Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 20-11-2014, 17:30   #5206
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Where on earth did you get that from? The only service I use that could be classed as Premium is HBO content, and I pay for it.

And I'm sorry, but in my mind, you were clearly talking about the competition between Sky and VM when you were referring to the status quo.

Well said.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2014, 17:37   #5207
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Where on earth did you get that from? The only service I use that could be classed as Premium is HBO content, and I pay for it.

And I'm sorry, but in my mind, you were clearly talking about the competition between Sky and VM when you were referring to the status quo.
The post was a reply to the two of you, and said so - the premium content line was aimed at Old Boy's issue with the price of sport.

And I don't care what you thought I was referring to, the status quo means the current state of things. It's really not for you to decide what I mean when I say things.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Incidentally I wasn't the first to mention the status quo, so I couldn't say how it was meant when first brought into the conversation. But my use of it has been correctly, and as stated.
Old 20-11-2014, 17:57   #5208
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
the premium content line was aimed at Old Boy's issue with the price of sport.

Anyone who doesn't have an issue with the price of sport, after the outrageous price hike in the last PL rights sale, clearly has way more money than sense IMHO. Customers will end up paying for it one way or another.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 18:58   #5209
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't have an issue with the price of sport, after the outrageous price hike in the last PL rights sale, clearly has way more money than sense IMHO. Customers will end up paying for it one way or another.
Ok, I have a problem with the advertised price of Sky Sports, and I won't pay it. But, I recognise the right of Sky, Virgin and others to charge those prices and accept that it is for me to decide whether or not I pay them.

Your point that most people are unhappy with this arrangement is not evidenced by the fact that these companies still feel able to charge these prices, and subscriber numbers remain high - albeit a minority are cord cutting.

My point is this. Because Sky and Virgin offer differing products within the same market place th consumer is able to play them off against each other to his advantage. I, for example, was able to get a good deal with Virgin for Sky Sports because they recognised that I could move to Sky if they didn't do their best to keep me. If both companies offered exactly the same product then it wouldn't work in the way you think it would. It wouldn't mean that they would compete on price. It would mean that they would set their prices at a similar level and stop offering discounts on the basis that there wouldn't really be anywhere else for you to go. We know this because that is what has happened in every industry where there is no differentiation. It would mean Sky would have no reason to experiment with 3d because it wouldn't gain them custom. It would mean Virgin wouldn't try to continually improve their broadband speed because it wouldn't put them ahead of the competition.

Companies must be allowed to innovate, because that's when the consumer really benefits, and the only way to incentivise that is to allow them to earn from their unique aspects without being required to share them with the largest competitor.

Nobody is forced to take their products, nor is anybody entitled to receive them.
Old 20-11-2014, 23:00   #5210
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Andy_m - well said throughout these last couple of pages. It really is up to the consumer to pay for the channels (or not) as the case maybe. I agree the status quo is fine, I can not express my thoughts any better than you have yours.

PB. Anyone who does have an issue about the price they pay for sports and then continues to pay it after it increases, and still complains after it goes up, clearly has more money than sense IMHO. And yes, the longer customers continue to pay for it, the longer they will continue the price rises. They are perpetuating their own problem.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 12:25   #5211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Ok, I have a problem with the advertised price of Sky Sports, and I won't pay it. But, I recognise the right of Sky, Virgin and others to charge those prices and accept that it is for me to decide whether or not I pay them.

Your point that most people are unhappy with this arrangement is not evidenced by the fact that these companies still feel able to charge these prices, and subscriber numbers remain high - albeit a minority are cord cutting.

My point is this. Because Sky and Virgin offer differing products within the same market place th consumer is able to play them off against each other to his advantage. I, for example, was able to get a good deal with Virgin for Sky Sports because they recognised that I could move to Sky if they didn't do their best to keep me. If both companies offered exactly the same product then it wouldn't work in the way you think it would. It wouldn't mean that they would compete on price. It would mean that they would set their prices at a similar level and stop offering discounts on the basis that there wouldn't really be anywhere else for you to go. We know this because that is what has happened in every industry where there is no differentiation. It would mean Sky would have no reason to experiment with 3d because it wouldn't gain them custom. It would mean Virgin wouldn't try to continually improve their broadband speed because it wouldn't put them ahead of the competition.

Companies must be allowed to innovate, because that's when the consumer really benefits, and the only way to incentivise that is to allow them to earn from their unique aspects without being required to share them with the largest competitor.

Nobody is forced to take their products, nor is anybody entitled to receive them.
I am pleased that you are so happy, Andy. But if everybody thought like this, nothing would ever change.

There is a better way, and just because a product is the same wholesale price to all suppliers does not mean that providers cannot differentiate their service from their competitors. You can use different price structures, choose which channels you will make available and even create new channels using programmes that exist on a number of different channels that are available elsewhere.

You may be happy to pay higher prices and have less choice, or to go without if the price is too high, but for me that is definitely not good enough. I think many would subscribe to that.

