sign of doubled upload here yet, but had double download since last week (pretty much bang on 62.95Mb/s which is the full 66000000 bps I've even had speedtest results just over 63Mb/s but I doubt it's accurate there as that is over the max in config.

I guess the upload doubling is on a slightly different schedule that's not been announced as everyone seems to be sitting on their old upload speed (or even slightly less in config, I'm getting 2.90Mb/s instead of 3.33Mb/s that I had on 30Mb!)

I feel VM need to think more about upload, their 10:1 ratio already seems pretty out of date when BT Infinity 80Mb/s users get 20Mb upload. I think it should be 10:3 giving an 18Mb upload on 60Mb and 36Mb on 120Mb. With upstream channel bonding 4 x 20Mb channels I don't see why that's not possible as it is a shared service as it is already. Then when VM release 240Mb (with 72Mb upload) or what ever they could introduce a Super Hub 2.0 with even more upstream bonding capability to cope.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:28   #1594
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They haven't started upstream bonding yet I don't think
Old 17-04-2012, 10:41   #1595
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post

I guess the upload doubling is on a slightly different schedule that's not been announced as everyone seems to be sitting on their old upload speed (or even slightly less in config, I'm getting 2.90Mb/s instead of 3.33Mb/s that I had on 30Mb!)
The upload config is slightly less on the 60 meg than on the 30 meg. I have no idea why!?
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:59   #1596
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post
No sign of doubled upload here yet, but had double download since last week (pretty much bang on 62.95Mb/s which is the full 66000000 bps I've even had speedtest results just over 63Mb/s but I doubt it's accurate there as that is over the max in config.

I feel VM need to think more about upload, their 10:1 ratio already seems pretty out of date when BT Infinity 80Mb/s users get 20Mb upload. I think it should be 10:3 giving an 18Mb upload on 60Mb and 36Mb on 120Mb. With upstream channel bonding 4 x 20Mb channels I don't see why that's not possible as it is a shared service as it is already. Then when VM release 240Mb (with 72Mb upload) or what ever they could introduce a Super Hub 2.0 with even more upstream bonding capability to cope.
Marketing runs VM and I assume they have determined its download speed which sells broadband.

Whether or not its easily possible for VM to add many more US channels in each are to do what you said I dont know, based on what ignition posted earlier in the year in regards to many untapped frequencies following the upstream work in areas, and what comcast do in the USA it would suggest what you said is possible with the channels although I think your proposed end user speeds would lead to probable congestion still. As it would give the top tier a whopping 30mbit of upload on a 72mbit capacity. Not quite as bad now tho with 10mbit upload on 18mbit capacity.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:29   #1597
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Marketing runs VM....

Why do some people post complete nonsense and do they expect to be taken seriously when they do?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:42   #1598
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post

Why do some people post complete nonsense and do they expect to be taken seriously when they do?
You MUST be in the best position of all to answer that question.
Old 17-04-2012, 14:43   #1599
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Are you 12 or something?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:06   #1600
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:33   #1601
starfish
cf.member

starfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I love it that they either dont know what they are talking about or are just so comfortable lieing. She has provisioned you for 100/5 and that isnt magically going to change over night. You have been upgraded early, probably before they have done upgrade work in your area, and you wont get 100/10 till the rest of your area gets upgraded
I thought the 'old' 100 Mb connection (when it was first introduced) had a 10 Mb upload speed, so did it/does it only have 5 Mb? Same as the 50 Mb connection?

Our area is due for upgrades between April and July so I called up last week to see what would happen to my package if I'd asked for an upgrade from 50 Mb to 100 Mb now and maybe have the V+ box swapped for the Tivo. The nice lady said I would save about £6 a month, I could keep a free V box for another room and I would not have to pay the installation fee. So we had it all done today, including a new TV socket in my son's room for the V box. I haven't had time to check the speeds properly yet but the upload is definitely still 5 Mb, as it was. I have ordered a cat6 cable to see if it's going to make much difference; hopefully, it will be here tomorrow. What is the maximum speed I can get on a cat5 cable? Not sure if the make matters but I always buy Belkin cables.
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:47   #1602
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There are two different 100Mbit tiers.

'100' was the one that was introduced as part of the 100Mbit rollout. This was sold up till the beginning of March for existing customers and cost more than XXL 50. This has a 10Mbit upload

From that point onwards existing customers wanting 100Mbit as an upgrade or part of a Collection get XXL 100. This has a 5Mbit upload as it's XXL with the downstream doubled from 50 to 100Mbit

The reason for this is I would expect is to help manage upstream capacity in each area
Old 19-04-2012, 21:00   #1603
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I have ordered a cat6 cable to see if it's going to make much difference; hopefully, it will be here tomorrow. What is the maximum speed I can get on a cat5 cable? Not sure if the make matters but I always buy Belkin cables.
Cat5 cables can do 100Mbit, most can do 1000Mbit. Cat5e cables can do 1000Mbit.

Cat6 cables can do 10000Mbit.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 21:06   #1604
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

cat5 sucks. 5e should be minimum for high tier broadband speeds.

cat5 should be associated with ADSL.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 21:19   #1605
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
cat5 sucks. 5e should be minimum for high tier broadband speeds.

cat5 should be associated with ADSL.
So pray tell us why CAT5 sucks? Within 100m it'll still do gigabit..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote