Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 25-10-2016, 13:14   #721
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
We've discussed before how many, once they are used to a UI, don't want to change or can't see the benefits of an updated one. People ridiculed the iPad as an oversized phone that couldn't make calls, before they got to use one.

I'm not saying that's you, but still it can be hard to appreciate the benefits from a spec sheet or a brief play. Sky Q is still in development and has some rough edges.
If Sky Q just has a better UI it kind of back up my point that it's not as revolutionary as is being made out. I think the UI is very sleek but it doesn't have the functionality that I don't already have available to me. In short looks and feels great but not enough to justify taking out a Sky contract.

This comes from more than just a quick play, perhaps poor choice of words on my part. I spent a few weeks running through some tests I had to see the outcome, comparing it with my Tivo. I was genuinely interested in switching to Sky but felt slightly underwhelmed, the same way i would if someone brought a Sonos system to my house and started playing music wirelessly.....when I already have this via several of Raspery Pis and several Class-D amps.

My main point is that Sky Q isn't as far ahead that a new PVR couldn't at least match it and VM customers can at least expect this will be the case with the new Tivo. However my own opinion is that a TiVO powered VM box is unlikely to be up to the job both when it's released and, due to Sky's apparent frequency of updating Sky Q, in the future.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2016, 13:23   #722
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I never said it did I said they've already launched UHD footy , the lead on the Sky Q project said he's confident the standards for HDR will work with the current Sky Q hardware. Remember Sky is part of the UHD alliance so I'm pretty sure they know what's going on in the industry and requirements for the different standards.
Absolutely, not disagreeing with any of that.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 13:24   #723
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
If Sky Q just has a better UI it kind of back up my point that it's not as revolutionary as is being made out. I think the UI is very sleek but it doesn't have the functionality that I don't already have available to me. In short looks and feels great but not enough to justify taking out a Sky contract.

This comes from more than just a quick play, perhaps poor choice of words on my part. I spent a few weeks running through some tests I had to see the outcome, comparing it with my Tivo. I was genuinely interested in switching to Sky but felt slightly underwhelmed, the same way i would if someone brought a Sonos system to my house and started playing music wirelessly.....when I already have this via several of Raspery Pis and several Class-D amps.

My main point is that Sky Q isn't as far ahead that a new PVR couldn't at least match it and VM customers can at least expect this will be the case with the new Tivo. However my own opinion is that a TiVO powered VM box is unlikely to be up to the job both when it's released and, due to Sky's apparent frequency of updating Sky Q, in the future.
I just want the feature to reorder the channels wherever I want and on whatever numbers I want. I can do this on my 10 year old freeview box costing £17, yet have not been able to do this on a cable box for a similar amount of time.

I don't want advanced stuff, just basic things including speed of use.
Old 25-10-2016, 13:30   #724
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I agree, which is why I didn't buy a "HDR" tv this year.

When next years tvs come out, I'm looking for the "compatible with HDR BBC Iplayer shows" badge, or whatever it will be called before I hand over my cash.

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

When the BBC were doing their 4k/HDR tests earlier this year they were using a transponder on the Astra satellite and I'd bet Sky were involved in that.

As Jong said, current tvs may be compatible with HLG, but its whether the tv manufacturers choose to enable the feature. Samsung were asked this directly a few months ago whether they would enable HLG on their current HDR tvs and their response was silence.... yet they tout their top of their range tvs as being fully HDR compatible.
As an owner of a 2016 LG OLED I have a very personal interest in this one!

LG have gone further than Samsung, demonstrating HLG on their "newest OLED TVs". Nonetheless I am still not putting any big bets on it!

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post

Fair enough. I would say that Sky Q offers more than juts a UI refresh. Again, a bit like the iPad, it opens up a different way of working that is hard to back away from. But I get that not everyone will ever feel the need for it.
Old 25-10-2016, 13:51   #725
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
As an owner of a 2016 LG OLED I have a very personal interest in this one!

LG have gone further than Samsung, demonstrating HLG on their "newest OLED TVs". Nonetheless I am still not putting any big bets on it!.
Blimey, you've got money to burn...! I saw those in the shops, very nice.

I think for you, regardless of HDR, any of those OLED tvs are far, far better than any LCD tv on the market today. So, perhaps you might lose a bit of extra colour if it doesn't turn out to be compatible, but really, they're the best tvs around. If I had one of those, I wouldn't be too fussed with HDR.

Do you like it?

BTW, Samsung also demonstrated HLG on a specially modded 2016 tv. That was when they were asked if they were going to upgrade all their tvs, only for the questioner to be met with a wall of silence.

Last edited by Horizon; 25-10-2016 at 13:55.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:07   #726
Jong1
Inactive

The closest I have ever seen to the perfect TV! Hard to fault. Even SDR looks HDR-like, with those inky blacks

Very much recommended!
Old 25-10-2016, 14:14   #727
Horizon
Media Watcher

I'm hoping the price of the current oled models will come down a lot when the new ones come out, so I will consider then.

I do need a new tv for the living room and was looking at a panasonic, but for the reasons already stated I will wait until next year and see what the manufacturers release.
Old 25-10-2016, 14:41   #728
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The closest I have ever seen to the perfect TV! Hard to fault. Even SDR looks HDR-like, with those inky blacks

Very much recommended!
Mine is coming Thursday :-)
Ready to be hooked up to the PS4 pro and V6 (when it finally comes out) :-)
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 15:20   #729
Jong1
Inactive

Enjoy! It's a great set
Old 25-10-2016, 17:21   #730
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Streaming from V6 box to phone/tablet/laptop via TV Anywhere app will be a feature...woo hoo.

Info thanks to SENSE on the Coming Soon thread
Old 25-10-2016, 17:24   #731
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Streaming from V6 box to phone/tablet/laptop via TV Anywhere app will be a feature...woo hoo.

Info thanks to SENSE on the Coming Soon thread
And there you was the other day being a pessimistic little soul.
Old 25-10-2016, 17:31   #732
Horizon
Media Watcher

The fact that VM are talking about V6 in relation to TV Anywhere would suggest it's about to launch otherwise why bother mentioning it?
Old 25-10-2016, 17:32   #733
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Believ6 in better
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 17:32   #734
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Really, Are you sure?
I've never said anything bad about the V6 box
Old 25-10-2016, 17:41   #735
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Really, Are you sure?
I've never said anything bad about the V6 box
It was meant in jest UC.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Believ6 in better
No doubt the usual reliable doomsayers will say entirely the opposite Andrew.