But as long as you are happy, Andy, hey!

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

Quote:
In response to passingbat and Old Boy, but in no particular order...

Status quo means " the existing state of affairs". The existing state of affairs is that streaming services exist. Using them is hardly a " way around the problem" either.

And since you haven't done the sort of extensive market research that Sky, Virgin, Netflix et al have, I don't see how you can so confidently say that your view is that of "most people".

I'd also question your use of the word "needs", because you mean "wants", and we can't always have what we want, but I reckon you probably have enough of what you need.

We also have the highest quality free to air programming of anywhere in the World, imo.

I'm sorry that you begrudge paying premium prices for premium content, but I've had half price Sky Sports for the last 6 months because differentiation works for the consumer.
I didn't say that I begrudged paying more for premium content, because I don't. But I certainly begrudge paying the highest price in the world because of the greed and divisive practices of certain companies.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 13:24   #5212
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sky and BT prepare for battle.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...er-league-bids
Old 21-11-2014, 15:01   #5213
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
prices up and up only certainty
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 17:07   #5214
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am pleased that you are so happy, Andy. But if everybody thought like this, nothing would ever change.

There is a better way, and just because a product is the same wholesale price to all suppliers does not mean that providers cannot differentiate their service from their competitors. You can use different price structures, choose which channels you will make available and even create new channels using programmes that exist on a number of different channels that are available elsewhere.

You may be happy to pay higher prices and have less choice, or to go without if the price is too high, but for me that is definitely not good enough. I think many would subscribe to that.

But as long as you are happy, Andy, hey!

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

I didn't say that I begrudged paying more for premium content, because I don't. But I certainly begrudge paying the highest price in the world because of the greed and divisive practices of certain companies.
No, this isn't a case of I'm alright, Jack, so you should stop moaning. I want a better deal for the consumer, but without wishing to be too unkind, and I may be wrong, I think my understanding of product differentiation as a business concept is a bit better than yours, and your way simply won't achieve what you want it to.

Either way I think we're probably well past the stage where we should agree to disagree so I'll leave it there with sincere thanks to all involved for an interesting debate.
Old 22-11-2014, 18:15   #5215
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, this isn't a case of I'm alright, Jack, so you should stop moaning. I want a better deal for the consumer, but without wishing to be too unkind, and I may be wrong, I think my understanding of product differentiation as a business concept is a bit better than yours, and your way simply won't achieve what you want it to.

Either way I think we're probably well past the stage where we should agree to disagree so I'll leave it there with sincere thanks to all involved for an interesting debate.
Don't be moody, Andy, it's just a discussion. I am quite happy for us to agree to disagree, I respect your opinion. I just want things to change and I don't subscribe to the view that because things operate in a certain way, it has to stay like that.
Old 22-11-2014, 20:25   #5216
andy_m
cf.mega poster

I'd be genuinely interested to hear if anyone else thought that post was appeared "moody"?
Old 22-11-2014, 20:45   #5217
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I'd be genuinely interested to hear if anyone else thought that post was appeared "moody"?
But you did say that this was beyond agreeing to disagree. Sounded moody to me, but glad to see you are cool. Didn't mean us to fall out, so sorry if I upset you
Old 22-11-2014, 22:14   #5218
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But you did say that this was beyond agreeing to disagree. Sounded moody to me, but glad to see you are cool. Didn't mean us to fall out, so sorry if I upset you
I said we were "beyond the stage" where we should agree to disagree - it's quite clear we're not going to win each other round, so I didn't see much point in continuing. I don't think the discussion descended into anything other than respectful debate and when I offered sincere thanks for the discussion I meant it.

The irony of the piece is that the news of the latest price increases have spurred me into action, and I have a deal in place with another provider that to be honest better suits what I want at a price I'm happy with and a superb cash back referral. Ideally I'd be cutting the cord, but I tried unsuccessfully to convince the Mrs this time last year and not much has changed. I'm hoping that after the 18 month contract is finished I'll be able to make a convincing case for relying on a mix of streaming services, but we'll see.

So after everything in the last few pages I'll be phoning Virgin tomorrow to give them them a choice between fighting for my business or cancelling my services with them. I contacted them earlier and was offered TV M for free on top of broadband and phone, keeping the TiVo as effectively a smart(ish) freeview+hd box - but actually their broadband is a good £10 or so more expensive than other providers in my area and I'd be spending another £10-15 on streaming services so wouldn't actually see that much of a saving. Now that I finally have FTTC in my area, I have options outside of the big two, which hasn't always been the case.

Shame as I've enjoyed being a Virgin customer, but TiVo no longer holds the pull for me it once did when suggestions was still a working feature and I stand by what I've said earlier in this thread - you can't complain about what private companies charge for their services, because they're not necessities - you either pay it or you don't.
Old 23-11-2014, 01:51   #5219
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Moody? nah don't think so mate, you just come across as a friggin know all!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:50   #5220
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Moody? nah don't think so mate, you just come across as a friggin know all!
That's me!